When is PC too PC?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: When is PC too PC?

Post by Lalaith »

"Praise to Fill-in-the-Blank Radical Extremist Belief!"

I won't even describe what the person could be wearing just to cover all of the bases so as not to offend or single out anyone. :suspicious:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Going back to the "What's a suitable theme for a boardgame" question.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aw ... board-game
IN WAR, NOT EVERYONE IS A SOLDIER.

Imagine you wake up one day and the streets you used to walk are now in ruins. Rules and laws no longer apply. Your very existence is at stake now – the city is cut-off and if you want to survive, you must find food, medicine and weapons. Will you prey on the weak, or will you try to keep your morality?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What's un-PC about this?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, you're playing the survivor of a war, deciding how best to survive. That involves very real decisions about whether you share your food or leave others to starve. Whether you trust or kill strangers who may rob or kill you, or who may be simply refugees. Is that any better than playing a slave owner or a drug dealer? In many ways its more real, and more visceral than games people have had a problem with. Its making war and its effects personal, and making a game out of its atrocities.

To be clear, I think any of these are valid game subjects, but I'm struggling to understand why some of them are considered ok by Americans yet others aren't.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ok... I *think* (as I am not an American I really can't speak for why Americans are okay with one over the other) the notion is this - stuff is considered politically incorrect when it targets a specific community/ethnicity/type of people. Fat people, Women, Blacks, Mentally ill people etc.

A game like this doesn't target a specific set of people.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This particular example also seems to be treating the topic of war and the suffering it causes very thoughtfully and respectfully. No topic is "off limits" if it handles itself thoughtfully and respectfully. Though the greater and nearer the suffering, the more thoughtful and respectful you need to be.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists