Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Donald Trump, Jr., interviewed by a seven-foot tall chocolate bunny.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

AHahahaaaaaa.
Well, isn't that sweet.
Ahahahahaahaaaa
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

White House says Dem's upset win came from embracing Trump policies
Trump campaigned for Republican Rick Saccone, who appears headed for a narrow loss in a district that Trump carried by 20 points.

"The president's engagement in the race turned what was a deficit for the Republican candidate to what is essentially a tie," said White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah.

"Also the Democrat in the race really embraced the president's policies and his vision whereas he didn't really embrace Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader," he said.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

...and up is down, and grass is red, and alternate facts usher in the twilight zone.

It will take more than a generation for the USA to overcome this period, if, that is, it doesn't prove to be a watershed leading to the downfall of empire. I know my views on this are considered politically naive and ignorant, but when I predicted that Trump would win, and that the Arab spring was no such thing but the beginning of chaos, those were considered politically naive and ignorant, too.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I find the Trump administration's post-election comments laughable considering their pre-election ads Ad 1 Ad 2

Funny, Trump's deficit climbed to an all-time high of $215 Billion last month and his cabinet has been spending like a bunch of drunken sailors (on themselves).

That district was heavily gerrymandered (which should be corrected by the fall election), so it truly was a district purposely set up to make it almost impossible for a Democrat to win.

I am annoyed at Paul Ryan's comment that people need to get out and do more fundraising (ostensibly to better fill the airways with negative ads against opponents). Not get better candidates. Not to look for candidates that better represent the people of a district. Not looking for more moderate candidates rather than candidates who push extreme agendas.

Trump's bullying is disturbing and won't likely work for him quite so well this time around. I am sure he is chomping at the bit wanting to know who his opponent will be so that he can begin the name calling. Thing is, he's in office now, and that shouldn't work as well. I think some people gave him a chance assuming his behavior was stump rhetoric and expected it to improve once he got into office. The way he speaks about fellow citizens and people in our government is disgusting.

Impy you aren't the only one who feels that way. I read a column last week .. I think it was David Brooks/NYTimes who said something similar.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't know; I think Trump is a mushroom--the fruit of the decay rather than its cause. A mushroom can be plucked and doesn't last long even if you do nothing, but the reticulum of filaments that birthed it is less easily extricated.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

An excellent metaphor, Dave. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Dave, I agree that he's the fruit of decay, not its cause. The fact that anyone like him was elected President is symptomatic of a societal decay long in the making. His removal will not remove the causes of that gradual deterioration.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:I don't know; I think Trump is a mushroom--the fruit of the decay rather than its cause. A mushroom can be plucked and doesn't last long even if you do nothing, but the reticulum of filaments that birthed it is less easily extricated.
A very good metaphor, unfortunately. :sad: A depressing one. I agree, to a certain extent. However, sometimes when the main source of rot & decay has been removed the spores scatter on less fertile ground, rendering them less of an issue, or perhaps go dormant in a climate where it is unfavorable to take root.

While I do not believe Obama is/was to blame, he (just by his virtue of being) fanned the embers of racism/anger/hate at a time when some feel threatened by the 'browning' of America and the loss of privilege/status/caste. Some are proud racists, some won't admit it, or claim they are not racist because they are fine with minorities (as long as they 'stay in their place'.) Perhaps now that particular glass ceilng has been shattered it won't be such an obstacle in the future.

As for Trump's bragging of lying, we now know he knows he's lying and just doesn't care. It should give all others pause when dealing with him. Not exactly a good bargaining 'art of the deal' chip.

What strikes me is that he is making fun of making fools of others (via his lies). I cannot help but wonder when it will occur to his followers that he thinks the same of them-that they are fools and have been made fools of, by believing his lies.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Trump says he made up trade claims in meeting with Trudeau

The mind boggles. Constantly.
It looks like Justin Trudeau has not yet learned that the only time Trump isn't lying is when his mouth is closed! :nono:

Apropo of his lies, this popped up on my FB page today. It's an old joke but never has it been more appropriately used...

You gotta laugh to keep from crying!
A man dies, goes to heaven, stands before St. Peter, and see a huge wall of clocks. The man asks what all the clocks are for and St. Peter explains, "These are lie clocks. Everyone on earth has a lie clock. Every time a person lies, the clock hands move."

Pointing to one, the man says, "Whose clock is that?"

"That's Mother Teresa's," St. Peter answers. "The hands have never moved, indicating she...never told a lie."
"Incredible," the man responds. "And whose clock is that?"

St. Peter responds, "That's Abraham Lincoln's. The hands moved twice telling us he told two lies in his entire life."

"Where is Donald Trumps clock?" the man asks.

"Trump"s clock is in Jesus' office," St. Peter says. "He's using it as a ceiling fan."
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/JerusalemGreer/stat ... 8912742401
My kid and two other students walked out of their rural, very conservative, public school for 17 minutes today. They were given two punishment options. They chose corporal punishment. This generation is not playing around. #walkout
What the actual... what? Corporal punishment? In a public school? In 2018?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The southern public school I went to in 1988 used corporal punishment. That was (ahem) some time ago, but since we're going backwards...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ceiling fan.Heh. Never heard that one.

I saw the 'corporal punishment' article on Facebook today. I can't believe that. It took a lot of guts for those students to walk out of that school. I live in an area where that wouldn't be a very popular thing to do.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Re. corporal punishment: I'll just leave this here... :roll:

Dave, you are SO right!
Attachments
U.S. in 1950.jpg
U.S. in 1950.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 7496 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am genuinely shocked.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Australia is, regretfully, also looking backward.

Peter Dutton, federal minister fo Home Affairs, seems nostalgic for the White Australia era (he's proposing to offer refugee visas to white South African farmers while permanently locking out current asylum seekers, who coincidentally are all mildly tanned and/or asiatic - and not white), and is also looking to set up a pro-gun lobby - our very own NRA!

The rot continues to spread. I'm beginning to give credence to my son's view that the world is ripe for wholesale revolution - except the sociopaths always end up with power anyway.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/sta ... 3207496705
Stormy’s Lawyer on MSNBC. I’ll paraphrase. “We have photos of Trump’s penis”.
Keep it secret. Please. I don't even care if it's safe.

Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently, he didn't really say that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-stormy-da ... 14043.html
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

The South Africans that Dutton wants to let in are currently undergoing a genocide (as the victims in case that needs to be clarified), so letting them in isn't exactly backwards.

There's nothing backwards about opposing the view that peasants aren't allowed to be armed.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams