Brexit Carried - Endgame

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Brexit Carried - Deal Defeated...Again

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Unless (at least as I understand it, and it may have changed) they vote again on May's plan tomorrow and somehow pass it.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, they did vote on it again, and -- predictably -- it failed again. It was closer, but still not close enough to suggest that there is any chance that it will ever pass.

So I guess Monday they go back to debating alternates, and eventually take more indicative votes in effort to agree on a way forward? With customs union or a second referandum the most likely possibilities?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Pretty much, as far as I can tell. The indicative vote held earlier in the week for a second referendum was actually for a motion requiring any solution to be put up to a popular vote, so technically the Government could put up a simple "Do you approve of the Prime Minister's plan?". This would be bizarre, though. Then again, being bizarre doesn't seem to have been an impediment to things happening so far.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Another four indicative votes yesterday, all defeated (and one disrupted by naked climate change protestors gate-crashing the house). Two, however, got very close. A customs union, 273-276; and a requirement to put any solution to a second referendum, 280-292 (these are not mutually exclusive, btw). Common Market 2.0 also got to 262-282.

Parliament has again taken control of its schedule from the Government to hold more indicative votes tomorrow. Some are within a few votes of flipping, so expect some furious whipping. Cabinet is having a long meeting now. It might come down to sheer attrition.

Without any agreement, the UK leaves the EU without a deal on April 12.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Nate Silver shared this handy flowchart of the Brexit options here: https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 0165049345

Comments are worth scanning, cautiously. My favorite was "Brexit is like those Russian dash-cam videos on YouTube. You just know something bad is going to happen, but you do not know how bad, and you cannot look away." complete with a link to 16 minutes of Russian dash-cam videos.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Good god what's with those Russian drivers.....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Honestly, the Russian dashcam analogy is perfect. *lol*

I heard Russians have dash cams as insurance scams are a problem there. Don’t know if that is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I can't get over the irony of Brits complaining that people come take over their jobs when they used to go take over those people's countries.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

In fairness, when they did take over another country, they were often quite happy to let the existing population keep doing the work. ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Túrin Turambar wrote:In fairness, when they did take over another country, they were often quite happy to let the existing population keep doing the work. ;)
Fairness? Image

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

For some reason, the extensions don't seem to get widely reported in the media, but the EU has now granted the UK an extension until 31 October unless Parliament approves a deal first. The UK will take part in EU elections in May.
Voronwë the Faithful

How odd that that was not widely reported in the media!

Am I wrong in suspecting that Parliament will now punt until about October 25?
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I think they will Voronwë.
I did hear about the October 31 deadline, but through FB feed on of BBC News (I turn on live notifications.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:How odd that that was not widely reported in the media!
?
I did read it in the NYTimes...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Unless Parliament votes to prevent the UK holding European elections (in which case they would automatically crash out of the EU on 1 June), I think the most likely scenario is another staring contest at the end of October as all parties hope the others will blink first. Calling an early general election is a possibility but that would be a huge risk and I doubt many Tories are eager for a repeat of 2017.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Having lost Nigel Farage to the new Brexit Party, UKIP is making a bid for seats in the upcoming EU parliamentary elections with high-profile Youtubers Sargon of Akkad and Count Dankula, the latter who gained notoriety when he taught his dog to do a Nazi salute and ended up getting fined.

I’ve wondered at what point politically-outspoken Youtubers would start to run for office. This seems to be it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I completely lost my ability to recognize satire. That was satire, right?

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A very poor result for the Conservatives in this week's local government elections, with the party losing 1,333 seats and 44 councils. And an uninspiring one for Labour, losing 82 seats and 6 councils. The Liberal Democrats have been the big winner, gaining 704 seats and 10 councils, with most of the rest of the gains going to Independents. UKIP lost all 145 of their seats. I think it's fair to read this as a backlash against the way the major parties have handled Brexit, and probably also a show of support for a second referendum (which is Lib Dem policy under their 'Exit from Brexit' slogan).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A rudimentary knowledge of Russian grammar is required to understand why Brexit is now a present tense singular verb for a guest who says goodbye but continues to sit there and refuses to leave.

Eta: present tense singular third person, although it works as an infinitive
Last edited by Frelga on Sun May 05, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.