2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by Dave_LF »

And Trump is said to be planning on leaving for Florida tomorrow morning. Moving vans have been carting stuff away for a few days now.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

There was this article in NY times - “They move presidents. They have 5 hours”.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I'm still deciding if I want to get up at 3:30 am to watch the inauguration live. On one hand, it's not like I can't watch it all a few hours later. But on the other, after following this drama so intently I wouldn't mind seeing it to the end. I'll decide later.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:I'm still deciding if I want to get up at 3:30 am to watch the inauguration live. On one hand, it's not like I can't watch it all a few hours later. But on the other, after following this drama so intently I wouldn't mind seeing it to the end. I'll decide later.
If you miss some live drama you'll regret not missing a bit if sleep for it.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump plans to leave the White house at sunrise and is giving a farewell speech for himself. Of course. As others have stated, his duties end at noon Eastern Time, as does his use of Air Force One, etc.. Requests for a military parade were turned down by the Pentagon.
Trump has asked for a "major send-off" with supporters at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, according to CNN. The early morning ceremony includes color guard, military band, 21-gun salute and red carpet
Generally the outgoing first couple welcome the incoming first couple and show them around and there is a tea, etc.. but of course, that will not take place. Ordinarily a parade and festivities for the incoming president allows the movers time to make the switch, but of course the Trumps haven't been as.. cordial and cooperative.. as previous administrations. I'm sure Joe Biden is plenty familiar with the WH, but it is quite a departure from the normal transition. Invitations to Trump's send off were sent out with the request to 'bring up to 5 guests' so they must be hoping for a crowd. Scaramuci received an invitation so he said they must be casting far & wide. Past presidents have departed Washington DC with a final helicopter lift from the White House lawn.

Anyone else celebrating?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am planning to limit my news watching to a brief check every hour or so. I just want it to go smoothly and safely. I'm not at all sanguine on either count.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It will be an odd day. Celebratory, but with the anxiousness of baited breath.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Favorite take from today by @NataniaBarron
Just remembering how after the One Ring was destroyed, they still had to fight for the Shire.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

* sigh * There is that. That battle will be long and slow, I'm afraid. I do believe that although Biden was not my preferred choice, he is the right person for the job at this time. I hope my optimism is not misplaced.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:Favorite take from today by @NataniaBarron
Just remembering how after the One Ring was destroyed, they still had to fight for the Shire.
I am reminded of last summer, when people were debating "defund the police," and someone pointed out that Frodo's only act as the Shire's mayor was to "reduce the Shirriffs to their proper functions and numbers."
elengil

Post by elengil »

CSPAN live feed for anyone who wants to watch along

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm wearing my pearls!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

So, I woke up to watch it live after all. All quiet so far. I was afraid of a repeat of the morning of 7 January, with its "I wonder how Congress is getting along with the electoral votes and WHAT..." but it looks surprisingly normal. Except for the masks and empty mall, it looks more or less what anyone could have predicted for Inauguration Day 2021 four years ago, including having Joe Biden about to take the oath. Good to see Pence there after all. Down to the last twenty minutes of the Trump Presidency!

ETA: Just saw Lady Gaga's anthem. There's no doubt the absence of the crowd takes away some of the impact of the ceremony, but she's lit up Twitter - virtual cheering for a socially-distant inauguration. Weather is nice and clear. Saw Kamala Harris get sworn in. Apparently she was wearing purple in honour of the first female presidential candidate, Shirley Chisholm, although I'm not sure of the connection. There was a bit of weight to "enemies foreign and domestic" which hasn't been there in any previous oaths I've watched. Biden taking the office now.
Last edited by Túrin Turambar on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I'm going to be just the teensiest paranoid until it's actually done and over.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trump flew off in a helicopter.

I am still not sanguine.

Meanwhile this hot take from the Telegraph.
20210120_084509.jpg
20210120_084509.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 2476 times

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

And that's it, the band is playing Hail to the Chief for President Biden.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Trump flew off in a helicopter.

I am still not sanguine.

Meanwhile this hot take from the Telegraph.
20210120_084509.jpg
:neutral: :? :suspicious:
Is... is that how that works??
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think it's worth highlighting that Trump is leaving the presidency with the lowest popularity ratings in over 3 years. His approval rating, which stayed a shockingly steady 41-43ish percent thorough out everything, are currently down to 38%. Which doesn't seem like a lot but it does seem to indicate that around 5% of his seemingly unmovable supporters decided that the events of this month finally went too far.

Goodbye, Mr. T****. You will not be missed.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

And it's noon. That's that.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is it safe to relax now?