Satire about Mr. Trump buying Narnia from Middle-earth

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I don't know what Discworld is.
I find that incredibly disrespectful to the late Sir Terry Pratchett.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I wonder what satirical websites/publications/TV shows are going to do for humour when Trump is no longer president?

He certainly has provided them with a seemingly endless stream of material!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sunsilver wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I don't know what Discworld is.
I find that incredibly disrespectful to the late Sir Terry Pratchett.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I actually was perfectly serious. I'm not sure which I find more astonishing, that someone would think that any reasoning person that would have even a passing interest on Tolkien and/or Lewis would read that satirical article and believe that it was seriously suggesting that Narnia was a part of Middle-earth, or that anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy literature would never have heard of Discworld. And I speak as someone who is well known as not being a big fan of Pratchett's work

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Indeed, the fact that Narnia is not a part of Middle-earth is the point of the satire. Denmark could no more sell Greenland to the U.S. than Middle-earth could sell Narnia to the U.S., as the following article explains (and as Denmark's PM tried to explain to Mr. Trump.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ark-227859

As the article points out, this is not 1917, the last time there was a purchase of a sovereign territory (ironically when the U.S. purchased the Virgin Islands from Denmark). Greenland is an autonomous region that has the right to determine its own fate. Mr. Trump's failure to understand that and his willingness to consider the citizens of Greenland as no more than pawns to his latest whim (and yes, I know that Sen. Tom Cotton claims to have suggested the ridiculous idea to Mr Trump) is as good a metaphor for his perspective as anything I can think of. I'm a lot more offended at that than either this gentle satire or the unfortunate ignorance about what is widely considered to be one of the greatest works of fantasy of the latter Part of the 20th century.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Furthermore, what Trump says & does is of far more consequence to far more people. The largest army on earth must answer to his erratic whims as does the FBI and CIA. The Senate should be a check on him, but they are not doing their job. As Sunsilver said, it's either laugh or cry. Frankly, if we are mixing fantasy with .. whatever it is we have for politics these days.. I'd compare Trump to 'chaos is a ladder' Peter Baelish (Game of Thrones). I doubt George R.R. Martin would be offended.

Oh, where is Arya?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Cerin wrote: I don't know what Discworld is.
Ah. Well, I'm going to go out on a huge limb and suspect you wouldn't like it. 'tis a silly place.

What about Vonnegut's works? How do you feel about those?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Voronwë wrote:I actually was perfectly serious. I'm not sure which I find more astonishing, that someone would think that any reasoning person that would have even a passing interest on Tolkien and/or Lewis would read that satirical article and believe that it was seriously suggesting that Narnia was a part of Middle-earth, or that anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy literature would never have heard of Discworld. And I speak as someone who is well known as not being a big fan of Pratchett's work
Scolding someone for not having heard about Discworld seems wrong to me. People on this board are always quoting Pratchett, but on the whole board, not including this thread, "Discworld" has only been mentioned 81 times spread over 13 years. And just saying the word doesn't mean that someone will be curious enough to follow up on that and find out what it is.

You might as well scold people for not knowing what the Ringworld is. Or not being familiar with the Vorkosigan series. Or not having the faintest idea of what a flat cat might be. Or a sand worm.

Pratchett's work is not the equivalent of Tolkien's or Lewis'.
Last edited by Maria on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I actually was perfectly serious. I'm not sure which I find more astonishing, that someone would think that any reasoning person that would have even a passing interest on Tolkien and/or Lewis would read that satirical article and believe that it was seriously suggesting that Narnia was a part of Middle-earth, or that anyone with even a passing interest in fantasy literature would never have heard of Discworld. And I speak as someone who is well known as not being a big fan of Pratchett's work
You have misunderstood completely. My concern was that people who were NOT familiar with Tolkien/Lewis would read the satire and come away with the notion that there was a connection between Narnia and Middle Earth -- because there is a connection between the two countries they were representing in the satire, NOT because the satirist was seriously suggesting it.

I do not have even a passing interest in fantasy literature as a genre.

So to review, your astonishment is based on two ideas that exist only in your own mind. You have astonished yourself. Congratulations.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Look, let's all just agree that everyone everywhere is being disrespectful towards everyone any time they are trying to communicate anything to anyone ever, ok?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This has got to be about the most silly and boring argument I've ever seen. And I have a 5 year old.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin, I understood what you were saying perfectly well. I just don't think that it is remotely a significant concern.

yov, all we can do is keep trying. I will keep trying to the best of my limited abilities.

Dave, I feel disrespected by that. ;)
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:Look, let's all just agree that everyone everywhere is being disrespectful towards everyone any time they are trying to communicate anything to anyone ever, ok?
I can't agree with that.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists