The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And yet more bad news for Mr. Trump. In a press release announcing Cohen's sentence put out by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, they also announced that they had reached a "Non-Prosecution Agreement with American Media, Inc., Related to Its Payment of $150,000 to a Woman to Influence 2016 Presidential Election."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/mi ... ars-prison
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's sad when you can't depend on corrupt people or organizations to stick to the corrupt agreements they made with you. :nono:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Seth Abramson's Twitter feed is just a series of "I told you so last year."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

If your buddy Seth can say who the mystery witness is and what it is all about, then I'd be impressed.

Reporters shooed away as mystery Mueller subpoena fight rages on
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

A subpoena is, to my understanding, a court-order for someone to appear in court. How does one fight a subpoena without appearing in court?

(Laws are complicated.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

A subpoena is not necessarily a court order for someone to appear in court. But it is always an order for a witness to testify somewhere. You can have a subpoena for a witness to testify in a trial in court, but you can also have a subpoena for a witness to testify at a deposition, or even to testify to Congress. In this case, we are likely talking about a subpoena to testify to a grand jury. In order to fight a subpoena, one would have one's attorneys file a motion to "quash" the subpoena (yes, legal terms are funny). Your attorneys would then argue the motion, and if it is important enough, argue the appeal of the decision on the motion, but you yourself would not be going to court, only your attorneys.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ah, that (mostly) makes sense. Thanks, V-man.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If your buddy Seth can say who the mystery witness is and what it is all about, then I'd be impressed.

Reporters shooed away as mystery Mueller subpoena fight rages on
He's not my buddy, but he's been a good aggregate source.

Here's his bet, although he named a few other possibilities.
PS3/ I feel like the man most likely to fight a subpoena—whose identity might lead the feds to close a floor of the DC courthouse; assuming, too, it's not some whistleblower whose name/identity we couldn't possibly know—is Lewandowski. But Sessions, Graff, and Hicks are up there.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

In other words, just like everyone else, he has no idea who it is.
Voronwë the Faithful

The special counsel's response to Gen. Flynn's complaint that no one warned him that lying to the FBI was a crime:
A sitting National Security Advisor, former head of an intelligence agency, retired Lieutenant General, and 33-year veteran of the armed forces knows he should not lie to federal agents. He does not need to be warned it is a crime to lie to federal agents to know the
importance of telling them the truth. The defendant undoubtedly was aware, in light of his “many years” working with the FBI, that lying to the FBI carries serious consequences.
Ya think?

They nonetheless are sticking by their recommendation that he not receive any jail time.
Voronwë the Faithful

So the Flynn sentencing hearing has been ongoing. The judge offered him a chance to rescind his guilty plea and refused to do so, saying that he knew that lying to the FBI was illegal. The judge then harshly criticized him, saying "“All along, you were an unregistered agent of a foreign country while serving as the National Security Adviser to the President of the United States. That undermines everything this flag over here stands for. Arguably you sold your country out." He indicated that he may impose a jail term despite the prosecutors recommendation. He then asked the prosecutors with Flynn could have been charged with treason. The prosecutor would not go there. The judge suggested that Flynn might want to delay his sentencing if there was more cooperation that he could give that he could take into consideration. Then he ordered a recess.
Voronwë the Faithful

Flynn's attorney took the judge up on his suggestion that the sentencing be delayed. Prosecutors had no objection so the judge agreed, after walking back his previous treason remarks.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

The mystery is somewhat solved, and no it's not Lewandowski, nor is it Sessions, Graff, or Hicks. It is a still unnamed foreign company.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/18/poli ... index.html

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You can subpoena a company?
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:You can subpoena a company?
*If* (and that is a big if) I understand subpoenas correctly, a subpoena can be for records, information, etc, not just a person, so you can subpoena a company for specific records or documents.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, exactly. Most likely in this case the subpoena is for certain documents, but you can subpoena a company to testify about certain subjects and they need to designate the "person most knowledgeable" from the company about that subject. But I doubt that is the case here. As I said, it is likely to be certain documents.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Interesting!

It's so nice to have smartypants law brains around here. :D
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I may not know a whole lot, I am certainly not a "smartypants law brain" :P . But what I DO know is "there's no way to subpoena phone calls"! And I have that on the authority of the Deupty AG himself :rotfl:

:love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF