2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

@jdawsey1 is a Washington Post White House reporter, so this is just some guy saying this. Much as I find it difficult to believe, even in this day and age. What do they think is the value-added of having them there.

So far as I know, they are still facing felony charges for their actions.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Former senior Trump administration official endorses Joe Biden

In all my years of closely following presidential politics (more than 40), I don't recall ever seeing a senior official who worked in an incumbent's administration explicitly endorse his general election opponent.
Good for Miles Taylor. But should we be surprised at what he has to say? Trump is a person who, amid all of the other very important things happening right now, is concerned about legislation regarding shower heads because he needs more flow for 'perfect hair'. He complains that toilets need to be flushed 15 times. I'd say that's TMI (too much information) and he should discuss his personal problems with a doctor.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:@jdawsey1 is a Washington Post White House reporter, so this is just some guy saying this. Much as I find it difficult to believe, even in this day and age. What do they think is the value-added of having them there.

The tweet links to a WaPo article. (I think you meant ISNT just some guy).

They are looking for a new Joe the Plumber? (And I get that the gun lobby needs to be represented, but can't they find someone who is not a complete embarrassment at handling guns?)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The NRA is in a complete shambles right now so I guess those turkeys from Missouri are the best they can do.
RoseMorninStar wrote: He complains that toilets need to be flushed 15 times. I'd say that's TMI (too much information) and he should discuss his personal problems with a doctor.
Now, now, you can't imagine the mighty burdens a President carries. Especially if he isn't eating enough green salad. =:)
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:@jdawsey1 is a Washington Post White House reporter, so this is just some guy saying this. Much as I find it difficult to believe, even in this day and age. What do they think is the value-added of having them there.

The tweet links to a WaPo article. (I think you meant ISNT just some guy).
Um, yes, sorry and thank you. (I seem to be incapable of not saying the opposite of what I mean :roll:).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:(I seem to be incapable of not saying the opposite of what I mean :roll:).
:hug:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:(I seem to be incapable of not saying the opposite of what I mean :roll:).
But at least you mean what you say. :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
But at least you mean what you say. :)
Except, he doesn't? :rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

V means what he would have said if he said what he meant to say? :P

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:V means what he would have said if he said what he meant to say? :P
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" - Alan Greenspan.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I think I'll let these two speak for me. This is incredibly powerful (at least I found it to be so).

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

This couple is a cause celebre on the right. There have been few prosecutions in St. Louis in the wake of riots and murders, but the (prosecutor, DA?) didn't hesitate to press charges against this couple, who were no doubt reacting to recent national events that saw many buildings/businesses burned or otherwise damaged before violent protests were brought under control. There was immediate local push-back, with calls for an investigation of the official and assurances from the Gov. of a pardon, should events proceed. The couple is an embodiment of 2nd amendment rights under attack, and that issue always excites the Republican base.

Gun sales have doubled nationally during this summer of protests. I'm guessing these people aren't the only ones determined that their property won't be destroyed without a fight.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I think I'll let these two speak for me. This is incredibly powerful (at least I found it to be so).

Okay so that was a really good rendition, but I swear I thought it was going to be some wacked-out parody based on the video.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

WaPo has been doing a series on swing states. I'm not too 'Wow'd' about living in the WOW right about now.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin wrote:

This couple is a cause celebre on the right. There have been few prosecutions in St. Louis in the wake of riots and murders, but the (prosecutor, DA?) didn't hesitate to press charges against this couple, who were no doubt reacting to recent national events that saw many buildings/businesses burned or otherwise damaged before violent protests were brought under control. There was immediate local push-back, with calls for an investigation of the official and assurances from the Gov. of a pardon, should events proceed. The couple is an embodiment of 2nd amendment rights under attack, and that issue always excites the Republican base.

Gun sales have doubled nationally during this summer of protests. I'm guessing these people aren't the only ones determined that their property won't be destroyed without a fight.
Thank you for sharing that perspective, Cerin.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

At least we know who's not getting invited.
Ammon Bundy coming out in favor of Black Lives Matter and Defunding Police is somewhat surprising but also, he hates government so of course he doesn’t like the enforcement arm of the government. His followers crying in the comments is hilarious though.
I've got to give him points for consistency if nothing else.

There's a video in the tweet, which I didn't watch.
https://twitter.com/GregoryMcKelvey/sta ... 96006?s=19

Voronwë the Faithful

Here's someone who I am not at all surprised is going.

Nick Sandmann to speak at RNC

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile Lara Loomer, a self-proclaimed proud Islamophobe, who was banned from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Uber and Lyft, won a Republican primary in Florida's 21st District. Because enough Republicans looked at her and said, yes, that's exactly the person who is most aligned with my values.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I heard that she's under a restraining order with Facebook. Not allowed on their campus. And I saw a picture of her chained to a door at a Twitter facility. Clearly a very serious and rational person with healthy social media habits who we'd be lucky to have in our Legislative Branch.

How do you get banned from a ride-sharing service anyway? Or should I regret even asking?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

How do you get banned from a ride-sharing service anyway? Or should I regret even asking?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

She probably told them not to send her a driver who was anything but white. That would be my guess. Or they sent her one that wasn't white, and she treated them so horribly, she got herself banned.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.