Brexit Carried - Endgame

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

Re: Brexit Carried - Deal Defeated

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The focus seems to have shifted from the Conservatives to Labour, with nine MPs quitting the party this week, citing the party leadership's handling of Brexit and anti-Semitism. Others seem to be making similar noises. Two months ago it was May's leadership in trouble - now it looks like Corbyn's might be in more jeopardy.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If nothing else, British politics sure are entertaining, in the "what plot twist is going to happen next?" sense of entertaining.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Like the U.S. politics are hilarious from across the pond. And both will have a much larger blast radius than people seem to expect.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Under no illusions about the effects on Ireland!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Why is it comedians tend to be the best political pundits?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rendum-dup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Because humor deals in absurdity, so when absurdity prevails in the world, they are prepared. Same thing happened in the Soviet Union toward the end. :(

There's also "if you don't laugh, you'll cry."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not sure I posted this before

Túrin Turambar

Re: Brexit Carried - Deal Defeated...Again

Post by Túrin Turambar »

May's deal has gone down in a second vote, 391-242. MPs will vote on Wednesday evening on whether they want a no-deal Brexit. I can't imagine they'll vote yes. The next vote will be on whether the UK asks the EU for an extension of Article 50, deferring Brexit. The EU has said it will only grant one if there's a good reason. Otherwise there's now sixteen days until the UK crashes out of the EU, deal or no deal, on 29 March.
Voronwë the Faithful

What a clusterf***. I heard May speaking. My goodness she sounded terrible. I actually feel quite bad for her.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Now the Parliament has voted against a No-Deal Brexit, 321-278. In other words, the Parliament doesn't want No Deal, but also doesn't want the only deal currently on offer. There's 15 days left.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Has to be heading to Second Referendum. Or they're insane. Which is also likely.
Voronwë the Faithful

They can't be that insane. Can they?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Of course they can. Remember how the people who engineered the whole referendum process resigned as soon as it passed? The wheels have been off the bus ever since.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The *worst* part is the people this affects. All these people who have been relying on their UK/OtherEU Country passports to work in EU/UK. I know people who hold British passports and just took a tenure-track job in Europe and are assuming that Brexit will take years to happen before it affects them (because nothing is clear), and people who held EU passports and were laid off in the last "whatever-the-crap-firing-is-called-now" round in London because their small firm could not handle the uncertainty.

But, yes, do carry on.

I thought India was dysfunctional. AND let this be a reminder for all the parliamentary-system advocates that neither system (US compared to UK/India) is immune to dysfunction.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Now they've voted 412-212 to seek an extension from Brussels until June 30. There's no guarantee that they'll get one.

Interesting that 391 MPs voted against May's deal, 278 voted for No Deal, and now 212 voted against an extension. I have no idea how to read those numbers.

I'm with Al. I can't see any way out aside from putting May's deal, No Deal, and Remain up to a popular vote.
Voronwë the Faithful

Can that even be done by June 30 (assuming they can even get an extension till them).

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It's unlikely, so the EU is expected to push back and ask for the UK to ask for a longer extension. I understand, though, that May is putting up her deal for a third vote. If at first you don't succeed...
Voronwë the Faithful

Talk about the definition of insanity. :roll:

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Something I didn't realise until this morning was that Parliament did actually vote on an amendment to have a second referendum yesterday, but it went down to a crushing 332-85 defeat. Labour's view was 'not now, but not necessarily never', so they might formally support one at another time. I'm not sure when this other time would be. Still, it's a severe blow to the 'People's Vote' campaign.

The EU summit is on March 21, so that's when the request for an extension goes up.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has any of these lawmakers gone on record to explain what they expect to happen, in actual real life?