2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by elengil »

*uncontrollable eye twitching*
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Meanwhile, N.E.B. had asked about this a while back.

Florida investigating third-party candidate who ran for state Senate

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This is a cool list showing some of the more interesting results of downballot races and initiatives in every state (and D.C. and Puerto Rico).

One thing not on that list that came to my attention is that Trump's margin of victory in Kentucky, while still a blowout, shrank by almost four points since 2016, much more than the leftward shift in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin -- and yet you don't see Republicans complaining that the vote in Kentucky was rigged.

Of the 12 states to certify their ballots so far (DE, WY, OK, SC, SD, VT, ND, FL, LA, KY, NH, and GA), the only one to move in Trump's favor from 2016 is Florida.

Given that Trump won Florida in 2016 by more than he won Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or Michigan, I think this shows his 2020 campaign focused their efforts on the wrong state.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here's the new statement from Michigan's Republican legislative leaders who met with President Trump today.

Sounds like good news: they say that they pressed him for more Covid-19 aid to Michigan and that as regards the election, they have yet to see any evidence of election fraud, that there's no reason for the legislature to involve itself in the certification process, and that the presidential candidate who got the most votes should get the state's electoral votes.

- - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, in the partial Wisconsin recount, the Trump campaign argued that all early in-person ballots in Dane County should be thrown out. Dane County is the location of the state capital, Madison. It is thus also where the state's supreme court is located.

Four Republican members of Wisconsin's state supreme court voted early in-person this year.
Voronwë the Faithful

Also, Georgia governor Brian Kemp, a key Trump ally, signed the certification of the Georgia election today with no drama.

That statement from the Michigan GOP lawmakers really pleased me.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Another one?

**checks article

WTF. Georgia's handling absentee ballots the same way Colorado does. Once those ballots were opened, the connection between the voter and the ballot is lost. What does Kemp think he's going to achieve?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

N.E. Brigand wrote:
Frelga wrote:Top comment:
@vitaterna wrote: @realDonaldTrump has now officially lost Atlanta more times than John B. Hood.
So what you're saying is that in a few decades, there's going to be an Army base named "Fort Trump."
At this rate, in two years ALL forts will be named Fort Trump. And the hallofirians living in the US will be arrested for being disloyal on an unsecured website.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I admit... I giggled a bit.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl: Yes. Exactly like that. :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here's a play-by-play account of the recount underway in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin.

Republican observers have filed objections to huge swaths of ballots on spurious grounds, and they seem to be most focused on ballots from the city of Milwaukee itself. The county clerk says that some of the observers are objecting to every single ballot as it is counted.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote:Here's the new statement from Michigan's Republican legislative leaders who met with President Trump today.

Sounds like good news: they say that they pressed him for more Covid-19 aid to Michigan and that as regards the election, they have yet to see any evidence of election fraud, that there's no reason for the legislature to involve itself in the certification process, and that the presidential candidate who got the most votes should get the state's electoral votes.
On the other hand, those Michigan Republicans spent pretty extravagantly at the Trump Hotel in D.C. last night, which at the very least appears unseemly.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Meanwhile in one of the two Georgia run-off elections, Republican senator Kelly Loefller claims that Jon Ossoff, the Democratic candidate in the other Georiga run-off election, is antisemitic.

Ossoff is Jewish.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E. Brigand wrote:Meanwhile in one of the two Georgia run-off elections, Republican senator Kelly Loefller claims that Jon Ossoff, the Democratic candidate in the other Georiga run-off election, is antisemitic.

Ossoff is Jewish.

:doh: :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's a real clown car.
Attachments
clown car.jpg
clown car.jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote:On the other hand, those Michigan Republicans spent pretty extravagantly at the Trump Hotel in D.C. last night, which at the very least appears unseemly.
They're up to something. I don't know what, but there's no way the gerrymandering anti-maskers in charge of the MI legislature decided overnight that they suddenly care about COVID and the law and standing up to Trump.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:
N.E. Brigand wrote:On the other hand, those Michigan Republicans spent pretty extravagantly at the Trump Hotel in D.C. last night, which at the very least appears unseemly.
They're up to something. I don't know what, but there's no way the gerrymandering anti-maskers in charge of the MI legislature decided overnight that they suddenly care about COVID and the law and standing up to Trump.
Of course they are.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave, how much influence does Snyder still have within the MI GOP? I ask because he made some comments about the situation:
Calling President Trump a “bully” who is “undermining democracy,” Michigan’s Republican former Gov. Rick Snyder says he fully expects a state board to certify on Monday that Joe Biden won the election in his state, guaranteeing that its 16 electoral votes will be in the former vice president’s column.
If he had a chat with the legislative leaders that might explain a thing or two.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I honestly don't know. Snyder was not a career politician. He was a businessman who decided to run for office, picked the GOP, served until he was term limited, and then more or less disappeared. At least from my perspective.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Of course they are.
With all due respect to both of you (and all the others, like the Daily Kos, who have said similar things), I find this to be as fact-free -- indeed, as anti-fact -- as Giuliani's rants. The facts say that before they met with Trump, they both said that they were going to follow the law and grant the electors to the candidate that one the most votes, and after they met with Trump they said the same thing, and that they had not seen anything to suggest that the election was rigged. The facts further say that they at least say that they asked Trump for more help with the pandemic. There are zero facts that suggest that they are "up to something". Now, is it possible that they will turn around and do the opposite of what they have repeatedly said that they would do? Sure. But until there are actual facts that support that I'm not going to support such an allegation. That is a very slippery slope.

Edited to add: But there are people who are "up to something" in Michigan, namely The Republican National Committee and Michigan Republican Party and failed Senate candidate John James, who are demanding that the Michigan Board of State Canvassers fail to follow the law and delay certifying the election on Monday. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp