Impeachment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Impeachment

Post by yovargas »

My money remains on "it changes nothing".
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Ken Starr is saying that there is now proof that Trump has committed, among other things, bribery.

We'll see what happens next. Maybe there will be some loosening in the GOP ranks or maybe they'll continue to follow the likes of Nunes and Jordan in hollering and screaming about random conspiracy theories not a single witness has been able or willing to entertain.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Sondland goes John Dean on Trump, throws him and Guilani under the bus:

https://secondnexus.com/news/gordon-son ... 4YTgwijUZo
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:Ken Starr is saying that there is now proof that Trump has committed, among other things, bribery.
Really? I had not seen that. Not that I think that even that will make any difference.

Sondland is very far from a perfect witness.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Did a quick Google of "Ken starr bribery" and it sounds like the bribery quote was taken out of context. He is not claiming that.
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

But he did call it a "bombshell day" and that "Sondland's testimony doesn't look good for the President substantively."

X-posted with Rose.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The army has placed Vindman and his family under 24-hour protection due to threats made against them by Donald Trump (on Twitter, of course). Yup, that's where we are now.
https://twitter.com/ADLWashCounsel/stat ... 18051?s=20
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Hmm, had to google a bit on that one to find anything about it (usually a good sign it might not be credible) and it looks like that is a misleading, inflammatory headline. The story just seems to be that, due to the increase in attention he's getting, the Army is now providing Vindman with security assistance, which doesn't sound all that remarkable.

Army providing security assistance to Vindman
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The army announced yesterday prior to Vindman's testimony that they would be providing security to Vindman & family, including the possible moving the family to a base if necessary, as they would for any soldier & their family under threat.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sondland also testified today that he and his family are receiving threats and that while he was testifying there were protesters at his hotels.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And yet the Commander-in-Chief continues to stoke anger and violence with his whiny tweeting. His attacks on the witnesses are disgusting. He has absolutely no dignity or self-control.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And yet I would still say the original headline is spinning something relatively ordinary. Kavanaugh got threats too. It sucks but this kind of thing happens to anyone in a public controversy, there's no need to spin it as more than that.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Actually, yov, you have that completely backwards. It was not Kavanaugh that was receiving incessant death threats but rather it was the person who dared to testify about him that received incessant death threats, to the extent that she was unable to return to her home for many months after the hearing.

Kavanaugh Accuser Christine Blasey Ford Continues Receiving Threats, Lawyers Say
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

They both received threats, which kinda proves my point.

Kavanaugh and his family getting threats

Which is terrible but should not be surprising to anyone aware of this type of thing these days.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Sondland gets the big headlines, but the other important testimony today was from Defence Department official Laura Cooper, who confirmed that contrary to the GOP narrative, the Ukrainians knew about the hols on the military aid on July 25 when Trump had his phone call with Zelensky and asked him to work with Giuliani and Barr to investigate Biden.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:And yet I would still say the original headline is spinning something relatively ordinary.
Agreed.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Sondland gets the big headlines, but the other important testimony today was from Defence Department official Laura Cooper, who confirmed that contrary to the GOP narrative, the Ukrainians knew about the hols on the military aid on July 25 when Trump had his phone call with Zelensky and asked him to work with Giuliani and Barr to investigate Biden.
The abuse of power seems clear (to me) especially when one considers the removal of regular staff members at the OMB which were (unusually and possibly illegally) replaced with a Trump appointee so as to achieve the hold on aid.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sondland is very far from a perfect witness.

How do you mean?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Generally, you don't want your star witness to change his core story three times. Or to have a collection of "I don't recalls" from his deposition that is several pages long. Or who is clearly shading the truth in order to limit his own culpability.