"Privilege"

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: "Privilege"

Post by Jude »

The speaker is addressing a hypothetical person that thinks that people of other races are taking over, making white people a minority. Such people are often the sort of people that deny that racism still exists. So the question is forcing the person to acknowledge his or her contradictory views, (a)that it is a big deal if white people are no longer the majority (b)minorities are treated perfectly equally to majorities, so they should stop complaining.

edit: cross-posted with dave_lf
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I get that, but I don't see what is funny or amusing in any way about it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Now this I find amusing, which probably says as much about my lack of a sense of humor as my failure to find the other meme funny.
Attachments
imrs.wdp.jpg
imrs.wdp.jpg (180.82 KiB) Viewed 22157 times
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's not funny, it's just accurate.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

The funny thing is that is precisely what I would say about Al's Willy Wonker meme.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I remember living in the pre-PC world (where church members at a church social function would tell racist jokes in front of children). And this was in the Pacific Northwest. I guess we were all fifty years closer to our region's hideously racist history back then. Many of us have evolved.

Can't say I regret political correctness.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought this was funny, too.

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I'm so sick of political correctness.

Okay, try it without the political correctness then.

I'm so sick of progressives making accusations about racism and sexism where there is none. I'm so sick of free speech being stifled ( especially on college campuses ) by progressives and people being afraid to speak their mind because if they do some protester will denounce them incorrectly as racist or sexist and try to ruin their lives and force them out of their job. I'm sick of progressives acting like these vile and fascist attacks on freedom of thought aren't going on in our country and on our college campuses.

That was one dishonest and stupid cartoon.

I remember living in a country where we actually had freedom of speech. I'd like to live in that country again.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Both things are happening, IMO.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Faramond wrote: That was one dishonest and stupid cartoon.
Which one? Mine or Voronwes?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I am sure, based on the rest of Faramond's post, which followed the language of the cartoon from the Washington Post that I posted, that that was the one that he was referring to.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(Also, Al's wasn't a cartoon.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... -be-854972

Apparently it's more important to be politically correct than to use words in a coherent and meaningful way.
"She is diverse, that is the way she is written," the executive told THR immediately following his time in front of the press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour Tuesday. While Geller said it was too early in the process to explain just what he meant by diverse — whether Nancy is African-American, Asian-American or Latino, he said it would hinge on finding the right actress for the part. "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any ethnicity."
How can one person be diverse? What could that even mean? When this show inevitably sucks, you know the reason why. It has an executive who thinks a single person can be diverse!

I love how this executive directly contradicts himself in the last two sentences. Unless Caucasian isn't an ethnicity now? Maybe it's a sort of a disease or moral taint. It's like the racist business owner who swears he isn't racist. "Oh sure, I'm open to hiring any applicant, regardless of race. As long as he isn't black."

I am not saying that deciding a new Nancy Drew won't be white is racist, only that you can't say that she won't be white and at the same time say it's open to all ethnicities.

I suppose the Hardy Boys could be diverse -- at least there are two of them!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

They were; blonde and brunette, as I recall :D.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

"Diverse" has become shorthand in some contexts for "nonwhite." It's silly. But he also clearly thinks that "ethnicity" refers only to nonwhite people. It's just default thinking. Only "the other" needs a label; I am the norm, I require no label.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mary Robinette Kowal wrote: It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mary Robinette Kowal is a smart woman. (And a damn fine science fiction writer.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's about the best explanation of how privilege works

http://slowrobot.com/i/70925

Notice that "Richard" isn't doing anything wrong, until the very last panel.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s a pretty good comic.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Succinct and clear. Sharing it elsewhere.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.