Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Trump's America

Post by Primula Baggins »

Cerin wrote:While I would certainly not advocate for despair, I caution against optimism regarding election results. It will be a blow if you get your hopes up and results are bad.
On the other hand, living without hope for long periods of time is also bad. I know that for a fact.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

"Don't get your hopes up because you might be disappointed" could be the official motto of the Midwestern Protestant circles I spring from. But I've learned to reject it, as I've learned to reject many of their other values. What I say to myself is: just learn to cope with disappointment instead, and quit living like a coward.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I was not speaking about hope in general, but about expectations of election results based on polls that have proven in the recent past to be unreliable. It certainly has nothing to do with cowardice or courage. Personally, I don't believe hoping will influence any votes today. Perhaps others believe differently.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hoping obviously can’t influence votes, and I don’t think anyone has said that. Allowing oneself to hope can influence one’s level of happiness and even physical health. I have lived in fear of several sorts, sometimes for years, and it did me no good to be “prepared” for bad news that often never arrived. It just darkened my life and strained my relationships. Not worth it at all, for me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thanks for clarifying, Prim. Again, let me point out that I was speaking specifically and exclusively about hoping for particular election results based on polls that have proven unreliable in the recent past.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Vote suppression reports are coming in from GOP controlled states. Machines not working, keys "lost", polling places closed, in precincts with primarily African-American voters.

I donated to https://polls.pizza/. Maybe it will help some people stay in line and cast their vote. But many voters don't have the ability to take hours off work or away from children.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I wish other states would seriously consider Oregon's system. None of these problems apply here. Our turnout is consistently among the highest.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Vote suppression reports are coming in from GOP controlled states. Machines not working, keys "lost", polling places closed, in precincts with primarily African-American voters.
This sickens me. There is no excuse. Seriously deplorable. There should be severe penalties. I cannot even begin to express my rage. This is far, far below the standards of our nation.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

(Apologies, I deleted my comments due to their heated tone.)
Last edited by Cerin on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Actually, the reports that I am seeing (primarily at 538) are that voting problems, while still happening, are far less than expected
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Actually, the reports that I am seeing (primarily at 538) are that voting problems, while still happening, are far less than expected
Expected by whom, though, and based on what? I feel that we need to set the baseline for that scale.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Isn't it way, way, way too early to try to analyze voting problems?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If people can't cast their vote, it may be too late. Especially if most of these people are expected to vote for one party.

Voronwë the Faithful

Isn't it way, way, way too early to try to analyze voting problems?
Yes and no. Major problems would probably be evident by now. But the full extent of what issues there are won't be known until after the election is done and past.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Primula Baggins wrote:I wish other states would seriously consider Oregon's system. None of these problems apply here. Our turnout is consistently among the highest.
But that would defeat the purpose? (That being, to ensure as few non-Republican districts get to vote as possible.)

The great irony for me being that America is involved in supervising elections elsewhere to ensure they are free and fair. ("Pot, meet kettle.")

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

First exit polls in 5 mins. Husband glued to CNN. I have a gut ache. Cannot watch.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:First exit polls in 5 mins. Husband glued to CNN. I have a gut ache. Cannot watch.

Makes two of us. We'll be stuck with the results whether we watch them live or not. I'd rather have one last evening of hope.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Impenitent wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:I wish other states would seriously consider Oregon's system. None of these problems apply here. Our turnout is consistently among the highest.
But that would defeat the purpose? (That being, to ensure as few non-Republican districts get to vote as possible.)

The great irony for me being that America is involved in supervising elections elsewhere to ensure they are free and fair. ("Pot, meet kettle.")

I think the desire of the vast majority of the people of the United States, of any political affiliation, is that elections in the United States are free and fair.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I have no doubt of that. The problem lies with the people at the top, who wield power. Those people tend to be more competitive, more ruthless, possibly a little more one-eyed in a sociopathic way, than the majority.

Not to say that good people don't get to the top; just that those willing to sacrifice self and family, compromise values to get things done, or able to overcome the disgust of that scramble are not numerous. I refer not only to the USA.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Foreign (Russian or otherwise) interference is not something to be brushed off. Propaganda, both foreign and domestic, is a serious issue. Confidence in free and fair voting is the hallmark of the democratic process.

Some election/voting issues have been addressed but then new ones pop up (the residential address vs PO box, for example). Our judicial system and the ACLU has tackled some of these problems; disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, purging of voter registration. I am not sure if the 'matching signature' thing applies where I vote, but I had to sign with a soft bubble-ended stylus on an electronic pad which looked nothing like my signature.

I don't think I can watch the results. Maybe I'll... I dunno.. do something constructive!
My heart is forever in the Shire.