Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:. Crazy, but not the right kind of crazy for the 25th amendment?
God, if only!! Poetic justice, that - ousted by his 'very best people'. I'm sure they'll figure out how to claim it's some kind of "Democrat Plot", even if done by his own cabinet appointees...

But they won't because they're still coddling the toddler.

"Nuke the hurricane!"
"We'll look into it."

:? No, the correct answer to that is, "Sir, that is bat*@% crazy. No!"
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sorry, but I can't resist posting this.

Trump Holds Up Map Suggesting Hurricane May Hit Coast Of Middle-Earth

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No apologies necessary! That's hilarious!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Akshully, it was Ents that destroyed Isengard. ;)
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Saw this today - too real.

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Isn't that just the truth? You can't make this stuff up (as weird as it actually is).
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:Did y'all see the faked map? There are several levels of crazy here, but what really gets me, what really feels like someone disconnected from reality, is presenting that big, obviously faked drawing on the map, and telling people that it's real as if he expects that... what, no one will see that it is fake? That no one will see the obvious thing right in front of their face? Or, maybe worse, that he doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's fake? It's utterly baffling.
I was not aware of the incident, but I noticed this article tonight, which states that early information given to the Pres. and the public included Alabama in the possible path of the hurricane. So perhaps the altered map was meant to reflect that earlier information. I see no reason to assume Trump presented an obviously altered map expecting that people wouldn't notice, nor any reason to jump to the conclusion that this represents insanity or a loss of connection to reality. I think the media has such a knee-jerk overreaction to everything Trump says and does, perhaps in their eagerness to discredit and ridicule him, that they sometimes end up looking like the ones with the mental problem.

Meanwhile, I think the Pres.'s people have the right idea in dealing with this sort of brouhaha. They are marketing a special permanent marker, different from all other markers in that it has the unique ability to drive the press crazy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAGV5xI
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I guarantee that a vast majority of his "base" would point to that as "proof" that the "fake news media" is the enemy.
If this were a bet, you would have won.

But wait, there's more.

Trump called Fox News correspondent into Oval Office to argue he wasn't wrong about Alabama

So much for the free press. When the President of a democratic country is dictating media coverage and is insisting that he is never represented as being wrong about anything, democracy is in deep trouble.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The president used a sharpie to draw his own lines on a weather map about a serious weather event. That is against the law.
18 U.S. Code § 2074. False weather reports

U.S. Code

Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 795; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(G), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)
It's not funny. It's not a joke. It's not 'cute'. It's childish and petty. It's not something to profit from. An adult would have said they misspoke.  This behavior is not 'the right idea' for a leader of a nation. His petty fixations on items of trivial importance are bizarre. The dozens and dozens of texts he sent out on this subject are not something a well person does.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:
yovargas wrote:Did y'all see the faked map? There are several levels of crazy here, but what really gets me, what really feels like someone disconnected from reality, is presenting that big, obviously faked drawing on the map, and telling people that it's real as if he expects that... what, no one will see that it is fake? That no one will see the obvious thing right in front of their face? Or, maybe worse, that he doesn't know the difference between what's real and what's fake? It's utterly baffling.
I was not aware of the incident, but I noticed this article tonight, which states that early information given to the Pres. and the public included Alabama in the possible path of the hurricane. So perhaps the altered map was meant to reflect that earlier information. I see no reason to assume Trump presented an obviously altered map expecting that people wouldn't notice, nor any reason to jump to the conclusion that this represents insanity or a loss of connection to reality. I think the media has such a knee-jerk overreaction to everything Trump says and does, perhaps in their eagerness to discredit and ridicule him, that they sometimes end up looking like the ones with the mental problem.

Meanwhile, I think the Pres.'s people have the right idea in dealing with this sort of brouhaha. They are marketing a special permanent marker, different from all other markers in that it has the unique ability to drive the press crazy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAGV5xI
If you read the full extent of this incident from the beginning and each thing Trump has done, including watch him present and discuss the faked map, and don't think that his actions are extremely bizarre and irrational, then I have to conclude that it is you who have become blind.

FYI, note that the new statement saying that "Trump was correct" is attributed to nobody. There is nobody in that organization willing to put their name on that statement because they recognize that it is utterly absurd.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I don't intend to take the time to try and follow the incident from the beginning in retrospect, so probably should have refrained from commenting. If there was information presented to the Pres. in the early days of the storm indicating that Alabama was potentially in Dorian's path (this is the claim presented in the article -- that the Pres. and public received information about Alabama early on -- and obviously, this would be a matter of public record, so the claim could be verified), then there is at least a foundation in reality for what followed. That's all I'm saying.

Trump most likely isn't going to start behaving like a President; he is probably going to keep behaving like Donald Trump. If the press could get over that, maybe they could focus on more substantive issues.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's a fine view point, but don't act like we're being ridiculous for calling out extremely bizarre and irrational behavior. His behavior is beyond abnormal and deserves to be labeled as such.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It needs to be called out. Loud and harshly. All of it. It ain't right, it ain't normal, and it corrupts everything around him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The President unable to behave like a President is a pretty big issue, don't you think? Especially since the GOP just announced that they won't hold primaries and will push for another four years for Trump.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Why should anyone, let alone the press, simply ignore when a president does not act like a president? Why is that something to just accept? Why is pointing out the reality of this being unreasonable?

Seems far, far more unreasonable *to* ignore it, accept it, and not point it out.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Only a few states are not having primaries, and the same thing happened with Reagan and Bush 2 on the GOP side and Clinton and Obama on the Democratic side. The difference is that those presidents didn't have announced challengers.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Frelga wrote:The President unable to behave like a President is a pretty big issue, don't you think?
I honestly am not sure how big of an issue it is. If Trump is not going to be impeached for not behaving like a President, then what it amounts to is a colossal distraction from substantive issues. And since our media isn't real news, but infotainment that is a part of the ratings-based for-profit entertainment media, that's another incentive for them to keep covering the President's personality issues over more boring things like war and the economy and the environment, which won't get the ratings the Trump side show gets.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Without effective leadership the more substantive issues can't be addressed.

Voronwë, it's a handy reminder that political parties are private organizations with discretion over their nomination processes. In 2016 the Colorado GOP opted to skip the caucus and go straight to convention. I only noticed because the news was so full of what a circus the Dem caucus was and the GOP primary season that year was even more hotly contested so I got to wondering why there weren't any tales of the GOP caucuses overflowing and it turned out there weren't any. The convention went to Cruz so I think maybe the strategy was to keep Trump from winning Colorado delegates.

Since 2016, we've switched to having primaries for all elections. Independents receive ballots for all parties with candidates and pick one. This could have some interesting implications for the Colorado GOP delegates if Trump's challengers are allowed to proceed in our state. Colorado independents would prefer a boiled turnip over Trump. After all, you can butter up and eat a boiled turnip.
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently, in at least one state the GOP party broke its own rules in cancelling its primary.

South Carolina GOP appears to violate own rules in canceling primary for Trump

Voronwë the Faithful

Followed quickly by the news that former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford is going forward with his primary challenge. It seems likely that he would sue to try to overturn the South Carolina GOP decision to cancel their primary.