Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:Trump refers to the fact that this has fallen to him because his predecessors didn't deal with it.
His predecessors didn't 'deal' with it because he's the one who created it. There was nothing to deal with previously. This trade war is entirely predicated on Trump having no godly idea how trade deficits work!

Like trying to blame the overcrowding in detention centers because his predecessors didn't deal with it - because he caused the overcrowding with his own policies.

That's like talking about how your predecessors didn't clean up the dog crap in the yard, when it is your dog crapping in the yard!

You can't blame problems of your own making on those who came before you.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

But...but they forced you to create those problems! Honestly el, you sound like you've never spent time with a narcissist. ;)

In all seriousness, I did work with someone once who may very well have had NPD. My general rule with her became if it took more than five words for her to explain why her latest foul-up was actually mine or someone else's fault the blame stayed with her. So I'd tell her to buzz off. Sometimes she did and sometimes she took it to our advisor. Sometimes he took her side because it was easier and sometimes he didn't because she was so obviously out of line. She also swiped reagents and equipment off of people's benches. This was somehow okay because the boss wanted it to be. I was pretty annoyed though when she ran off with my clean glassware. On one hand, it wasn't a big deal because I always recleaned it before use (dust is The Enemy in a biochemistry lab) but on the other it was really aggravating that she was both too lazy to clean her own stuff after using it and then so entitled that she could just run off with mine without asking (and it was just a little creepy how she'd been watching me carefully enough to know how I handled my glassware to start with).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

To be fair, Trump is talking to the various problems with how China runs things, including there lax intellectual property laws. He's right to say that those are problems that have been largely ignored in the past, even if his attempted solution doesn't seem likely to accomplish anything good.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That is absolutely false. Previous administrations have not ignored the problems with China, they just didn't take the kind of irresponsible actions to address the issues that Trump has.

For instance, https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-office ... %E2%80%99s

Part of the reason Obama pushed the TPP was to curb China. Trump of course immediately pulled out, strengthening China's position in the region.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That is absolutely false. Previous administrations have not ignored the problems with Cina, they just didn't take the kind of irresponsible actions to address the issues that Trump has.

For instance, https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-office ... %E2%80%99s

Part of the reason Obama pushed the TPP was to curb China. Trump of course immediately pulled out, strengthening China's position in the region.

This is probably my greatest peeve in regards to narcissists in general/Trump in particular, they lie so convincingly (and so prolifically) that most people do not bother to fact check what they say. There is usually a kernel of truth so people take it as the whole truth and the narcissist gets away with their lies.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Satire about Mr. Trump buying Narnia from Middle-earth

Post by yovargas »

Thank you for the correction, V-man. I was, unsurprisingly, unaware out of that agreement. It's not the kind of thing that makes for viral news stories and catchy sound bites, I suppose. I do wonder what the enforcement mechanisms for agreements like that are, but I can go look that up on my own...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm the first one to call out misleading articles and headlines, which that "Guardians of Democracy" (oy!) article certainly is, but the clip of Mr. Trump stating that he is the chosen one and looking up at the sky is pretty disturbing all the same.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... ip-vpx.cnn
Exactly. I was aware the link had some problems with accuracy, but I couldn't find a better one, and decided to just post it anyway, and let people draw their own conclusions from the actual tweets and the video. (I was in something of a hurry, I have to confess...)

Very disturbing, even if the headline didn't get it right.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

elengil wrote:
His predecessors didn't 'deal' with it because <snip>:
I was not addressing the substance of Trumps comments; I was addressing the question of whether he was seriously claiming divine election.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:
elengil wrote:
His predecessors didn't 'deal' with it because <snip>:
I was not addressing the substance of Trumps comments; I was addressing the question of whether he was seriously claiming divine election.
Apologies for the misunderstanding.

In that case I could say he never seems to seriously mean anything he says. Every time he's questioned about something the claim is 'he was joking'. Either he claims it or his spokespeople claim it on his behalf.

At the same time, how often can he 'not mean what he says' before we have to think he really does mean what he says? Not that he believes what he says, but he means it - it's a means to his end.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.apnews.com/e30672dbb3204c22b9b40e9303e9d288

The new will Epstein signed 2 days before his suicide may tie up all his assets in legal limbo unless it can be successfully argued in court for forfeiture based on criminal activity. Otherwise the many millions in assets go (largely) into a trust with unknown beneficiaries.

:rage:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:https://www.apnews.com/e30672dbb3204c22b9b40e9303e9d288

The new will Epstein signed 2 days before his suicide may tie up all his assets in legal limbo unless it can be successfully argued in court for forfeiture based on criminal activity. Otherwise the many millions in assets go (largely) into a trust with unknown beneficiaries.

:rage:
From a legal standpoint I would think this will be an interesting case to follow. Certainly any creditors (including the US government) and any claims/lawsuits will have to be paid before it goes to the beneficiaries of the trust. His only living relative, his brother Mark, could challenge the validity of the will/Epstein's state of mind, given it was written up 2 days before his suicide, making the current will/trust invalid.

Creep in life, creep in death.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

He's tweeting us into a stock market crash. God help us all.
Voronwë the Faithful

I can't figure out which tweet is crazier.

This one: '....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel or Chairman Xi?"

Or this one: 'Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China ... '

He really thinks that he is the dictator of America. This will not end well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It's already not well
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Things never end well with a narcissist.
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the whole subtopic about the satirical article about Mr. Trump buying Narnia from Middle-earth and locked that. I apologize for any offense it -- or any of my comments -- may have caused.

I miss Prim :(
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So do I.

And in other news apparently Trump wanted to stop a hurricane by nuking it. Because dropping atom bombs in the atmosphere with high winds will totally make everything better. Apparently, and here's the kicker, no one in the room with him had the nerve to come out and say that this was a horrible idea.
Last edited by River on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: I miss Prim :([/color]
:hug:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:So do I.

And in other news apparently Trump wanted to stop a hurricane by nuking it. Because dropping atom bombs in the atmosphere with high winds will totally make everything better. Apparently, and here's the kicker, no one in the room with him had the nerve to come out and say that this was a horrible idea.
He is waaaay too interested in using 'nukes'.

Whomever leaked this to reporters evidently didn't have the nerve to speak up directly to Trump either. This is not how a good administration is run. Trump is a tyrant with explosive toddler tantrum syndrome. I can not think of a better comparison than the Emperor's New Clothes. They need to get a kid in there to tell him that he's nuts because all of the 'adults' are too afraid/busy kowtowing.

(I almost typed cow-towing and I thought of Maria and her cow towing.. not what I intended) ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Speaking of hurricanes.

Trump Says Isn’t Sure He’s “Ever Even Heard of a Category 5” Hurricane

There have been 4 Category 5 Hurricane hit or threaten the U.S. since Mr. Trump took office.