2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: 2020 Election: Predictions, Results and Reactions

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Here's a long New Yorker article from a reporter embedded in the crowd during the putsch. Sometimes they're out for bloody murder, other times they're dazed and confused.

--"I followed a group that broke off to advance on five policemen guarding a side corridor. 'Stand down,' a man in a maga hat commanded. 'You’re outnumbered. There’s a f***ing million of us out there, and we are listening to Trump—your boss.' 'We can take you out,' a man beside him warned."

--"A dozen police stood in a hallway softly lit by ornate chandeliers, mutely watching the rioters—many of them wearing Trump gear or carrying Trump flags—flood into the building. Their cries resonated through colonnaded rooms: 'Where’s the traitors?' 'Bring them out!' 'Get these f***ing c******king Commies out!'"

--As the "QAnon Shaman" Jacob Chansley was sitting on the Senate dais, a Capitol police officer was there gently encouraging the rioters to leave. "A skinny man in dark clothes told the officer, 'This is so weird—like, you should be stopping us.' The officer pointed at each person in the chamber: 'One, two, three, four, five.' Then he pointed at himself: 'One.' After Chansley had his photographs, the officer said, 'Now that you’ve done that, can I get you guys to walk out of this room, please?'" But before Chansley left, he wrote something on a piece of paper on the dais: "It's only a matter of time. Justice is coming."

--"At one point, I watched a man with a long beard and a Pittsburgh Pirates hat facing off against several policemen on the main floor of the Capitol. 'I will not let this country be taken over by globalist communist scum!' he yelled, hoarse and shaking. 'They want us all to be slaves! Everybody’s seen the documentation—it’s out in the open!' He could not comprehend why the officers would want to interfere in such a virtuous uprising. 'You know what’s right,' he told them. Then he gestured vaguely at the rest of the rampaging mob. 'Just like these people know what’s right.'"

About half the piece describes the reporter's earlier experiences watching the Proud Boys and others in protests in November and December in D.C. and elsewhere. A big takeaway is how central antisemitism and other forms of racism and bigotry are to these movements. One example: n January 6, the author noticed a member of the Proud Boys who "flashed the “O.K.” sign and shouted, 'F*** George Floyd! F*** Breonna Taylor! F*** them all!' He seemed overcome with emotion, as if at last giving expression to a sentiment that he had long suppressed."

Also, the reporter notes that January 6 was far from the first time these right-wing groups had abandoned their putative respect for law enforcement. "In Michigan, I saw anti-lockdown protesters ridicule officers enforcing covid-19 restrictions as 'Gestapo' and 'filthy rats.' When police cordoned off Black Lives Matter Plaza, Proud Boys called them 'communists,' 'c***s,' and 'pieces of s***.'"

Some irony here. Also a Lord of the Rings reference if you want to think of it that way:

--"As we passed through the central doors, a sergeant with a shaved head said, 'Appreciate you being peaceful.' His uniform was half untucked and missing buttons, and his necktie was ripped and crooked. Beside him, another officer, who had been sprayed with a fire extinguisher, looked as if a sack of flour had been emptied on him."

I'll conclude with this:

"Later, I listened to a woman talking on her cell phone. 'We need to come back with guns,' she said. 'One time with guns, and then we’ll never have to do this again.'"
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

People have been named, GOP reps all...CCTV cameras don't lie!
Attachments
Washington riots recon.jpg
Washington riots recon.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

It's quite possible that some of these Representatives thought they were just showing constituents around. And I'm sure some of them will claim that!

Looking back at Mike Lindell's visit to the White House today, to which he arrived with notes describing a new way for Trump to coup his way to a second term, one item on there was appointing Kash Patel as the acting CIA chief. Axios reports that Trump tried in December to install Patel as deputy to CIA director Gina Haspell, but she threatened to resign if that happened.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sounds about right
one_twenty.png
one_twenty.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

It's quite possible that some of these Representatives thought they were just showing constituents around. And I'm sure some of them will claim that!
And that's why they will have to sub-peony the e-mails and social media accounts of those involved, to get proof they DID know what was being planned for the next day.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Axios has new reporting on how Trump was planning post-election chaos starting in at least October. He was well aware that there would be an election-night "red mirage" in which he appeared for a time to be leading, and he explicitly talked with current and former aides, like Reince Priebus, about how he would go on TV and declare victory that night, during prime time if possible. That way there would be even more doubt and dissension among the American public than we currently have.

But then Fox called Arizona early. And the Trump team spent hours trying and failing to get the network to retract before Trump finally gave a watered-down victory speech in the wee hours.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Major plot twist in the November episode: Fox News saves democracy.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Sunsilver wrote:And that's why they will have to sub-peony the e-mails ...
download.jpg
download.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
:D
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maria: LOL! :rotfl:

N.E. The reporting in the Axios article about Trump's actions on election night is just freakin' chilling. What a corrupt manipulator. Makes me angry. He doesn't need to shoot anyone on 5th Ave, he's groomed his 'fans' to do it for him. In the Capitol.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Maria: LOL! :rotfl:

N.E. The reporting in the Axios article about Trump's actions on election night is just freakin' chilling. What a corrupt manipulator. Makes me angry. He doesn't need to shoot anyone on 5th Ave, he's groomed his 'fans' to do it for him. In the Capitol.

Klue Klux Klan. It was T****, in the capital, with the seditious mob.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

They still haven't caught some of the most dangerous people involved in the insurrection, like the guy who left the pipe bombs outside the DNC and the RNC -- which some law enforcement officials seem to believe was meant as a distraction to draw police away from the Capitol.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Yup. It's just been a bunch of Stan Shunpikes so far. The Lestranges and Greybacks are still out there.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Maria wrote:
download.jpg
Y'know, the damn spellchecker said 'subpeona / subpeoney was incorrect, so I chose that as an alternative, though it didn't look quite right. What the heck IS the correct spelling for the verb? :x It's not something I use frequently! :?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Its the same word as a noun or a verb. Subpoena.

ETA: E.g.:

Donald Trump was served today with a subpoena for records by Adam Schiff.

Adam Schiff is going to subpoena Donald Trump for records.

Adam Schiff has subpoenaed Donald Trump for records.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Ah, I had the vowels reversed! THAT'S what the problem was! :blackeye:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Its the same word as a noun or a verb. Subpoena.

ETA: E.g.:

Donald Trump was served today with a subpoena for records by Adam Schiff.

Adam Schiff is going to subpoena Donald Trump for records.

Adam Schiff has subpoenaed Donald Trump for records.
Just be very, very careful of your pronunciation when you use the present 3rd person singular.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Maria wrote:
download.jpg
I use cages. And clip some to bring inside.

Oh. We're talking about subpoenas. I think the best course of action there is to live your life in such a way you don't receive one. Failing at that...lawyer up.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

This is the most comprehensive record of what happened on January 6.

https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I'm at 3pm inside. 3-4 guys talking to a (lone) cop, trying to convince him to let them through a specific doorway and up stairs. One of the guys keeps flashing the white power hand sign. Not sure if they're trying to gauge if the cop is on 'their' side, or intimidate a possible minority officer. It's so subtly evil. :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

At 4:45 the African-American man is truly terrifying.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk