Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Trump and others charged with conspiring to overturn 2020 election in Georgia

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This might turn out to be the first post in a new thread, but I'll leave it here from now.

Atlanta-area prosecutor expected to seek more than a dozen indictments in Trump case

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is expected to seek more than a dozen indictments when she presents her case regarding efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the 2020 presidential election results in Georgia before a grand jury next week, sources familiar with the matter told CNN.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Another post that I will likely move to the new thread, probably as soon as Tuesday.

Anna Bower wrote:Translation: Expect to see indictments handed up in Fulton County by the end of Tuesday.
First on CNN: Fulton County DA to present Trump election subversion case to grand jury early next week
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This is from a few days ago but but I'll throw it in here as, if it happens, it will be the first time.

Trump will get a mugshot if indicted in Georgia, sheriff says
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Other than special security/safety procedures, everyone should be treated the same.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Trump will get a mugshot if indicted in Georgia, sheriff says

Forgive me if I rub my hands together in glee!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I don't think I will feel glee, but I sure wish it were all over.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful

But there is nothing tying it directly to Trump. Which highlights a potential problem with both that case and the one brought by Smith. To what extent can Trump be held responsible for what others did in his name.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:33 pm But there is nothing tying it directly to Trump. Which highlights a potential problem with both that case and the one brought by Smith. To what extent can Trump be held responsible for what others did in his name.
Bridgegate all over again, eh?
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly. Of course, in Georgia there is the phone call to Raffensperger and in the broader case there is the direct interaction with Jeffrey Clark and with Pence. Will it be enough? Time will tell.
Voronwë the Faithful

This thread from Anna Bower lays out what to expect in the next couple of days in Georgia.

The key points are: 1) most of the work was done by the special grand jury and Willis can just present their evidence to the regular grand jury, supplemented by the testimony of a couple of witnesses; 2) the standard of proof for probable cause is not high; and 3) if an indictment is approved, it will become public quickly.
Voronwë the Faithful

I said in the thread about the indictment charging Trump with seeking to overturn the 2020 election that his post attacking Judge Chutkan was not the most inappropriate one that he has made today. That prize would go to a post that he made literally warning former Georgia Lt. Governor Jeff Duncan, who has confirmed that he has been subpoenaed to testify at the Fulton County grand jury tomorrow, not to testify. That is about as blatant witness tampering as you can get, and may even add to the initial charges he faces in Georgia (and could even be used to justify not releasing him when he gets arrested, though I am sure they won't go there). Moreover, since Duncan is also a potential witness in the federal case, he may face consequences there as well.

ETA: He is still at it.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I guess we'll have to see

I presume at most this means these are the charges the grand jury will be asked to vote on?

Edit: It looks like the tweet has been deleted, which could mean a few different things, but here's a screenshot:
GeorgiaOnMyMind.png
GeorgiaOnMyMind.png (35.74 KiB) Viewed 6325 times
Voronwë the Faithful

The Spiro's Ghost tweet actually is still there, though other tweets have been deleted. I think it is most likely correct that those will be the charges that the grand jury will be asked to vote on, but either way, what a clusterfuck!

ETA: Sara Lynch of Reuters (who "broke" the story), has posted a screencap of what had reportedly been posted on the court site.
Voronwë the Faithful

It looks like it might happen today after all.

Voronwë the Faithful

The Fulton County courthouse normally closes at 5. It is still open. Judge McBurney has told reporters he won't leave without letting them know. Later he advised them to go get dinner. Very few left to do so. Reportedly there are still at least a couple of witnesses left to testify. It certainly appears that Fani Willis is trying to get this done and over with today, but perhaps she will finish the witnesses today and have the grand jury vote tomorrow. Meanwhile, Trump's legal team and various other allies have been shouting about the injustice of the apparent falsely filed case.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Is keeping a grand jury after hours to finish up a thing that happens? Why wouldn’t they just adjourn until tomorrow?
Voronwë the Faithful

To get to the other side?
Dave_LF

2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful

Definitely not the only one. I've seen speculation that it is because of Trump's witness intimidation, that it is to help ensure security for the jurors by getting it done before there is a chance to mount protest, and/or that it is because of the earlier clusterfuck of apparently filing the case early. It could be any or all of the reasons. Or none of them.