Cultural Appropriation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No elengil, I would not think you are a jerk/were trying to be a jerk. My comment was general.. it is a complicated subject.

For what it's worth, it's not strictly the Sakura (cherry blossom) that is associated with Judo, it's the Kodokan emblem and it is often confused with Sakura since it's such an iconic symbol of Japanese culture. Maybe that's why your husband thought your flower was 'too flowery' Maria?

I was recently in New Zealand. It was interesting to note the differences and similarities in culture, yov. :)
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:No elengil, I would not think you are a jerk/were trying to be a jerk. My comment was general.. it is a complicated subject.
Nono, I know, I was more agreeing and giving yet another example of the complications. Am I appropriating? I really don't know. Is it better that I am simply hoping to gain the tangible benefits of the activities and not coupling them with the traditional spiritual side, or does that make it worse, divorcing it from context? I really don't know.

I realize meditation does not belong to any one culture or belief system - many cultures and religions practiced forms of meditation, but at least in modern day, some of that diversity is lost and meditation becomes a "Buddhist thing" even though it never was exclusively, but in rejecting that association, does that make it better or worse to say it doesn't have to be a Buddhist thing?

Voronwë, let me know when you do start that discussion.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I will!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote: Nono, I know, I was more agreeing and giving yet another example of the complications. Am I appropriating? I really don't know. Is it better that I am simply hoping to gain the tangible benefits of the activities and not coupling them with the traditional spiritual side, or does that make it worse, divorcing it from context? I really don't know.

I realize meditation does not belong to any one culture or belief system - many cultures and religions practiced forms of meditation, but at least in modern day, some of that diversity is lost and meditation becomes a "Buddhist thing" even though it never was exclusively, but in rejecting that association, does that make it better or worse to say it doesn't have to be a Buddhist thing?
This was my thinking exactly. I was going to respond to Maria's comment about Sakura/cherry blossoms and I found myself having the 2 sided Gollum conversation. On the one hand, Japan does not have exclusive rights to cherry blossoms, they are grown and admired throughout much of the world, but on the other hand, they have become an iconic symbol of Japanese culture especially when coupled with Judo/martial arts or other specific Japanese cultural pursuits. And then I got too confused to comment. :P
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

some of that diversity is lost and meditation becomes a "Buddhist thing" even though it never was exclusively, but in rejecting that association, does that make it better or worse to say it doesn't have to be a Buddhist thing?

Honestly, I can't imagine why it would matter either way.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Can you imagine a workout based on the Catholic Mass, done to uplifting music, where you stand, sit, kneel, and perform energetic arm motion in the shape of the cross?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe our local Y has a yoga class something like that.

I wouldn't mind if it were a general spiritual type meditation (as most of the classes are), but I would prefer no specific religious focus.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I find it interesting that I've always associated yoga and meditation with Hindu practices...because all my teachers have cime from the Iyengar (Indian) tradition.

And while BKS Iyengar - whom I still consider my guru, or primary teacher/inspirer - was a practising Hindu, I have never felt any pressure or urge to adopt the Hindu faith. I've adopted some concepts which resonate for me, such as ahimsa, but there was never any hint that Iyengar wanted his students to adopt his faith; his stern expectation was all about thoroughly understanding and adhering to the strict tenets of his yogic practise.

All of my teachers regularly returned to Pune every second year for a 6-week intensive with Iyengar to recertify. Iyengar actively sought to teach his methods to all who wanted to learn them, westerner, easterner, whatever.

I understand the healthy desire to respect culture, but we can get so anxious about borrowing, misusing, appropriating that we carefully stay on our own safe path and tread ourselves a deep, hard-packed rut that we can be sure of. It's safe, but things don't grow in a rut.

Typed on a tiny phone keyboard on Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well said, Impy.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote: I understand the healthy desire to respect culture, but we can get so anxious about borrowing, misusing, appropriating that we carefully stay on our own safe path and tread ourselves a deep, hard-packed rut that we can be sure of. It's safe, but things don't grow in a rut.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Voronwë the Faithful

The latest bizarre twist in the bizarre Jussie Smollet saga is that the Osundairo brothers (who allegedly staged the hoax attack with Smollet) have sued Smollet's attorneys for claiming that they actually did attack him.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/ ... spartanntp
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm going to wait for the Coen Brothers' version.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That case is just weird piled on top of strange, sprinkled with bizarre, with a huh-wha? on top.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

An interesting article from David Frum/The Atlantic on cultural appropriation. Every Culture Appropriates
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

emerged autochthonously in a timeless ancestral homeland
. :love: :love:

I need to bring this up in my next conversation!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
elengil

Post by elengil »

For my fellow Americans and our upcoming Thanksgiving celebrations:

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

ROTFL!

She also did this classic: Contouring 101 (LANGUAGE WARNING!)
elengil

Post by elengil »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"I regret buying both."

"Men love pterodactyls! *screeeee-*"
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've watched her before. She's hilarious.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

She has one on bedroom eyes that about knocked me out of my chair. Not just because of the running monologue but because, when she's about halfway through doing her thing, some guy wrapped in a towel comes in and starts twerking in the background.