Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Impenitent »

I cannot agree with your characterisation of it as a genocide, but I'll put that aside to make two points:
1. More blacks are victims of homicide in SA than whites, by several degrees.
2. Even should your statement be true, why should white SA be prioritised ABOVE asylum seekers from the various Middle Eastern wars who have been banished to Manus Island and other offshore processing centres (which more closely resemble prisons) for YEARS, without hope of ever legally entering Australia?
Of course, these asylum seekers are less white and less Christian than white SA farmers...

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The Australian Government does undertake special intakes of refugees in response to specific humanitarian crises, most recently 12,000 Iraqis and Syrians in response to the Syrian Civil War. My understanding is that Dutton is effectively proposing a similar special intake for white South African farmers.

There’s obviously two questions to answer – one is how serious the situation with white South African farmers is, the other is to what extent our humanitarian immigration programme should take into account factors other than the need for asylum (i.e. should we also consider how easily a potential refugee could be integrated into the community). I have no informed opinion on the first, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to consider the second, although it's a complicated issue. I should mention at the moment that almost all our refugees do come from Iraq, Syria, Burma, Afghanistan, the DRC, Bhutan, Somalia, Iran, Ethiopia and Eritrea.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Well...yes. Those are the places from which people are fleeing for their lives.

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Much like South Africa.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Again, why should white SA farmers be prioritised above those asylum seekers who have been shunted offshore by my government and continue to be treated as pariahs?

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So this is what it has come to (and to be clear, I think Biden is fully as ridiculous I'm this as Trump)

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/22/poli ... index.html

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

As I said with regard to North Korea, I'm all for letting world leaders face off in the boxing ring if that means they'll leave the rest of us out of it.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Impenitent wrote:Again, why should white SA farmers be prioritised above those asylum seekers who have been shunted offshore by my government and continue to be treated as pariahs?
Morally and legally, every person fleeing from a well-founded fear of persecution on the basis of their race, religion, or any of the other characteristics in the U.N. refugee convention is equally entitled to seek asylum in a signatory to the convention, including Australia. Practically, signatories cannot take in every asylum seeker, so they need to come up with some basis to prioritise some over others. Dutton’s argument is that English-speaking SA farmers, coming from a culturally-similar society to ours and with a background in modern agriculture, would integrate more easily. It’s an open policy question as to whether these sorts of considerations should affect our humanitarian migrant intake, but I suppose we need to make decisions somehow.

Personally, no matter who the refugees are, I would strongly prefer to take them directly from camps overseas. I don’t want to minimise the desperate circumstances of those who have attempted to reach Australia by boat, but those who are most vulnerable aren’t able to travel and don’t have the money to cross multiple international borders and pay people smugglers for a crossing of the Timor Sea. If the decision is made on the strict basis of need for protection, they would go behind people in Congolese and Pakistani refugee camps. Which is, I understand, our current policy.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

When they make the movie, the pitch will be "It's like The Firm meets The Three Stooges."

Attorney says Roy Moore supporters offered him $10,000 to drop client who accused the Senate candidate of sexual impropriety
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

While this go properly go in the "Trump's America" thread or even in a thread dedicated specifically to immigration I think it is best place right here.

Amongst the latest "presidential" tweetstorm was this doozy. Apparently referring to a report that he saw on Fox News about a "caravan" of immigrants from Central American coming through Mexico he tweeted, "These big flows of people are all trying to take advantage of DACA. They want in on the act!" Think about this for a second. DACA was program started by President Obama and ended by Trump that applied to people who have lived in the U.S. since 2007 (and were under the age of 16 when they arrived and under 31 in 2012). In other words, Trump has absolutely no idea what DACA actually is.

The mind doesn't boggle, it spins round and round like Linda Blair in the exorcist. :spin:

Edited to add CNN article on the subject: https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/02/opinions ... index.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Why does that not surprise me? It seems there is a whole ... caravan.. of things he has no idea what he's talking about.
It sounds as if he believes he believes one literally cannot see a stealth fighter jet.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Initially I thought that was just left wing media deliberately misinterpreting him. OBVIOUSLY, he meant that it was invisible to Radar and his turn of phrase was being picked apart. Until he said "even if its right next to them, they can't see it..."
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yep. That's our president, that right there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Alatar wrote:Initially I thought that was just left wing media deliberately misinterpreting him. OBVIOUSLY, he meant that it was invisible to Radar and his turn of phrase was being picked apart. Until he said "even if its right next to them, they can't see it..."
Yeah, I was hoping that was just silliness too.

I have no idea how satirists can even work in our current political climate. I really don't.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hey, have *you" ever seen one?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Maybe there's new technology out there we don't know about...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I wonder if the pilots are 'cloaked' too or if they just appear to be hanging out in mid-air?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is a WYHIWHM administration. What you heard is what he meant.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My new piece in The Atlantic: Did the Democrats doom themselves by embracing civil rights? https://t.co/cYJUGxv2eT
https://twitter.com/JamesTraub1/status/ ... 4869393411

This is not a WTF just happened post. This is a WTF is WRONG with that person post.

Voronwë the Faithful

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/04/ ... republican

Nuf sed.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk