Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Trump's America

Post by Impenitent »

elengil wrote:Well obviously we still want to help the Saudis because of all the assistance they gave George Washington at the battle of Valley Forge International Airport.

:nono:
ROFL! You should write for The Onion.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote:
elengil wrote:Well obviously we still want to help the Saudis because of all the assistance they gave George Washington at the battle of Valley Forge International Airport.

:nono:
ROFL! You should write for The Onion.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Nah, I'd cry. Every day must just be this for them:
main-qimg-35a97a2bde3cf3a7e7433564f307a7b1.jpg
main-qimg-35a97a2bde3cf3a7e7433564f307a7b1.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

His 'rally' was disgusting and obscene.

So.. having AG Barr meet with Murdock..2 days later Shep Smith has quit. They say no correlation. I guess they really think we're stupid. Or they think their viewers are stupid.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:His 'rally' was disgusting and obscene.

So.. having AG Barr meet with Murdock..2 days later Shep Smith has quit. They say no correlation. I guess they really think we're stupid. Or they think their viewers are stupid.
Wait what!? Shep is gone!? :bawl: He was like the one last sane person in the asylum!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump wasn't happy with the latest Fox news poll. The day it came out (or maybe it was the next day) he had AG Barr meet with Rupert Murdoch. Can't have state sponsored TV with bad polls.

It sure is in keeping with your cartoon, elengil. New day 3 gazillion things happening all at once. Chaos. Trump says he loves chaos. Just like Littlefinger (Game of Thrones reference).
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yesterday was a very bad day for Mr. Trump in the courts. In addition to the decision in the D.C. Circuit rejecting his appeal of the lower court's order that Mazur's would have to hand over his financial records (including tax returns) to the House Oversight Committee, a District Court in Texas ruled that his use of emergency funds to build his wall was illegal, and blocked it. And not one, not two, but three different District Courts across the country all ruled that his changes to green card regulations to keep out people who would be a "public charge" were unlawful.

In addition, his acting Homeland Security Secretary resigned. Plus, of course, there was damning testimony of the former ambassador to Ukraine and the news that his personal lawyer/fixer was under investigation for his actions on Mr. Trump's behalf in Ukraine.

Not a good day for Mr. Trump.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I'm sure you'll forgive some of us for rubbing our hands together in glee! :toast:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WaPo
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/stat ... 78020?s=19
Turkish-led forces film themselves executing a Kurdish captive in Syria https://t.co/zuwZmcEXhg
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/stat ... 69504?s=19
U.S. troops evacuate another Syrian town as Turkish-led forces advance, potentially marooning other U.S. soldiers https://t.co/imSm4KUmsk
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

There's no coming back from this. Even if Trump gets impeached and the next president is a Democrat, there's no coming back.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

This is what happens when you put a malignant narcissist in charge.

Now watch him shift the blame around.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

George Conway (husband to Kelly Ann Conway) wrote an interesting piece in The Atlantic: Unfit for Office

I agree River, malignant narcissists will take the whole world down with them if it is within their power. They are insatiable and cannot see beyond themselves and their greed/desires/needs/wants.

Dave, I have to believe there is hope.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The whole Kelly Ann and George Conway thing is so unbelievably weird!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I guess one of them has a moral compass that isn't pointed only to dollar signs. Or Kellyanne's just in so deep she knows she can't resurface.

Rose, my run-in with a narcissist was in grad school. She wasn't malignant, but she wrecked havoc all the same. That inability to admit mistakes, the rejection of accountability...it left a mark after she was gone. It didn't help that she got our PI wrapped around her finger. Her post-doc when down in a flaming ruin because her new boss had more backbone and didn't let her get away with her crap.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Dave_LF wrote:There's no coming back from this. Even if Trump gets impeached and the next president is a Democrat, there's no coming back.
Was that in reference to Syria, or to everything in general?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Does anyone remember when the last White House press briefing was?

Oh, 7 months ago? I'm sure everything's fine then...

On the other hand, the press briefing website... which let us still access the mad ramblings of the President, because twitter just doesn't have the character limit required.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The whole Kelly Ann and George Conway thing is so unbelievably weird!
Yes, one has to guess that they just do not discuss/agree to disagree.. or something. That would be a bridge too far for me, on principle and moral grounds. Maybe they live in separate wings? James Carvill and Mary Matilin came before them and seem to make it work. Opposites attract? (I dunno, that's never been a turn on for me). They have said they do not discuss politics at home.
River wrote:Rose, my run-in with a narcissist was in grad school. She wasn't malignant, but she wrecked havoc all the same. That inability to admit mistakes, the rejection of accountability...it left a mark after she was gone. It didn't help that she got our PI wrapped around her finger. Her post-doc when down in a flaming ruin because her new boss had more backbone and didn't let her get away with her crap.
My run-in involved a woman who ran rough-shod over our parish and left devastation in her wake. She then moved on to create havoc somewhere else.

Incidentally, I read an article the other day discussing how therapists are seeing an increasing number of children of narcissists (who are now adults) for symptoms of PTSD because Trump is re-triggering their trauma due to the chaos, constant lying, and his unhinged behavior.
elengil wrote:Does anyone remember when the last White House press briefing was?
This is simply incredible, isn't it? The purpose of the press briefing is so that the White House/our government is answerable to we, the people. The White House is supposed to be a servant of the people. We, the taxpayer, should be informed of what is being done with our money. This is (part of) the problem with having a 'businessman' in the White House.. he doesn't think he is accountable to anyone except himself. He would have been ousted from any reputable company a loooong time ago. Mad ramblings, indeed. Insanity. They say he loves to watch videos from his rallies and he replays his (self described) moments of brilliance and genius. You know, since he doesn't have weightier things to do, other than golf and listen to the mad ramblings of Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories from Rudy Giuliani.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes/status/ ... 43426?s=19
BREAKING: Medical humanitarian charity Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) says it has made the "difficult decision to suspend most of our activities" in northern Syria "and evacuate all our international staff" due to the volatile situation in the region.
You know things the situation is truly horrific when the MSF pulls out.

It's on us. It's on all or us. So don't talk to me about the fragile feelings of Trump supporters.
IMG_20190805_111806.jpg
IMG_20190805_111806.jpg (36.13 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry:

The day Trump decided to unexpectedly pull out of Syria was Putin's birthday. I find that a very odd coincidence, given the circumstances.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote::cry:

The day Trump decided to unexpectedly pull out of Syria was Putin's birthday. I find that a very odd coincidence, given the circumstances.
I find it not a coincidence given the context.

Oddly, I didn't even know that and I mentioned to my sweetie that Putin must really be enjoying his 3-year long birthday present...
was a 2020 planner.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

And now this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... utType=amp

So it would seem that Trump abandoned a US military base to be taken by Russia, on Vladimir Putin's birthday. This is a true thing that actually happened in the real world in which we live. There's no point even saying it anymore, but just imagine if it had been Obama.