Bloody Sunday Investigation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Bloody Sunday Investigation

Post by Alatar »

For those who are unaware, the soldiers investigated in the Bloody Sunday massacre in Derry in 1972 have been more or less exonerated. Only one will face prosecution for the 28 shootings during a peaceful protest march. Rather than report this with my own bias I'll just share the Wikipedia entry:
Bloody Sunday, sometimes called the Bogside Massacre, was an incident on 30 January 1972 in the Bogside area of Derry, Northern Ireland, when British soldiers shot 28 unarmed civilians during a protest march against internment. Fourteen people died: thirteen were killed outright, while the death of another man four months later was attributed to his injuries. Many of the victims were shot while fleeing from the soldiers and some were shot while trying to help the wounded. Other protesters were injured by rubber bullets or batons, and two were run down by army vehicles. The march had been organised by the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association (NICRA). The soldiers involved were members of the 1st Battalion, Parachute Regiment, also known as "1 Para"

Two investigations have been held by the British government. The Widgery Tribunal, held in the immediate aftermath of the incident, largely cleared the soldiers and British authorities of blame. It described the soldiers' shooting as "bordering on the reckless", but accepted their claims that they shot at gunmen and bomb-throwers. The report was widely criticised as a "whitewash". The Saville Inquiry, chaired by Lord Saville of Newdigate, was established in 1998 to reinvestigate the incident. Following a 12-year inquiry, Saville's report was made public in 2010 and concluded that the killings were both "unjustified" and "unjustifiable". It found that all of those shot were unarmed, that none were posing a serious threat, that no bombs were thrown, and that soldiers "knowingly put forward false accounts" to justify their firing. On the publication of the report, British prime minister David Cameron made a formal apology on behalf of the United Kingdom. Following this, police began a murder investigation into the killings.

Bloody Sunday was one of the most significant events of "the Troubles" because a large number of civilians were killed, by forces of the state, in full view of the public and the press. It was the highest number of people killed in a single shooting incident during the conflict. Bloody Sunday increased Catholic and Irish nationalist hostility towards the British Army and exacerbated the conflict. Support for the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) rose and there was a surge of recruitment into the organisation, especially locally.
Naturally this does not do much for relations in Northern Ireland.

For local context, my home town is populated by a lot of people who fled the troubles. Here's a report from one of them:

https://clarechampion.ie/they-were-trai ... nto-derry/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Bloody Sunday Investigation

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Al. I don't really know enough to comment further, but it seems to be a disappointing result. I hope that tensions do not reignite, particularly with the uncertainty over the border because of the looming hard Brexit.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

One soldier? One?
He was clearly a busy man on that day.

I am astounded to find out that this case has only now been decided, almost 50 years after the event.

Typed on a tiny phone keyboard on Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I am forced to admit that due to (what feels like) the status quo in the US, I don't find this the least bit shocking or even unexpected. Not that I had any idea an investigation was ongoing, but it is the kind of crap that gets pulled here all the time. It's sickening. I am deeply saddened that so many victims - both direct and indirect - will never receive any kind of justice, but also recognize that my sorrow does nothing to correct it, so I hope that such sentiments aren't just salt on the wound.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF