2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Inanna »

Cerin, I feel similarly.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"Over and over, we are told that women are not allowed to be angry. It makes us unattractive to powerful men who want us to be quiet," Sen. Elizabeth Warren said after remarks by her political rivals
'I own it': Warren embraces her anger -- and the politics of the moment

As the kids say, we stan the queen. Or, preferably, the President.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick is entering the race.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/77865340 ... 0-campaign
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

To my surprise, Patrick has made it official. I think had he gotten in earlier, he might (and I emphasize "might") have been a formidable candidate. At this point I think it will be very difficult for him to gain much traction. But who knows? He was a very popular governor (much more popular in Massachusetts than Warren) and is close to Obama. If he can have a good showing in New Hampshire (which borders Massachusetts as well as Sander's Vermont) and South Carolina (where the Democratic voters are majority African American) maybe he can take off. Strange things sometimes happen in politics.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

But I would bet on it not happening.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I would too if I bet. But I don't!

One factor that I think is likely to come into play is that the impeachment trial in the Senate is now likely to overlap with the early primaries and caucuses, which might hurt Warren and Sanders (and the other Senators running, though I doubt any of them will rise enough to have a realistic chance).

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Regarding a Senate trial overlapping with primaries, Speaker Pelosi answered a question about articles of impeachment at a news conference today, saying (paraphrasing), 'We don't know that. We haven't decided to impeach. That's what the inquiry is about.' That made me wonder momentarily what chance there is that we will never get as far as a Senate trial. It certainly is rather impractical to do an impeachment so close to an election, what with people needing to campaign and wanting to maximize press attention to their campaigns.

Gov. Patrick seems to be an ideal solution to the worries about Biden's viability, for those establishment Democrats who are nervous about Warren. I can't help wondering if people appealed to him behind the scenes to get in.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Some key Democrats are probably concerned by the age of the three frontrunners, Biden's penchant for gaffes, and Warren's and Sanders' potential ideological baggage. Certainly there's still a lot of undecideds. But if he does win the nomination, it'd be one of the latest starts for a successful candidate in years.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sure that they did. Patrick was pretty adamant about not running and about how horrible the process is. I'm sure that he had to be convinced to do this.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

This tweet from "DPRK News Service" just about sums up Deval Patrick, I think.

Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick brings charisma of Michael Bloomberg, and wealth of Pete Buttigieg, to US democratic race.

Also this one:

Deval Patrick frequently compared to Barack Obama, minus personal magnetism and with added corruption.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

DPRK News Service?? Democratic People's Republic of Korea??
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's a parody account.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ah.. well, that makes a bit more sense.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hi, this is your friendly reminder that when we ask how electable a candidate is, we actually ask how bigoted the electorate is.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Hi, this is your friendly reminder that when we ask how electable a candidate is, we actually ask how bigoted the electorate is.
Yes, in some instances. I'd also say too far to any extreme (right/left) is a turn off for some voters. I considering voting for John McCain but when he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate it was a no-go for me and it wasn't about her gender.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, but then people use phrases like "stance on abortion", "experience with foreign policy", or "dumb as a felt boot." Electability is useful in quite a different context.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Door #3 for Sarah Palin! I think I've used the term 'electability' or something similar when referring to the wide swath of candidates, but not in reference to a particular candidate. I honestly do not think our nation can survive another Trump term.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

And yet, it is not unlikely, despite all the revelations of reprehensible behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote:And yet, it is not unlikely, despite all the revelations of reprehensible behaviour.
Propaganda, conspiracy theories, and alternate facts will do that.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Another night where Biden gets attention mostly for some ridiculous gaffes. I don't know how it hasn't hurt him much in the primaries but it really makes me nervous to think what the reactions to that kind of stuff would be under the increased scrutiny of the general election.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists