2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Biden certainly saw it coming. He predicted it back in April.
I thought that was a silly thing for Biden to say at the time. I should have known better.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The only part of this that surprises me is that he is pulling it out so early. I figured he'd wait until much closer then drop it like it's some huge last-minute emergency delay, maybe even try to emergency executive order it or something.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Question from an ignorant foreigner: Can he do that?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't know if that "Settle for Biden" site will convince anyone who's on the fence. My guess is not very many - it may function more as a sounding-board for people who already feel that way.

On the other hand, I've been watching some videos of the "Republican Voters Against Trump" channel. They're short home-produced messages from people who identify as lifelong republicans. Some voted for Trump in 2016 and changed their minds, others voted Clinton or 3rd-party in 2016, and almost all of them endorse Biden unequivocally. I think these videos have a much higher chance of changing minds than the "Settle for Biden" crowd.

You can search on youtube for "Republican Voters Against Trump" to see what I mean. Here's one chosen at random:

elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:Question from an ignorant foreigner: Can he do that?
Lots and lots and lots of people will say no but, I mean, he's done lots of things already that he "can't" do, so at this point, really who knows?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Jude wrote:Question from an ignorant foreigner: Can he do that?
No.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What's to stop him?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:What's to stop him?
Exactly.

Even if the election goes ahead, what's to stop him from deploying his secret police to all major city polling locations to "secure" the election?

So uh... hypothetically... how does one ask the UN to send monitors??
was a 2020 planner.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

First, election dates, and, to a point, methods are set by the states. Second, Inauguration Day is set forth in the Constitution and Congress set a deadline for the Electoral College to meet. If states don't send electors on that date, they just don't get a voice in the EC. Trump can do a whole lot of squawking but without buy-in from Congress and State Legislatures that's all he can do.

There are certainly more constructive ways Trump could deal with his fear of losing. But, despite selling himself as some sort of dealmaker and builder, doing constructive things really isn't what he does.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump cannot delay the election. It's up to congress and that's not likely to happen. He can, however, cause a other chaos and disruption (as he is wont to do).. declare it unsafe for people to leave their homes at the peril of being arrested or other shenanigans.

Alatar, I'm not sure if I saw the video, but I do think we are in for some serious trials and tribulations. The QAnon's and Trump's 'dog whistles' are all pointing to a all out civil war should he lose.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[I was typing a message that says almost exactly what Rose said in her first paragraph, so instead I'll just say IAWR.]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes, I'm much more worried that the whole thing will be such a fiasco that everyone rightly doubts the validity of the "result," and then what?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is something that the Biden campaign has been making preparations for for a long time. Whether their efforts will help make a difference is certainly an open question, but they are at least trying.

ETA: And a number of Republican Senators and representatives have pushed back against Trump's tweet: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/politics ... index.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Alatar, I'm not sure if I saw the video, but I do think we are in for some serious trials and tribulations.
Sorry it wasn't a video:

https://eand.co/america-is-having-the-m ... ac9aac0d17
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë, very pleased to see the pushback from some of the Republicans!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunsilver wrote:Voronwë, very pleased to see the pushback from some of the Republicans!
Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican and Trump ally, told CNN when asked about the President's call to delay the election: "I don't think that's a particularly good idea."
That's not pushback.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote: That's not pushback.
My thoughts exactly. :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

if a Democrat had suggested a tiny fraction of the stuff Trump comes up with -- let alone delaying the election -- there would have been (rightfully so) major outrage. Now it's just like, "Oh.. he says stuff.. " This is who we have as president. :bang:

A while back someone (here) said something to the effect of Trump not needing a large contingent/majority of people to embrace Trumps whack-a-doodle conspiracy laden nutty ideas, just enough to create havoc and chaos. I have no doubt we will see that.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I've said it before, but I really wish this hadn't happened during an election year.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave_LF wrote:I've said it before, but I really wish this hadn't happened during an election year ever.
Fixed it for you. :P