2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by elengil »

From the DNC - that's one brave kid.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That IS what bravery looks like.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Is there any legitimate reason for the post office to be throwing out so many mail sorting machines? Are they even trying to pretend?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave_LF wrote:Is there any legitimate reason for the post office to be throwing out so many mail sorting machines? Are they even trying to pretend?
No and no.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Trump's body language while Melania was speaking was very interesting:

Narcissism in action: how DARE she get the spotlight, and not me! :rofl:
Attachments
Trump Melanias speech.jpg
Trump Melanias speech.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It appears to me as if he's intimidating her so that she not veer from the script/says anything he doesn't like.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My thesis adviser sat like that during my defense for some reason. I just avoided looking at him. Some people are just pricks.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:My thesis adviser sat like that during my defense for some reason. I just avoided looking at him. Some people are just pricks.
Oh geez.

That stalking look reminds me of what Trump did to Hillary at the debates in 2016. I hope if debates are held in the same room (and quite honestly I'd rather they didn't) I hope Trump is not allowed to menacingly stalk around on the stage like a freakin' creep.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
River wrote:My thesis adviser sat like that during my defense for some reason. I just avoided looking at him. Some people are just pricks.
Oh geez.
He got himself in trouble for the way he behaved at his students' defenses. I wasn't the first to get that kind of treatment. I was the last. I think my second reader gave him the business.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:
Oh geez.
He got himself in trouble for the way he behaved at his students' defenses. I wasn't the first to get that kind of treatment. I was the last. I think my second reader gave him the business.
I'm glad an end was put to that behavior but sorry you had to suffer through it. That's got to be associated with some sort of personality disorder/issue. Have you gotten rid of the difficult boss now?

I've been listening to YouTube videos (mainly on narcissism) from MedCircle with Dr. Rumani but there are also videos on other personality disorders. It's rather illuminating.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I defended in 2008 so the thesis advisor is ancient history. And a nice yardstick for crappy management. My retiring boss committed a couple nasty fouls but there were a bunch of other things he did not do.

As for my thesis advisor, I wouldn't say he had a personality disorder. He did have issues, though. One of my labmates suspected bipolar disorder.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This must have Mr. Trump infuriated. Biden's speech had better ratings than Trump's had, and the DNC had higher ratings on each night than the equivalent night of the RNC.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

No doubt!! Wonder if he will moan about it on Twitter!

:rofl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This must have Mr. Trump infuriated. Biden's speech had better ratings than Trump's had, and the DNC had higher ratings on each night than the equivalent night of the RNC.
On one hand, that seems like a pathetically trivial thing to get in a huff about if you're a President and your country is struggling with an infectious disease pandemic and the accompanying socioeconomic fallout. On the other hand, Trump's infamously prone to obsession over all things television so yeah, there probably will be a public tantrum. In the wee hours, when it's prime time for Presidential sh*t-posting on Twitter.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wonder no more! All one needs to do is LIE! Spin! Declare FAKE NEWS! Gaslight, manipulate, obfuscate..
Forbes: Trump Spins RNC TV Ratings Loss As ‘Fake News’

Twitter: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 65440?s=20

What a bunch of sewage. Excuse me whilst I go scrub my eyeballs.
Voronwë the Faithful

I didn't even bother to post that I thought that was what he was going to say, it was so obvious.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Two polls out today showing Biden's lead has shrunk to 6 points, from Morning Consult and yougov, both of which are fairly high quality polls, and both of which recently have shown Biden with a double digit lead. Of course it could just be a temporary convention bump, but it also could be sign that the race is tightening, as expected.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

We'll see what happens.
Voronwë the Faithful

Eventually.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump sucks the air out of everything. Blatant disregard for law and norms (most recently the Hatch Act) are so numerous that it is allowed to slide by.