Escaping the Echo Chamber

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post by yovargas »

Everyone knows that real music didn't start until the 60s. Duh.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's enough out of you, whippersnapper.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

*hands Prim the ceremonial salmon*
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This hurts me more than it hurts you, dear yov.

:salmon:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Of course, he meant the 1760s, when Mozart first started composing. So there! :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Of course, he meant the 1760s, when Mozart first started composing. So there! :P
Reminds me of: Where are you now, Pachelbel? HuH? MTv's "I love the 1790's", where is it?! :rotfl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lol, yes, I saw that!

V, but what about Vivaldi?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Vivaldi died in 1741, Bach in 1750, Scarlatti in 1751, and Händel in 1759. None of them made it to the Swingin' Sixties.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If a bookstore chose not to sellHuckleberry Finn that would certainly be their choice, but in making that choice they would surely take into consideration the fact that it is a book of major cultural and artistic importance. Radio stations deciding whether or not to play the song in question could also take into account the level of cultural and artistic importance of the song. Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion the two aren't even worth comparing as to their levels of cultural or artistic importance.
Agreed, but it’s the thin end of the wedge isn’t it. Without intending to be crass, I could say, “First they came for the Christmas songs and I didn’t speak out, because I didn’t think they were culturally important enough...”
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did you actually just compare this situation to the Holocaust?

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No. No, I didn't.

I'm really surprised I have to explain this, but its a sort of reverse "reductio ad absurdum" by showing that in small things, as in large, the same basic principles apply. If you accept one thing it leads to another. But hey, whip out your strawman to have a go Frelga, it seems you only reply to me nowadays to vaguely or directly accuse me of being a terrible human being. Not really sure why, but if you're going to continue, please take it to Nan Elmoth and stop hounding me every time I engage in a discussion.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Are you not aware of the origin of your quote?

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

See above.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And now they want Fairytale of New York off the playlist too.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

These aren’t laws being passed. These are cultural trends. The songs are not being destroyed. They still exist and will still be accessible to anyone who wants to hear them.

The only thing that’s changing is that it’s going to be less likely (for a while) that they’ll be played in public or on services where someone might encounter them unexpectedly.

I don’t see this as a sign of the Apocalypse. YMMV.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nobody claimed it was. I just think its an interesting discussion. Or thought it was...
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:Agreed, but it’s the thin end of the wedge isn’t it. Without intending to be crass, I could say, “First they came for the Christmas songs and I didn’t speak out, because I didn’t think they were culturally important enough...”
They didn't "come for the Christmas songs". They "came" for the songs where a man was repeatedly told NO by a woman but he repeatedly ignored her, continued to pressure her, and possibly used alcohol to weaken her resolve. You know, the songs that sound pretty date rapey.
Last edited by yovargas on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It is an interesting discussion.

In the context of the current political climate in the United States, where the thin ends of a lot of much larger wedges are being shoved into place every day, threatening things like voting rights, citizenship, human rights, freedom to assemble, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press, it’s hard for Americans in particular to summon up outrage over an issue like this one.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote:
Alatar wrote:Agreed, but it’s the thin end of the wedge isn’t it. Without intending to be crass, I could say, “First they came for the Christmas songs and I didn’t speak out, because I didn’t think they were culturally important enough...”
They didn't "come for the Christmas songs". They "came" for the songs where a man was repeatedly told NO by a woman but he repeatedly ignored her, continued to pressure her, and possibly used alcohol to weaken her resolve. You know, the songs that sound pretty date rapey.
Yes, a song that's clearly not about date rape, but "woke" people have decided it is. And now they're looking at Fairytale of New York because it contains the word "faggot". Do you, as a gay man, find that song offensive? And if so, would it still be offensive if the word faggot had no homophobic connotations in Ireland, but it did in the USA?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You can choose to ignore the actual lyrics of the song if you choose but the song says what it says.

I am not personally familiar with that Fairytale song so I can't really comment but considering that most Americans don't know that the word "faggot" means something different across the pond, and that I assume they don't explain that every time they play the song here, I'm okay with people not getting randomly hit with hideous sounding slurs while listening to the radio.
-The Decemberists