The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You still didn't say where you heard or saw that, or give a link.

ETA: I see it is a tweet. And a joke.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't know where Frelga got her information, but I found this in Newsweek
“When are you announcing your 2020 run?” HillReporter.com editor Brian Krassenstein replied.

(Avenatti replies) “IF (big) he seeks re-election, I will run, but only if I think that there is no other candidate in the race that has a REAL chance at beating him," Avenatti responded. "We can't relive 2016. I love this country, our values and our people too much to sit by while they are destroyed. #FightClub #Basta.”
Part of the problem is we have nut jobs who want to RUN but don't really want or understand the JOB.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:You still didn't say where you heard or saw that, or give a link.

ETA: I see it is a tweet. And a joke.
Like I said.

Well, maybe not the Reeve part. Image
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I'm sort of baffled by the number of prominent people claiming Russia must "have something" on Trump. That argument presupposes that the man has a sense of shame.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If they do (and I think they do), it must be something that would cost him a lot of money if revealed. That's getting him where it hurts him. He doesn't know from shame.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave_LF wrote:I'm sort of baffled by the number of prominent people claiming Russia must "have something" on Trump. That argument presupposes that the man has a sense of shame.
He probably does, though it's not triggered by anything that would affect a normal person. Narcissists are extremely image conscience and deeply insecure. My guess is, if there is kompromat, it would have to do with something we know he's defensive about, like his wealth, health, or manhood. Or the kompromat is right in our faces: Russia's assistance in the election. He doesn't want to share credit for his victory and he doesn't want his legitimacy questioned.

Or maybe there is indeed no kompromat. Maybe he's simply unable to grasp what "America First" has meaning beyond bullying allies and trading partners. This is a man who never held any public office or a leadership position in a public company. He's not exactly a team player. He bullies subordinates on Twitter, for example. So maybe it didn't occur to him until he misspoke (for the sake of argument, I'll accept that he was being grossly negligent rather than outright treasonous yesterday) that you're not supposed to throw your own intelligence service under the bus at an important summit with a fellow and adversarial world leader and the nation you're supposed to be leading is going to take exception when you do.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No, I don't think Trump has a sense of shame. Or loyalty (except TO him).

After 4 bankruptcies Trump was unable to get money from American lenders. He owes Deutsche bank hundreds of millions of dollars and yet somewhere he came up with 400 million and in 15 years bought 12 golf courses and several other large properties. His golf courses are not good money makers and in many cases are huge money pits. He has had very few successful projects. So, just where does his money come from? I'd say someone has been doing laundry for Russian Oligarchs. Putin is notorious for his vast hidden wealth. A match made in.. well, not heaven.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

As a friend said to me last night: "Follow the money!" I think Trump has been helping the Russians launder money. And, of course, there's the embarrassment of them having helped Trump win the election. Very hard for a narcissist to owe up to that!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

When I said that I don't see why Russia would interfere in our elections, what I meant was that I don't see why Russia would not interfere in our elections.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunsilver wrote: Very hard for a narcissist to owe up to that!
A narcissist wouldn't see what's wrong with what they've done in the first place. Everything is game in their book. That is why they are never guilty.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was thinking I was more curious to know what Putin had on the GOP, and then I remembered that the recent indictment said that GRU hacked the RNC servers as well as the DNC, but didn't make anything public.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I read that entire indictment and I don't recall seeing anything about them hacking the RNC (and I just searched through it and couldn't find anything). Can you point out where it says that in the indictment?

Before he was fired, Coney noted that they tried to hack the RNC but my understanding was that they were mostly unsuccessful. Politifact rated Trump's claim that they tried and failed to hack the RNC "mostly true".
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... blican-na/

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It sounds to me like it was something of an 'open secret' among some of the GOP members that the Russians had this information and were willing to utilize it. To know that a foreign country is interfering in our elections and not report it is a crime.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I was mistaken. I thought I read that in the indictment analysis you quoted but it was actually in River's post just below. Comey did say that the Trump campaign servers weren't hacked, only the state ones.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A year or so ago I read that the RNC was hacked and e-mails were stolen and Wikileaks elected not to publish them because reasons.

That's what I was referring to.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I don't think anyone really knows to what extent the RNC was hacked. I find it hard to believe Wikileaks would hold back RNC dirt. Why? That doesn't seem like them at all.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They’ve changed.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Faramond, Assange said something to the effect of "We can't out-do Trump's mouth."

What's interesting is that many years ago Wikileaks claimed to have a whole lot of Russian government dirt that they were going to translate and punish...but never did. Instead, Assange got involved with Russia Today. So there's a conspiracy theory that Wikileaks is in bed with Russia and they were a participating in the active measures deployed by Russian agencies in the 2016 election.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wikileaks is biased. A bias that favors Russia. Through Assange it worked to influence the US elections. They did not want Hillary to win. Wikileaks promoted conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton; the murder of John Seth, that Podesta partook in Satanic rituals, false rumors regarding Hillary's health, that Hillary had something to do with child kidnapping, and that Hillary wanted to drone strike Assange. Wikileaks had direct contact with the Trump campaign. I don't know that they've ever published anything negative about Russia & they have turned down information about Russian information.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Nate Silver

Finally the Russia story arc seems to be heading somewhere and the *2018* writers reintroduce the Playboy models subplot?
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 3309281280