The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: The challenges ahead (Biden's America)

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:42 pm
Sunsilver wrote:N.E. Brigand: LONG overdue IMO!
A clarification regarding the alleged Russian bounties on U.S. troops: the sanctions and expulsions are not in response to that happening. The U.S. only has moderate confidence in the intelligence on that story, and thus the U.S. response is, via diplomatic channels, to give Russia a chance to explain itself.
I also saw an announcement yesterday that Biden is planning to invite Putin to the White House. Would LOVE to be a fly on the wall during THAT meeting! :D
One article today said that the story last year about Russian bounties on U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan might have been leaked, despite U.S. intelligence agencies' uncertainty about it, in order to pressure the U.S. not to leave Afghanistan.

So it could be that the sanctions on Russia announced today, which included a comment about that uncertainty, were timed to follow Biden's announcement yesterday that U.S. troops (and NATO troops) will be leaving Afghanistan by September.
Here's a good story in the Washington Examiner, a conservative outlet, about whether or not Russian put bounties on U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan:

Inside the CIA and NSA disagreement over Russian bounties story

The CIA continues to have "moderate" confidence in this claim, based on five different information streams (including evidence of money transferred from the GRU to the Taliban and reports from sensitive sources in Afghanistan). The NSA, based on its own separate sources of information (or the lack thereof: they would expect to have collected communications by GRU officers setting up these payments, and they don't have that), has "low" confidence in the claim.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

By a 51-49 vote, Vanita Gupta today became Associate Attorney General (the number three position at the Dept. of Justice), a role which hasn't been held by a Senate-confirmed person since 2018. Even though the Presidency and the Senate were both in Republican hands from Jan. 2017 through Jan. 2021.

A large part of Biden's presidency is just returning to regular practices, and if the response to that is just, "So what? What's so impressive about behaving normally?", I guess I want to reply, "Why weren't you asking every day for the past three years when this important position was going to be filled?"
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This Earth Day, I’m proud to say science is back. - President Joe Biden
Thank you, Joe! :love:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Wouldn't statehood for the District of Columbia make life easier for Joe Manchin? The two additional senators would almost certainly be Democrats, and with Democrats thus holding a 52-50 lead, he would have more freedom to vote against his party, which ought to make him more popular in conservative West Virginia.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that for all of his denials, he enjoys being the tipping point.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I wonder if the Senate GOP realizes that, by denying DC statehood because of how they fear DC residents will vote, they've made a pretty serious concession about the viability of their party and its policies.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am confident that they do, and they don't care.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, unlike all of the other voter suppression efforts that they are engaged in, they can't even pretend to make a bad argument that the reason for their position is something other than keeping people likely to vote against them from voting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Larry Kudlow, who served in the Trump administration as the Director of the National Economic Council and now hosts a program on the Fox Business channel, is alarmed by Joe Biden's proposal to cut U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 50% over the next nine years. Kudlow warns that to meet such a goal, the U.S. would have to all but abandon meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy. This is the future he fears is coming:

"No steaks on the barbecue. I’m sure Middle America is just going to love that. Can you grill those Brussels sprouts? So get ready. You can throw back a plant-based beer with your grilled Brussels sprouts and wave your American flag. Call it July 4th Green."

I'm not a beer-drinker myself, so I didn't realize before today that it was derived from meat.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Grilled Brussels sprouts are delicious.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 pm I'm not a beer-drinker myself, so I didn't realize before today that it was derived from meat.
Not derived from meat, but most brewers use isinglass, from fish swim bladders, to clarify ale.
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Ah, fascinating!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Brussels sprouts are gross. A grilled portabella OTOH...yum.

As for Kudlow's panic...it used to be "They're going to ban cars!" or "There will be no electricity!" or "There will be no light bulbs!" and similar nonsense. Except technology advanced, those fear buttons got less viable so now it's "We're gonna be vegans!!" :roll:
Voronwë the Faithful

Brussel sprouts are awesome.
the U.S. would have to all but abandon meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy.
👍
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I love Brussels sprouts.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

To me, they taste of death. Those and kale are the only leafy greens I have compatibility issues with. I'm not sure what kale does that collards can't. They've got similar cooking times so I just substitute.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The U.S. Census Bureau has announced which states will gain and lose seats based on the 2020 decennial count.

Gaining:
+2 -- Texas
+1 -- Colorado
+1 -- Florida
+1 -- Montana
+1 -- North Carolina
+1 -- Oregon

Losing:
-1 California
-1 Illinois
-1 Michigan
-1 New York
-1 Ohio
-1 Pennsylvania
-1 West Virginia

If New York had counted just 89 more people (out of a statewide population of more than 19 million), it would have kept that seat.

- - - - - - - - - -
Addenda:

1. It appears that Republicans will control the redrawing of about 42% of Congressional districts wile Democrats will control the redrawing of about 16% of Congressional districts. The other 40% will be redrawn by neutral committees. This means that for the next ten years, the makeup of the House of Representative likely will again skew more Republican than the overall vote.

2. It had been expected that Texas would gain 3 seats, Florida would gain 2 seats, and Arizona would gain 1 seat. That they didn't suggests to some observers that Hispanics were undercounted -- something which many people thought was a goal of the Trump administration last year. How ironic (but not completely unforeseen) if it ended up hurting two states that voted for him in November.

Arizonans in particular had been assuming the state would grow from nine to ten seats. This will be the first time since 1950 that Arizona hasn't added a seat. Arizona's official population count per the 2020 Census is 7,158,923, which is actually *lower* than what the Census Bureau had estimated for Arizona in 2019, which was 7,278,717. Outside organizations had estimated that Arizona's 2020 population was close to 7.4 million, so it appears that more than 200,000 Arizona residents may not have been counted.
Last edited by N.E. Brigand on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Fox News issues a correction, acknowledging that nowhere does Joe Biden's climate plan call for people to eat less meat.
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm Fox News issues a correction, acknowledging that nowhere does Joe Biden's climate plan call for people to eat less meat.
Well, it should.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm Fox News issues a correction, acknowledging that nowhere does Joe Biden's climate plan call for people to eat less meat.
Well, it should.
A food website called Epicurious today announced that, in the interest of sustainability, it wouldn't be posting any new recipes that include beef. (Previously posted beef recipes apparently will remain accessible there.)

There were lots of outraged responses, but the funny thing is, buried deep in the Epicurious announcement, it says that the site actually stopped adding new beef recipes a year ago -- and nobody noticed.