Planet Earth; now updated with marvellous polar bear footage

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Democritus

Planet Earth; now updated with marvellous polar bear footage

Post by Democritus »

All hail the BBC and their Natural History Unit for the greatest wildlife series ever made. It could not have come at a better time and not only has the series been phenomenal (5 years in the making) but the editing, marketing and promotion has been phenomenal as well.

Kudos also for filming the series in HDTV and putting it out on BBC1 and BBC2 on HDTV as well. This series justifies the license fee in one foul swoop. Look out for it in the US when it comes out on Discovery.

To give you a taste of what the series has on offer, here is a YouTube montage that also includes the wonderful theme song that the series has been using. Just a pity that the definition on Youtube cannot do justify to seeing this in HDTV on a widescreen television.

Edit

Okay, super-cute awwwww factor x 10... this time starring a polar bear and cubs. Bearing in mind what they show happening to another polar bear later on I think we can definitely indulge this kind of unique footage.

"Sacred cows make the best barbecue"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Kewl. 8) Thanks for posting that, Demo.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its true Demo. When the BBC are at their best, nobody can touch them. In fact they have seriously outstripped National Geographic at this stage, who seem now to be more interested in dodgy Pyramid theories. The last few times I watched a NG show, they insisted on recapping the whole show after every ad break. As a result a 1 hour show only had about 25 minuytes of actual material in it. Extremely frustrating.

Of course Jacques Cousteau and his sons opened up the world beneath the waves for us, but Blue Planet built on his work in a startling fashion, and the documentary styled Walking With Dinosaurs and Walking With Beast married the latest CGI to scholarly study in an accessible and entertaining way.

I look forward to seeing this latest series.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
willowing

Post by willowing »

Well the U-tube video is gone and since this thread was posted in 2006, I am sure that the polar bear's surroundings that was documented in this documentary is far different now.

It is now 2012 and the melting ice in the Artic Region is causing widespread concern because of its effect on the inhabitants(both man and beast) that live in this region. :cry: