Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Trump's America

Post by River »

I just posted about this in the election thread. She was also in the helicopter with Trump and Pence and some other members of the inner circle. The disease is contagious a couple days before symptoms appear. They've been exposed.

We know for a fact Trump's in at least one risk category (age).

Do they wear masks when no one's watching? If their private behavior is the same as their public behavior, things could get interesting. And not in a good way.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

With the exception of Melania, Trump's family did not wear masks at the debate in Ohio on Tuesday as was required by the Cleveland clinic who sponsored the event.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

In what is some of the biggest news of the year, the President and First lady have both tested positive for COVID-19. For their friends and family, and for the stability of the U.S. as the election approaches, I wish them the mildest possible illness and a speedy recovery.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Let's hope the best for them and everyone who was at the debate, and those at the fundraisers today. I believe the virus begins shedding several days before a positive test so with all of the shouting that went on that doesn't bode well. :(
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wish both President and Mrs. Trump a speedy recovery, for their own sakes and for the country. At the same time I decry the recklessness and disregard for the most basic precautions that have put them and the country at such risk.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I'm only surprised it took this long. Sure hope he didn't give it to Biden too at the debate--he certainly spent enough time yelling in his general direction. That could make things real interesting real fast (not that they aren't already).

Ms. Hicks is described as being symptomatic. But it takes at least a few days after infection for symptoms to develop, and supposedly everyone in the president's circle is being tested daily. Not sure what to make of that.

ETA: Pence tested negative. Now let's move the guy to a bunker somewhere for a few weeks.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The chair of the RNC also came up positive. After learning of Hicks's diagnosis and his own exposure, Trump went to a fundraising event in New Jersey.

The virus begins to shed about three days before symptoms appear. Peak contagiousness for COVID-19 is a day before symptoms appear. Our building manager got sick back in August and I missed getting thrown into quarantine by 24 hours, based on when her symptoms developed.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So here is the news:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/politics ... index.html

But this very much sums up my feelings on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cony-drugs

Trump, with the best medical care including expensive and pre-released experimental drugs, "beat" COVID 19 (there's a commemorative coin!) So fuck everyone else. Fuck the staff, fuck the drivers, fuck the 210,000 people who have died from it, and fuck everyone else trying to stay alive.

:rage: :bang: :burned:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump has had the benefit of the most recent medical advances but they are far from proven safe/effective. That he is taking dexamethazone is not a good sign and, as has been noted elsewhere, can cause delusional euphoria and a sense of well-being which is likely what we've been seeing over the last day or two.

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but with Trump's flirtation with/reluctance to denounce the far-right/Neo-nazism, this might be the spot for this. The data scientist exposing US white supremacists: 'This is how you fight Nazis'.
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 921409002/
LANSING — The federal government has charged six people with conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, according to newly unsealed court records.

Members of a militia group purchased weapons, conducted surveillance, and held training and planning meetings, but were foiled in part because the FBI was able to infiltrate the group with informants, according to a criminal complaint.

The FBI became aware early in 2020, through social media, that a militia group was "discussing the violent overthrow of certain government and law enforcement components," and "agreed to take violent action," according to a sworn affidavit.

Members of the group talked about "murdering ... tyrants" or "taking" a sitting governor, according to the affidavit. One of the relevant meetings the FBI monitored was held June 20 in Grand Rapids. the affidavit alleges. Another meeting was held at a home in Luther, Mich., and in Munith.

Discussions included using 200 men to "storm" the Capitol Building in Lansing, kidnap hostages, including, Whitmer and try the governor for treason, according to the affidavit.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:nono: That's just awful. There's a lot of nutters out there. I'm glad the FBI caught them. Nut cases and incidences such as this and the ones in Portland are eroding confidence in our Federal Law Enforcement and creating a lot of mistrust.

A friend of a friend posted on FB today:
At about 11:20pm last night, I noticed 5 beat up vehicles surrounding my house, idling, some with lights on. I calmly went outside to see who was loitering in front of my property on the western side of Milwaukee. The window rolls down and a man in full military gear says they are police but has no identification on their uniform. I ask them how I know they are police officers in unmarked cars and ask for identification. The person, who I now believe to be a FED or part a civilian militia, exits the vehicle onto my property, holding his AR in front of his body, he moved forward (again on my front lawn), so I stepped backwards, and he said, "I suggest you go back inside your vehicle (I was outside my HOME) or I am going to arrest you for obstruction." I asked him for further proof of who he said he was, as he was in a completely unmarked car and unmarked uniform.
They were using my property as staging grounds to observe nearby peaceful protests that were few blocks away, which I am concerned is a violation of the THIRD AMENDMENT right. I asked him if he was really going to arrest me on my own property for asking who was outside my house. My wife came outside at this time and he then returned to his POS unmarked car, called me "fucking dumb" and all 5 vehicles left.
WE KNOW THEY ARE DOING THIS. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN. They were ready to arrest me in my pajamas with assault rifles on my front lawn for asking who they are. THEY ARE IN UNMARKED VEHICLES. Police is unable to confirm it was them or their “tactical unit”(....)
I'm guessing this was an (illegal) civilian 'militia' and not the Feds.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The Republican Speaker of the House has already done what Trump will not.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good for him (Lee Chatfield) and a big ol' shame on Donald Trump.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Several people called out the wording of the report for calling the conspirators a militia instead of a gang or a terrorist group.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Several people called out the wording of the report for calling the conspirators a militia instead of a gang or a terrorist group.
Yes, it's those little insidious word choices that legitimizes the actions one group and invalidates the grievances of another.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Looking at a FB group 'Well Regulated Militia' some commented the Michigan 'operation' was intended as a citizen's arrest to protect the people and some (of course) are saying the FBI set it all up/they were government crisis actors, the same thing they claim about the Sandy Hook shootings.

They call themselves 'Well Regulated Militia' but then describe themselves as, Well Regulated Militia is an organization dedicated to educating American citizens about their second amendment rights as they pertain to “unorganized” militias. Can they be regulated and unorganized? I looked up Militias in my state. Seems to be quite a bit out there. Of course they don't say much/specifics on the website. Many references to 'the cabal'.
Lots of them out there. Some claim to be in law enforcement or former military some who say they've been banned from FB (thank goodness). One claimed to have been in the military but went back as a 'volunteer' from 1999-2006 because he didn't like the way things were being done while he was in service. There is a Black Robe Regiment which is a 'militia' tied to religion/religious order (of sorts) or at least how they consider themselves. I didn't want to delve any further into that website.

I'd better stop before someone thinks I'm looking to join a group of wack-o's.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Several people called out the wording of the report for calling the conspirators a militia instead of a gang or a terrorist group.
This is an important point. They should be called out for the domestic terrorists that they are. Also, Trump has been disappointed that he hasn't gotten 'credit' for the FBI raid. Considering that some of those arrested were of the same group Trump encouraged to 'Liberate Michigan' a few months ago I don't think he deserves credit but, hey, if that's what he wants- lay it on. Assert that 'Law & Order' Trump will not tolerate lawless domestic terrorists and vigilantes and that they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That should be fun.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This article about Fiona Hill sheds light on why people support Trump. It's a very interesting read: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -interview
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Can anyone explain why Pelosi is negotiating with Mnuchin for a stimulus deal? I am so confused by this - is it just because the Senate refuses to take part or... what? What is going on?? I mean, the Senate would still have to take up any plan in the end, but isn't Mnuchin just supposed to do what Congress passes, or does he actually have some say in any of this?
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think the original theory was that Trump would need to sign off on any deal, but at this point McConnell is not going to agree to what Trump is going to agree to so it doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."