Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Nature Pics

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elen even felt the need to say it twice. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's bizarre! I certainly didn't make two attempts to post...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I appreciate the thought.

Well, I appreciate the thought.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Now, now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Queen Street Gardens is a "private" garden in Edinburgh - which means that you can apply for a key to it only if you live in the designated area (a very posh neighbourhood in the New Town). When I actually lived here I would peep over the gate between the trees and admire its tranquil beauty, but never had a chance to actually go in.

Until now. I actually chose the flat I'm renting for the fact that it has access to Queen Street Gardens - it's on Dublin Street, just around the corner from the actual gardens.

And, just in case you never get the chance to visit them, I'm giving you the vicarious opportunity to enjoy them as well.

I created a whole album for it in my flickr account: link to album (14 pictures)

(Let me know if that link doesn't work)

Here's the view from outside that I had to be contented with for so many years:

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Lovely - I'd be so frustrated if I could only peer over the gate and never be able to go in! I guess in another month there'll be more colour... I suppose it's hardly surprising we're further into Spring down on the south coast! My garden is starting to look beautiful with all the snowdrops, crocuses and early narcissus coming into bloom...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That looks very nice! :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I made an extra post on the TORC365 blog: Ducks, geese, swans, and even a dove in Blackford Pond, Edinburgh. There are also a couple of nice shots from the top of Blackford Hill.

Trivia note: my mom was once attacked by a swan in Blackford Pond. Don't let their stunning good looks and casual grace fool you: swans are all bastards =:)

(In case you're wondering, my mom was fine)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Glad to hear it! Though I've always thought it was the geese that were, er, illegitimate.

And wild turkeys can be tiresome when they must flock in the Safeway parking lot.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We just got back from a vacation in northern California. That's me waving in the picture. Even if you could zoom in on the original 3.5 MB photo, my face pixilates out before you can tell it is me.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:) :) :) :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What a great way to make the scale of those trees clear!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We took hundreds of pictures trying to show the scale, but this one is the best. My husband spotted the opportunity watching some hikers ahead of us further down on a switchback. He asked me to go down there and got me to stop right between those two big ones while he took a few pictures from slightly different angles.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Maria, those trees are so majestic! You look quite hobbit-like amongst them. :)

Jude, the gardens are very beautiful and tranquil. The images are, hm, not exactly misty, but muted. Is that a quality of the light in Edinburgh, or just the weather of the day?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

They were taken in the very early spring - I would guess it would be because of the weather of the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'll post some here if I figure out how, but anyone on Instagram should check out stationcdrkelly (Mark Kelly), the American astronaut who is in the middle of spending a full year on the International Space Station. He's publishing a series of photos taken from space, and one series, hashtag #EarthArt, is vivid color photos of Earth landscapes taken directly from above that look like beautiful abstract paintings rioting with color. They are just astonishing. I have never seen anything like them anywhere.

These aren't space art; they are pictures of Earth. Just from a previously impossible angle.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Gee, Prim, at list post a link, eh? :)

https://instagram.com/stationcdrkelly/?hl=en

Fascinatingly, some of them look like microscopic pics of some organic thing or another.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (90.02 KiB) Viewed 12235 times
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sheesh, yov, you are so demanding! :x

Thanks for posting an example. There are others that are more easily identifiable for what they are, but they're all beautiful.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I checked out the link - they are awesome...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude