The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Russia Investigations and (un)related scandals

Post by Inanna »

IAWV
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë, of course, he will. It's what narcissists do. It's how they have become what they are. They do things ordinary people would never do and they get away with it. With each 'reward' for doing what they do, they hone their skills. :/ I've said this before, based on my experiences, no one will come away unscathed. The country will not come away unscathed. Narcissists do not care who or what they tear down. It is all about preservation of self.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is mostly remarkable because this tweet was posted by KellyAnne Conway's husband. Dinner ought to be fun at that house.
IMG_20180503_100234.jpg
IMG_20180503_100234.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/9 ... 8762096640
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He's been retweeting anti-Trump tweets since just after the election, though he deleted a bunch of them. She got all indignant when she was asked about that on CNN a couple of weeks ago.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

{Checks to makes sure this is the right thread}

The bombshell reports are coming fast and furious. The latest:

Feds tapped Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's phones
At least one phone call between a phone line associated with Cohen and the White House was intercepted, a source said.

:shock: I don't even know what to say about this. :shock:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And Trump called Cohen after the raid against the advice of his lawyers.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My overload warning light is blinking.

So glad we are going to the beach. Three days of reading for pleasure while listening to WWOZ New Orleans, which has no news, no commercials, and no political ranting—just a lot of great music.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Costa:
"I was going to get this over with": Inside Giuliani’s explosive Stormy Daniels revelation...
https://t.co/4B4ak9K9LO
www.pinterest.com.jpg
www.pinterest.com.jpg (10.08 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think what is really going on here is that they are going for the insanity plea.
Voronwë the Faithful

"One White House official texted a reporter a string of emoji characters in response, including a tiny container of popcorn."
Voronwë the Faithful

NBC is now walking back its wiretap report, saying:
Earlier today, NBC News reported that there was a wiretap on the phones of Michael Cohen, President Trump’s longtime personal attorney, citing two separate sources with knowledge of the legal proceedings involving Cohen.
But three senior U.S. officials now dispute that, saying that the monitoring of Cohen’s phones was limited to a log of calls, known as a pen register, not a wiretap where investigators can actually listen to calls.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... es-n871011
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's an idea. How about we make a WTF forum and move all current events threads there, so I don't have to decide what goes into the lone WTF thread.
Michael Avenatti breaks news on @TheLastWord: "There were extensive communications between Michael Cohen and [Stormy Daniels' ex-lawyer] Keith Davidson in October of 2016 relating to the timing of this payment and the need for the payment to be made prior to the election."
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 1235868673

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I second that Frelga. I was going to post a couple of things today but I couldn't find the WTH thread. I had no idea where to put it.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri May 04, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to find it, Rose. The last post in it is yours.

In any event in the unlikely event that that was a serious suggestion, the answer is "no".
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the discussion about House Chaplain Patrick Conroy not resigning into a separate thread.
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump said today that his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani is "going to get his facts right" but after all, you can't expect him to know what he is talking about yet because "he just started yesterday." You just can't make this stuff up.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/politics ... index.html

He also said that he would meet with Mueller as long as it was guaranteed that it was "fair". That, of course, means that they go into to the meeting with the conclusion that there was no collusion and no obstruction.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't be able to find it, Rose. The last post in it is yours.

In any event in the unlikely event that that was a serious suggestion, the answer is "no".
Not even if we translate Whiskey Tango Foxtrot into Quenya? Image

No, I wasn't serious, just venting my frustration with the times and mores.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Giuliani tells NBC News that he made Trump “aware of paperwork” that showed Trump’s payments to Cohen were actually reimbursements for the Stormy hush money payment.

Trump replied: ‘Oh my goodness, I guess that's what it was for,’” Giuliani said. https://t.co/kU1K2QTh9p
Oh my goodness indeed.

Recall that a number of lawyers cited the fact that Trump refuses to pay his bills as the reason why they declined to work for his. But he just paid Cohen 3 times what he owed him without asking why.

Voronwë the Faithful

A bad day in court for Mueller's team. In a hearing in Virginia on the charges against Manafort the judge (a 77 year-old Reagan appointee who took over the case in March of this year), the judge expressed skepticism about the authority of the special counsel's office to bring these charges, and in remarks that can only be described as extraordinary, insisted that they were only bringing these charges to get Manafort to "sing" and that he was worried that Manafort would "compose" instead. Honestly, these remarks could have been made by Devin Nunes or someone of that ilk.

It would be even more extraordinary if he dismissed the charges (which are supposed to go to trial in July), but I would not be at all surprised if he did so.

Other legal observers found the judge's comments as surprising as I did:
Legal experts questioned the judge's comments.
Asha Rangappa, a former FBI special agent, characterized Ellis' remarks about prosecutors aiming to get Manafort to flip as "bizarre commentary."
"Unless there is something legally amiss in the indictment, speculating re motives of the [special counsel] is beyond the judge's purview (and also seems to suggest that there is a connection [between] Manafort's criminal bank fraud and Trump," she tweeted.
Renato Mariotti, a former federal prosecutor, echoed that view.
"Whether the special counsel wants Manafort to flip is not relevant to the question of whether this indictment is within the scope of his jurisdiction," he wrote. "If the judge considers Mueller's motivation in bringing the indictment and dismisses it, that's reversible error."
He added: "Even if the judge ultimately does not take his view of Mueller's motivations into account in his ruling, he politicized the proceeding with comments that were unnecessary and created an appearance that he has a political agenda."
http://www.businessinsider.com/judge-ts ... sia-2018-5