Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Impeachment

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It seems this was (at the least) the second such quid pro quo extortion with Ukraine so I think that is going to be a problem unless they can get away with 'Door #3' option. But then.. Republicans will be fine with Democratic presidents doing the same thing, I'm sure.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

They can largely ignore it when it is just words on paper. But when these things start getting stated live on national TV, people will be paying attention.

Or so I think. I could be wrong. It's happened before!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Going back to Parnas, his lawyer explicitly stated that the reason Parnas decided to cooperate was that he was pissed off at Trump saying that he didn't know him.

https://www.salon.com/2019/11/05/giulia ... r-snub/amp
Bondy told The New York Times that Parnas’ change of heart came after Trump claimed that he did not know him.

“I don’t know them. I don’t know about them,” Trump repeated to reporters after the pair's arrest. "I don’t know what they do."

That was apparently the tipping point for the failed businessman, who worked to ingratiate himself to Trump and his inner circle. Parnas has been a regular at Trump’s DC hotel and was photographed alongside Trump at multiple events. He allegedly donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Trump and other Republicans and used his access to Giuliani and the Trump administration for profit.

Bondy told the Washington Post that there was no denying that Trump was very familiar with Parnas.

"Any sentient being looking at the public record of the President and Parnas together — during intimate dinners, waving to each other at rallies, taking pictures together and of Parnas's alleged involvement with the president's lawyer, Rudy Giuliani,” he said, “could divine that the president and Parnas knew each other.

“Mr. Parnas was very upset by President Trump’s plainly false statement that he did not know him,” Bondy told The Times.
Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Lev's new attorney, Joseph A. Bondy, is a criminal defense and cannabis business attorney. Interesting. I've said it before, none will turn so hard as those who feel personally betrayed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Public hearings are scheduled to begin next Wednesday, with Ambassador Taylor and another State Department official George Kent scheduled to testify that day. Ambassador Yovanovitch is scheduled to testify Friday.

Apparently the transcript from Ambassador Taylor's deposition will be released later today.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... eres-no-l/
Sen. Rand Paul is threatening to name the government employee who complained about President Trump’s phone call with the Ukrainian president.
:nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, what he is threatening to do is name who he thinks is the whistleblower, based on speculation in rightwing media. He and they don't actually know. They might be right, but they might not be.

(I'm going to move this to the impeachment thread.)

elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Actually, what he is threatening to do is name who he thinks is the whistleblower, based on speculation in rightwing media. He and they don't actually know. They might be right, but they might not be.

(I'm going to move this to the impeachment thread.)

But whether they are or are not, they will be put at serious personal risk. But Republicans don't seem to care so long as it gets them someone to sacrifice to the alter of TrumpNoCollusionWitchHuntRussiaHoaxIllegalImpeachment!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I thought I'd seen a name tossed out there already. What is the matter with these people? Especially at this point?
elengil wrote:someone to sacrifice to the alter of TrumpNoCollusionWitchHuntRussiaHoaxIllegalImpeachment!
Yup. :nono:
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Why all the posturing? Why don't they just do it?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote:Why all the posturing? Why don't they just do it?
Because the posturing is the point.

The sit-in demanding to be allowed in when a dozen of the sit-iners were allowed in - was the point.
The claiming all this to be unfair to the minority party when they were the ones who enacted the current rules - is the point
The attack on the process despite nothing being wrong with the process - is the point.
The point isn't to be logical and sensible and do their jobs. The point is to complain loudly enough about absolutely anything and everything, threaten witnesses, stonewall procedures, claim hypocrisies right and left, because it's a TV show and they're in it for the ratings, because that's how they'll get re-elected.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Yes. And the point is to do everything possible to distract from the actual facts, which are actually damning.
Voronwë the Faithful

The House Democrats have withdrawn their subpoena to Kupperman and asked that his suit be dismissed. Tomorrow is the day they had requested that Bolton testify, though so far as I know they have not issued a subpoena. I wonder if they will, or if they have given up on getting his testimony.

Voronwë the Faithful

Lindsey Graham has come up with a new defense for Trump. Apparently, the Trump administration is too inept to have come up with a quid pro quo, so therefore the impeachment is bull.

The mind boggles.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um, if they're that stupid they really just shouldn't be allowed to continue...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The Twitter Tyrant war room is scouring the the filth on QAnon and the like in an attempt to get dirt to publish on Lt. Col. Vindman. You know.. pedophile pizza place conspiracy sort of stuff. Really.. this is what they have to 'defend' themselves? Pathetic.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile Rudy Giuliani tweeted today
@RudyGiuliani
The investigation I conducted concerning 2016 Ukrainian collusion and corruption, was done solely as a defense attorney to defend my client against false charges, that kept changing as one after another were disproven
So. Many. Questions.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Nutter. All of these 'characters' from Giuliani to Trump, including Stone and Igor and all the others makes me think this is a publicity stunt for 'Thanksgiving with the Fockers'.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Nope. This is democracy in action.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!