2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Faramond wrote:It's kind of hard to imagine having a convention, isn't it?
Very much hard to imagine. The Milwaukee area has been counting on it/working toward it for quite some time. It's not the 2020 Olympics, but ... yeah.. I'm kinda thinking they will have to have a change of plans.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Biden has suggested postponing until August. I don't know that that would make it any more likely, but that is one possibility.

Biden says Democratic convention should be postponed until August
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

When will Sanders step down, in the name of Eru!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Not any time soon, apparently.

I'm done talking about Sanders. It is not good for me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Democrats Postpone Convention, and a Test of Wills With Republicans Looms

It's now scheduled for the week before the Republican convention. That should be interesting. If it even happens then.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

August sounds optimistic to me, but maybe.

Isn't it common for the conventions to be a week apart? Or at least not unprecedented.
Voronwë the Faithful

After checking, the answer is yes, it is common. After re-reading the article, I would say that I misinterpreted the author's intent. The "test of wills" is really who will blink first and cancel or further postpone the convention when it becomes apparent that it is still not a smart idea to gather thousands of people in one place, given that it is basically the same time frame.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Faramond wrote:August sounds optimistic to me, but maybe.
We have to hope. It's going to get really horrible, but we have to hope.

As for flinching/rescheduling again...wasn't it one time customary to have the conventions in the autumn of the election year anyway? Or am I confused?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that was one of the things that I noted in looking at the lists of dates. They were often in early September.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Of course, if COVID follows the 1918 model, August might be better than September in terms of raging viral fury.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:Of course, if COVID follows the 1918 model, August might be better than September in terms of raging viral fury.
Wasn't that (in part) because of troops coming home?
https://www.livescience.com/spanish-flu.html
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Only in part. It's also how flu, and a lot of respiratory infections, roll.
Voronwë the Faithful

I think I'll put this here. It will be difficult for Mr. Trump to win reelection without winning Florida.

It's a sh-- sandwich': Republicans rage as Florida becomes a nightmare for Trump

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the COVID thread.. but Milwaukee usually has 180 polling sites. There are 5. FIVE for the city of Milwaukee. The lines are hours long. The overwhelming request for absentee ballots resulted in many going out too late to be delivered, extension time for returns was denied. I got mine & returned it on time, but not so for many others. This is NOT what democracy looks like. :rage:
Voronwë the Faithful

One might think that the most important race in todays Wisconsin election (which the Wisconsin Supreme Court allowed to go forward today) to the 2020 presidential election would be the presidential primary. But it is not. The most important race to the presidential election is the race between State Supreme Court Justice Daniel Kelly and Dane County Judge Jill Karofsky for a 10-year term on Wisconsin's high court. Why? In February, the Wisconsin Appeals Court blocked the removal of over 200,000 voters who were set to be purged from the state's voter rolls, most of whom are likely to be Democratic-leaning. While the state Supreme Court previously refused to jump in a bypass the Appeals Court in 3-3 deadlock, it would be far more likely to overturn the Appeals Court decision and purge the voters before the general election in November if Kelly remains on the court.

Who knows how important this is? Earlier this morning, Donald J. Trump tweeted: "Wisconsin, get out and vote NOW for Justice Daniel Kelly."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah.. and Milwaukee & Madison, the 2 largest cities in WIsconsin, tend to vote Democratic so the more they can disenfranchise the people of those 2 cities.. the better to steal an election/influence. Because they can't win otherwise.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

So.. today was a crap show for our important election. Not only were few polling places open, but many people who requested an absentee ballot didn't receive them in time because the requests were heavy & the post offices are backed up. We also had a storm move through with heavy rain and hail so no fun for those who were standing in lines for hours outside to vote.

One of our very own TORc members made the news here. I had to request my absentee ballot twice too, but mine arrived in time.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sums it up.
Screenshot_20200407-173045.jpg
Screenshot_20200407-173045.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Oof.

I want to laugh, but I also just kinda want to cry.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A lot of people are livid. Theft is what it is. Immoral. Undemocratic. Downright evil. :burned: