Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump's America

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:
In the middle of the furor over Trump and soldiers is John Kelly, who so far has remained silent. Kelly has told associates that a retired 4-star general should not come out against a sitting president in the heat of a campaign.
That is not the principled stand one associates with military honor, but it is also very loudly not a "no, he never said that to me."

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/statu ... 27969?s=19

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/us/p ... trump.html
I read an article which stated that the silence from those who were military officers at the highest levels in this administration is very telling. If it were not true, they would say so.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I think this article from Business Insider sums it up very well. Trump just cannot fathom doing anything that's not going to benefit him personally.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-q ... sit-2020-9

Christians - true Christians, that follow the teaching of Jesus- are, of course very altruistic. In his book,
"Think Big", he calls Christians "fools" and "idiots" and "schmucks".
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

While it is obviously not a universal belief among military members, here is one speaking out very decidedly against the idea that Trump supports or respects the military, and why.

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are currently no reports of injuries so I don't feel to guilty for giggling at the real life metaphor. I do sincerely hope that no one is seriously hurt.
Screenshot_20200905-134449.jpg
Screenshot_20200905-134449.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/multip ... ake-travis
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sorry, but I do not take any joy at all in something like that, even if no one was seriously hurt.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Whats the metaphor?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:While it is obviously not a universal belief among military members, here is one speaking out very decidedly against the idea that Trump supports or respects the military, and why.
That's a really good clip, elengil.
Inanna wrote:Whats the metaphor?
Trump is a sinking ship (I presume).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trump's campaign was very proud of the pro-Trump boaters, as if it's the most important demographic.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga, I saw some other photos of that parade. If the photos are accurate/from THAT parade, it appeared that there were some awfully big waves for a lake. I'm wondering/guessing that some larger boats may have created such a huge wake that it caused problems for smaller boats.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

This is... astounding. Trump returned from Paris in 2018 with art from US envoy's residence. So, while he didn't spend time going to the Aisne-Marne American cemetery with other dignitaries.. he stayed behind to 'shop' the art at the ambassador's residence.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's all US government property being shuffled around so legally it's fine but it created a procedural/bureaucratic mess and at a human level, it's kind of weird to run off with your host's decor, even if it's all government property and the host is your subordinate. Makes me wonder what Trump's like as a houseguest. Anyway, an extra layer of weirdness on the whole episode is the art wasn't even all that valuable. They were replicas. The portrait of Ben Franklin that Trump took home was a copy of a painting hanging in the National Gallery. In the aftermath of the "shopping" trip the original was brought to the Oval Office, swapped with another portrait of Franklin already hanging there.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's odd behavior. Petty and small. To know that is what Trump was doing rather than attending the ceremony at the cemetery for fallen soldiers just adds to the weirdness. At the time he took the items, he didn't know the value of the pieces before removing them (obviously he considered them to be of great value) nor did he know the legal protocol, which sent state lawyers scrambling due to it's odd nature. The WH spokesperson stating, "The president brought these beautiful, historical pieces, which belong to the American people, back to the United States to be prominently displayed in the People's House." is beyond weird as well. It is not behavior we would expect from a president. Makes me wonder if he took items from Buckingham palace.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

You're not the only one who thought of that! :rofl:
Attachments
Her Majesty after Trump's Visit.jpg
Her Majesty after Trump's Visit.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Frelga, I saw some other photos of that parade. If the photos are accurate/from THAT parade, it appeared that there were some awfully big waves for a lake. I'm wondering/guessing that some larger boats may have created such a huge wake that it caused problems for smaller boats.
And yes, I've seen photos that make it clear the waves on the lake caused the swamping. The waves were natural, not boat wakes. I'd show you a photo, but FB meme-makers are having a field day with the situation, and they are not being kind.

ALL boats matter, folks! :rofl:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

So what we're saying is... Trump is a Sackville-Baggins? :rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

We are not saying that. Lobelia attacked the ruffians with a an umbrella and even Otto ended up locked up because he wouldn't go far enough in collaborating with a hostile foreign power.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Ouch. Good point, Frelga!
Voronwë the Faithful

At the heart of @realDonaldTrump statement is a lack of respect for those who have served - a disqualifying characteristic to be president
- Sen. Lindsey Graham, July 15, 2015

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë wrote:
At the heart of @realDonaldTrump statement is a lack of respect for those who have served - a disqualifying characteristic to be president

- Sen. Lindsey Graham, July 15, 2015
Yeah, well Lindsey Graham has shown he can change colors with the best of chameleons.

I am continually saddened but not surprised, given all that should be consuming a president's time and attention, about things like this that are so petty. Instead of honoring the dead he's checking out what's in it for him personally. It's not only greedy and selfish but manipulative and intimidating, not to mention disrespectful on more than one level.

Normally, a president would unveil the former presidents portrait in the main hall but Trump refused to do so and he had the Bush & Clinton portraits moved to an old dining room that is generally used for storage. This, is in the midst of a pandemic and economic crisis.

There is also the hypocrisy of Trump's criticism of Obama golfing. In 2014 when the US had 2 cases of Ebola Trump said, “There are times to play and times that you can’t play. It sends the wrong signal. You know when you’re president you sorta say, like, ‘I’m gonna give it up for a couple of years and I’m really gonna focus on the job."

Yet by 3 years into the office Trump had already spent more than 2 1/2 times more days on the golf course than Obama had in his first 3 years, not to mention the outrageous cost, a great deal of which is lining his own pockets. The more he golfs, the more he rakes in from the taxpayers.

In any case, buckle up because Atlantic editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg says there is more to come.
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:
Trump's campaign was very proud of the pro-Trump boaters, as if it's the most important demographic.
Or it is this.

The wake of other boats in a pro-Trump parade in Texas caused 5 boats to sink, sheriff's office says

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk