2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A lot of people are throwing around this statistic: 71% of precincts in Detroit can't reconcile their count.

That doesn't mean that 71% of the votes are invalid.

It means that in 71% of the polling locations, the total doesn't quite match. But that could mean being as little as just one vote off, e.g., your list says that 1,000 votes were cast in your precinct, but you only have 999 ballots.

And in total across the city, we're talking about being off by 400 votes.

Out of 250,000 cast in Detroit.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

N.E. Brigand wrote:Actual Washington Post headline this evening, and it's a news article not an opinion piece:

"Trump uses power of presidency to try to overturn the election."
If it were to appear in some alt-right media it might change some attitudes, but it's appearing in real media ('fake news' media) so no matter how truthful or how well supported with evidence, it will serve only to entrench existing positions.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Deleted post - found out the quote is fake!

Damn, you just can't be too careful these days! It was supposedly a quote from Ch. 45 of The Art of the Deal, which would explain exactly what Trump is doing in challenging the election results!

It was posted by someone I really trust, so I didn't bother fact-checking it. Thank goodness someone did!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... M9IdELkF04
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver wrote:Deleted post - found out the quote is fake!

Damn, you just can't be too careful these days! It was supposedly a quote from Ch. 45 of The Art of the Deal, which would explain exactly what Trump is doing in challenging the election results!

It was posted by someone I really trust, so I didn't bother fact-checking it. Thank goodness someone did!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump ... M9IdELkF04
Good for you for checking and making the correction.

One further point is that The Art of the Deal was ghostwritten by Tony Schwartz (who has apologized more than once for his part in convincing America that Donald Turmp was some sort of great businessman) so that any quote taken from the book might not actually be Trump's words anyway.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

SO glad I caught it! I also posted it on a site where a number of Trump fans hang out, and it would have been very embarrassing and destroyed my credibility if I hadn't caught it in time!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1329490975266398210?s=19

The official Twitter of the RNC.
"We will not be intimidated...We are going to clean this mess up now. President Trump won by a landslide. We are going to prove it. And we are going to reclaim the United States of America for the people who vote for freedom."—Sidney Powell
Dear Lord, they really are trying to start a civil war.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The difference between Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani is that she should know better. She is actually the scarier of the two.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not about the individual, it's about the GOP giving them legitimacy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

That moment when these are three of the men you're relying on to save your country's a$$:
Hidden text.
dotdotdot.png
dotdotdot.png (153.92 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So apparently the evidence of fraud of Michigan includes an affidavit listing townships in Minnesota. Michigan, Minnesota...only those coastal globalist elites would care about keeping the two straight. Real Americans(tm) don't care about which states they're actually in, amirite? It's like how Arizona and New Mexico are totes the same! :roll:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote:So apparently the evidence of fraud of Michigan includes an affidavit listing townships in Minnesota. Michigan, Minnesota...only those coastal globalist elites would care about keeping the two straight. Real Americans(tm) don't care about which states they're actually in, amirite? It's like how Arizona and New Mexico are totes the same! :roll:
Hey, that's an idea! Instead of making new states, maybe we start removing a few old ones - combine all those uber-low population states to help balance things out. Nobody lives in Wyoming anyway, right? Maybe Montayoming? Nebraskas? Arklahoma? Just keep merging them until the populations balance out.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There are enough people living in Wyoming to keep fireworks stands open. :P
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

From a Constitutional Law prof at the University of Michigan come some excellent points:
https://t.co/CgK7HDwoZ5?amp=1

tl;dr: A major excuse given for not convicting Trump after he was impeached was that it should be left to the voters to remove him. But this was always dangerous given that election interference was what he was being accused of in the first place, and given that it should have been obvious that if he was willing to break the law to get there, he'd certainly be willing to break it even harder to stay.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's all well and good, but he never was going to be removed through impeachment. It was always going to be an exercise in futility. And, of course, the same senators that were too afraid of Trump to even vote for allowing witnesses at his impeachment trial are complicit in his actions now.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That's all well and good, but he never was going to be removed through impeachment. It was always going to be an exercise in futility. And, of course, the same senators that were too afraid of Trump to even vote for allowing witnesses at his impeachment trial are complicit in his actions now.
I find those senators even more repulsive because they know better & they did it anyway. Greed. Power. Malice.. a combination of all that & more I don't know, but definitely not patriotic or in good character.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

He waited until almost the last second allowed by state law, but the GA SoS has certified his state's results with Biden winning by 12K. Trump is still allowed to request a machine recount at taxpayer expense, and no doubt will.

So. Anyone want to take bets on who's getting fired tonight?

Edit: Part 2 isn't connected to part 1--Friday night is just when Trump likes to fire people over Twitter.
Last edited by Dave_LF on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The SoS of Georgia is elected so Trump will have to take it out on his own people.

In other news, Giuliani's son tested positive for COVID today so Trump's new favorite legal team is heading into isolation.

Masks and distance only work when they are used.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Top comment:
@vitaterna wrote: @realDonaldTrump has now officially lost Atlanta more times than John B. Hood.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Nate Cohn, aghast at "complete bad faith" by Republican operatives claiming voting irregularities, today noted that "there's no way the electoral process could be reformed to guard against it going forward."

In response, a writer named Will Stancil said, basically: it was ever thus, because there can be no "technocratic" solutions to attacks by demagogues. You fight them by fighting them. And then he added something that reminds me very much of a line from The Lord of the Rings:

"When malign forces are laying siege to your government, you can build the walls as tall and strong as you want, but it’s all gonna be for naught if no one eventually mans the battlements."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:Top comment:
@vitaterna wrote: @realDonaldTrump has now officially lost Atlanta more times than John B. Hood.
So what you're saying is that in a few decades, there's going to be an Army base named "Fort Trump."