Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth

Post by Sassafras »

It has been suggested by my dear friend Voronwë, :love: who also sent me a copy of Morgoth’s Ring, that I put down a few early and very preliminary thoughts on this amazing, absorbing and wondrous work about the conversation between Finrod Felagund and Andreth, a wise woman. I can’t possibly hope to do justice to it’s themes having only (thus far) read it twice … I believe one could spend vast amounts of time lost in the subtleties here.

In the most simple terms, I perceive this to be primarily a metaphysical conversation about Tolkien’s controversial concept of Death as a Gift. Finrod listen while Andreth bitterly expounds on the fact that Men must die after such short lives while Elves are near immortal. Finrod explains the difference as this; that Men have a shadow behind them but Elves have a shadow before them. That even though Men are guests in the house of Arda they can, and will, depart on to life everlasting (the shadow behind) the Eldar are tied to the history of Arda … when it ends, as end it must, then they will cease to Be. (the shadow before)

There is also this thought spoken by Andreth in which she tells of the old legends. And from the ensuing discussion, contemplation on the two natures of hope: The human way of Amdir or ‘looking up’ and the Elvish hope in it’s purest and most sacred form, Estel or ‘trust‘. A trust which requires, no, demands, faith concludes with a thinly veiled affirmation, a belief which no doubt requires Estel ... the belief in divine incarnation and redemption

They say,’ answered Andreth: ‘they say that the One will himself enter into Arda, and heal Men and all the Marring from the beginning to the end….’

Isn’t this a continuation of the Ainulinde?

Never since have the Ainur made any music like to this music, though it has been said that a greater still shall be made before Ilúvatar by the choirs of the Ainur and the Children of Ilúvatar after the end of days.

My impression is that this thinly veiled messianic hope is the closest Tolkien ever comes to Christian dogma. For Eru must solve the paradox of remaining outside Arda whilst simultaneously entering Arda in order to heal the marring.

Likely as not I’ve neglected many themes in this most powerful work but I can’t leave without a final comment upon this reader’s discovery of the cause for Andreth’s extreme bitterness. It was a revelation to me and I found it deeply, deeply moving.

Across the gulf that divides our kindreds!’ said Andreth, Is there no bridge but mere words? And she wept again.

And then this incredibly poignant moment which literally gave me chills …

'For the doom of Men that has touched thee as a woman, said Finrod. Dost thou think that I do not know? Is he not my brother dearly loved? Aegnor. Aikanar, the Sharp-flame, swift and eager. And not long are the years since you first met, and your hands touched in the darkness. Yet then thou wert a maiden, brave and eager, in the morning upon the high hills of Dorthonion'.

‘Say on! Said Andreth. Say: who art now but a wise-woman, alone, and age that shall not touch him has already set a winter’s grey in thy hair! But say not thou to me, for so he once did!’

The tragedy of her mortal love for an immortal elf who, unbeknownst to her, loved her in his turn yet could not fulfill that love because war was upon the land and Elves do not marry in times of war … and so, Aegnor regretfully turns away from Andreth and turns towards his duty.

And she says to Finrod:

Will he be there? Bright and tall with the wind in his hair? Tell him. Tell him not to be reckless. Not to seek danger beyond need’

I found myself so touched by this disclosure of Andreth’s incompleted love and it altered my perception of her increasing bitterness through the conversation … and how Finrod knew and how it tempered and softened his understanding of her railing against the fates, as what she saw as an unequal disparity between Atani and Quendi … and how, at the very end, he leaves her with this final hope …

'But you are not for Arda. Wither you may go may you find light. Await us there, my brother-- and me.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Of all Tolkiens' works, this without a doubt, is the one that touches me the most deeply. I can always count on shedding a few bittersweet tears at the end.......always.

Thank-you, dear Sass, for starting this thread. Your initial thoughts are a wonderful beginning to what I anticipate will be a most illuminating discussion. :love:

I WILL be back! :horse:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sounds great - I think I've heard about this text - for the not so well read here, could you give the source of the text, so we - or, let's be honest, I :blackeye: ;) - can read it? :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

It's from volume 10 of HoME, Hobby. Morgoth's Ring.

You MUST get hold of a copy and read the Athrabeth. It is most compelling and very beautiful.

Ath .... :love:

I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thank you, dear Sassy. As you know I have been wanting to discuss this 'tale' (for lack of a better word) for a long time. Like Ath, I have long found it to be one of Tolkien's most moving and profound works (short though it is). I think there are a lot of layers to explore; already with your first post you've given me pause to think about things in ways that I have not considered before. As I said to you in my PM, I would expect that this discussion will find its own long winding road. There is no linear structure that can or should be imposed upon it such as in the Silmarillion discussion. I expect that we will continually come back to this thread as one person or another brings new a different insights.

I too will be back. :horse:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks, Sassy! :)

(I looked and it's over 60 pages! :shock: I have yet to re-read the new chapter for the Sil discussion! :shock: But I'll try! :D )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Hobby,

:scratch:

It's only 24 pages of text. All the remaining pages are notes.

Now get cracking, woman! :D

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful

But the notes are very interesting, too. =:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

I do not own Morgoth's Ring, unfortunately, though I have read a number of discussions concerning the Athrabeth.

One thing that struck me about these discussions was that it would be interesting to draw a comparison between the situation between Aegnor and Andreth and the situation between Aldarion and Erendis.

With Aldarion and Erendis, the separation was "merely" temporal, not dictated by separate dooms, but no less real in its effects on Erendis, who is relatively short-lived.

Is it possible that Tolkien intended these as companion pieces, one to cover the high philosophical issue of death vs. deathlessness, and one to cover the issue of living (or failing to live) within the Circles of the World constrained by the limits of mortality?

BrianIs :) AtYou

PS
I have found large quotes from the Athrabeth online, and it is very deep, and at times poetic:
'...Do candles pity moths?'

'Or moths candles, when the wind blows them out?' ...

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sass, I will come back and address some of the points that you made later, but I wanted to say this while I was thinking about. One of the things that I dearly love above the Athrabeth is that it is not written from one point of view or the other. One might think that it would be about Finrod instructing Andreth with his greater wisdom, but it is so much more then that:
'Then, lord,' said Andreth, and she looked up in wonder, 'you believe in this Hope?'

'Ask me not yet,' he answered. 'For it is still to me but strange news that comes from afar. No such hope was ever spoken to the Quendi. To you only it was sent. And yet through you we may hear it and lift up our hearts.' He paused a while, and then looking gravely at Andreth he said: 'Yes, Wise-woman, maybe it was ordained that we Quendi, and ye Atani, ere the world grows old, should meet and bring news one to another, and so we should learn of the Hope from you: ordained, indeed that thou and I, Andreth, should sit here and speak together, across the gulf that dives our kindreds, so that while the Shadow still broods in the North we should not be wholly afraid'
:love:
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Sassafras wrote:Hobby,

:scratch:

It's only 24 pages of text. All the remaining pages are notes.

Now get cracking, woman! :D
:oops:
Thanks, good to know! :D
I just looked in the index at the page number of where the chapter starts and where it ends, and it was over 60 pages.
As I don't have it in book form, that's rather a lot - but 24 is fine! I'll have a closer look at where the actual text is. :blackeye:
Voronwë the Faithful

Sassafras wrote:Andreth, a wise woman.
I love the very concept of "wise-woman" (even though Andreth herself uses it as term of self-scorn, in her bitterness).
She was wise in thought, and learned in the lore of men and their histories; for which reason the Eldar called her Saelind, 'Wise-heart'.

Of the Wise some were women, and they were greatly esteemed among Men, especially for their knowledge of the legends of ancient days. Another Wise-woman was Adanel, sister of Hador Lórindol.
There is a fragment of a tale told by Adanel Wise-woman about the Marring of men in the Notes attached to the Athrabeth which is remarkable in and of itself. But I will refrain from commenting about it further at this time.

It is no wonder the Eldar (and particularly Finrod) esteemed Andreth.
He found her more ready to impart her knowledge to him than were most of the Wise among Men. A shadow seemed to le upon them, and there was a darkness behind them, of which they were loth to speak even among themselves. And they were in awe of the Eldar and would not easily reveal to them their thought or their legends. Indeed the Wise among Men (who were few) for the most part kept their wisdom secret and handed it on only to those whom they chose.
We see here the kind of divisions that have been discussed in the Shibboleth thread. But as one of our own Wise-women (who takes her name from this tale) pointed out in that thread, Finrod himself ("the wisest of the exiled Noldor") addresses the power of language in bridging these gulfs:
But why dost though say "mere words"? Do not words overpass the gulf between one life and another? Between thee and me surely more has passed than empty sound? Have we not drawn near at all?
In the most simple terms, I perceive this to be primarily a metaphysical conversation about Tolkien’s controversial concept of Death as a Gift.
I think that is true, Sass. Christopher stated in his commentary:
The Ahtrabeth Finrod ah Andreth perhaps marks the culmination of my father’s thought on the relation of Elves and Men, in Finrod’s exalted vision of the roiginal design of Eru for Mankind; but his central purpose was to explore full for the first time the nature of ‘the Marring of Men’.
But Tolkien himself, in his own remarkable (and crucial, in my opinion, to understanding the work) Commentary on the Athrabeth, says:
Actually, though it deals with such things as death and the relations of Elves and Men to Time and Arda, and to one another, its real purpose is dramatic: to exhibit the generosity of Finrod’s mind, his love and pity for Andreth, and the tragic situations that must arise in the meeting of Elves and Men (in the ages of the youth of the Elves).
It is, first and foremost, a beautifully told Tale of love and loss, and you yourself expressly so well, Sass.
Finrod listen while Andreth bitterly expounds on the fact that Men must die after such short lives while Elves are near immortal. Finrod explains the difference as this; that Men have a shadow behind them but Elves have a shadow before them. That even though Men are guests in the house of Arda they can, and will, depart on to life everlasting (the shadow behind) the Eldar are tied to the history of Arda … when it ends, as end it must, then they will cease to Be. (the shadow before)
I’ve read this Tale many times, and I still can’t say that I have completely wrapped my brain around it. There is so much to say, that if I try to say it all at once, I will simply give up in despair (as I have already come close to doing. So I’m just going to focus on one small portion.

Andreth describes to Finrod’s amazement that Men believe that they themselves were once immortal even as the Elves were. Finrod, however, recognizes that
their ‘immortality’ cannot have been the longevity within Arda of the Elves; otherwise they would have been simply Elves, and their separate introduction later into the Drama by Eru would have no function. ...
At the center of the difference between Men and Elves is the idea that the separation of fëa and hröa (roughly but not exactly equivalent to body and soul) is not a natural condition and results not from the original design, but from the “Marring of Arda” by Melkor. The fëar of the Elves was bound to the Time of Arda. Even when they “die” of grief or wound, by the grace of the Valar they are (with certain exceptions, like Fëanor) allowed to ‘reincarnate’, rejoining fëa with hröa. The Elves, however, being bound to Arda, would then all truly die at the End of Arda. Since they knew not what this would mean, they “had a shadow before them.”

The fëar of Men, on the other hand, left Time altogether at the time of death. Finrod places a very different interpretation on the “disaster” that befell Men in their Marring then Andreth does.
He therefore guesses that it is the fear of death that is the result of the disaster [not death itself]. It is feared because it now is combined with severance of hröa and fëa. But the fëar of Men must have been designed to leave Arda willingly or indeed by desire – maybe after a longer time than the present average human life, but still in a time very short compared with Elvish lives. Then basing his argument on the axiom that severance of hröa and fëa is unnatural and contrary to design, he comes (or if you like jumps) to the conclusion that the fëa of unfallen Man would have taken with it its hröa into the new mode of existence (free from Time). In other words, that ‘assumption’ was the natural end of each human life, though as far as we know it has been the end of the only ‘unfallen’ member of Mankind.
This is a direct reference to the Virgin Mary. I believe also that there is a strong element of this thought in Aragorn’s death, and his subsequent appearance as “an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.” But I make no attempt at this time to expound further on that thought, for very of causing a cerebral explosion. ;)
There is also this thought spoken by Andreth in which she tells of the old legends. And from the ensuing discussion, contemplation on the two natures of hope: The human way of Amdir or ‘looking up’ and the Elvish hope in it’s purest and most sacred form, Estel or ‘trust‘. A trust which requires, no, demands, faith concludes with a thinly veiled affirmation, a belief which no doubt requires Estel ... the belief in divine incarnation and redemption
I’m not even going to attempt to tackle this at this time. I’ll just mention that Finrod also describes the two types of pity that Ath cited so memorably in the Jackson’s Moral Universe Thread.
pity is of two kinds: one is of kinship recognized, and is near to love; the other is of difference of fotune perceived, and is near to pride.
This too I leave for further thought and discussion.
They say,’ answered Andreth: ‘they say that the One will himself enter into Arda, and heal Men and all the Marring from the beginning to the end[/i]….’

Isn’t this a continuation of the Ainulinde?

Never since have the Ainur made any music like to this music, though it has been said that a greater still shall be made before Ilúvatar by the choirs of the Ainur and the Children of Ilúvatar after the end of days.

My impression is that this thinly veiled messianic hope is the closest Tolkien ever comes to Christian dogma. For Eru must solve the paradox of remaining outside Arda whilst simultaneously entering Arda in order to heal the marring.
Here we come to the central idea of the Athrabeth, one which I can’t claim to fully (or perhaps even partly) grasp. While I try to think it through, I’ll quote some more of Tolkien’s Commentary, in the hopes that it will provide help advance that process, if not for me perhaps for some other wiser soul, who may in turn help me understand better.
Finrod, however, sees now that, as things were, no created thing or being in Arda, or in all Ëa, was powerful enough to counteract or heal Evil: that is to subdue Melkor (in his present person, reduced though that was) and the Evil that he had dissipated and sent out from himself into the very structure of the world.

Only Eru himself could do this. Therefore, since it was unthinkable that Eru would abandon the world to the ultimate triumph and domination of Melkor (which could mean its ruin and reduction to chaos), Eru Himself must at some time come to oppose Melkor. But Eru could not enter wholly into the world and its history, which is, however great, only a finite Drama. He must as Author always remain ‘outside’ the Drama, even though that Drama depends on His design and his will for its beginning and continuance, in every detail and moment. Finrod therefore thinks that He will, when He comes, have to be both ‘outside’ and inside; and so he glimpses the possibility of complexity or of distinctions in the nature of Eru, which nonetheless leaves Him ‘The One’.

Since Finrod had already guessed that the redemptive function was originally specially assigned to Men, he probably proceeded to the expectation that ‘the coming of Eru’, if it took place, would be specially and primarily concerned with Men: that is to an imaginative guess or vision that Eru would come incarnated inhuman form. This, however, does not appear in the Athrabeth

No, it appears in the New Testament. :Q

[My mind is reeling is just from typing those paragraphs]
I can’t leave without a final comment upon this reader’s discovery of the cause for Andreth’s extreme bitterness. It was a revelation to me and I found it deeply, deeply moving.

Across the gulf that divides our kindreds!’ said Andreth, Is there no bridge but mere words? And she wept again.

And then this incredibly poignant moment which literally gave me chills …

'For the doom of Men that has touched thee as a woman, said Finrod. Dost thou think that I do not know? Is he not my brother dearly loved? Aegnor. Aikanar, the Sharp-flame, swift and eager. And not long are the years since you first met, and your hands touched in the darkness. Yet then thou wert a maiden, brave and eager, in the morning upon the high hills of Dorthonion'.

‘Say on! Said Andreth. Say: who art now but a wise-woman, alone, and age that shall not touch him has already set a winter’s grey in thy hair! But say not thou to me, for so he once did!’

The tragedy of her mortal love for an immortal elf who, unbeknownst to her, loved her in his turn yet could not fulfill that love because war was upon the land and Elves do not marry in times of war … and so, Aegnor regretfully turns away from Andreth and turns towards his duty.

And she says to Finrod:

Will he be there? Bright and tall with the wind in his hair? Tell him. Tell him not to be reckless. Not to seek danger beyond need’

I found myself so touched by this disclosure of Andreth’s incompleted love and it altered my perception of her increasing bitterness through the conversation … and how Finrod knew and how it tempered and softened his understanding of her railing against the fates, as what she saw as an unequal disparity between Atani and Quendi … and how, at the very end, he leaves her with this final hope …

'But you are not for Arda. Wither you may go may you find light. Await us there, my brother-- and me.
Thank you for sharing this, Sass. Its been long enough since I first read the Athrabeth that sense of revelation upon learning the source of Andreth’s bitterness has faded. Your words have brought back that emotion, and for that I thank you.

One thing that has always moved me is the platonic love between Finrod and Andreth, despite the history between her and his brother. It is very different then the romantic love between a man and woman; it is the love of two friends who are able to bridge the gulf between them through discourse. It is another kind of a sharing of souls, one which I feel fortunate to experience here at the Hall of Fire.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

:horse:

<continues to furiously scribble notes that will hopefully be added very soon to this excellent (and obviously mind-altering ;) ) discussion>

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Ath, take all the time you need. :)
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
It is interesting that this brings in the idea of bridges ("gesher") against the idea of shibboleth in terms of language (words) that we have been discussing in The Shibboleth of Fëanor thread.

Good reading.

I still have to pick up Morgoth's Ring sometime.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good observation, Brian. :)

And yes, you do.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

I went to the library today to pick up a copy of Morgoth's Ring, as you all have piqued my curiosity quite a bit. They didn't have it. So I went online to order it from another branch. Turns out the whole library system, in all of Boston, has ONE copy. One. And you know what happened to that copy? It went missing.

:rage:

So all I have to say is that I am reading this most excellent thread with great interest and hope to find a copy so I can join in. :)
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Voronwë the Faithful

Mossy, sometimes you can find a pretty cheap used paperback copy at some book stores (or even through Amazon).
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

V., Amazon only offers hardbound ... or at least it did when I checked a month ago.

Hopefully (!) I'll be contributing again within a day or two ... I'm trying to wrap my brain around the Fall of Man and how that influenced Admir, contrasted with Estel.

This is not an easily assimilated text. :shock:

(I believe that you can read the Athrabeth on google books ... I'll search again and see if I can find the exact instructions ... I believe only three or so pages can be read at a time ... but those pages could be printed out and then on to the next three ... and so on ...)

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful

V., Amazon only offers hardbound ... or at least it did when I checked a month ago.
The copy that I bought was through Amazon; wasn't that a paperback (though not used)?
This is not an easily assimilated text.
That's one reason I say that the Commentary and the Notes are so crucial. Tolkien knew this was not easy stuff, and very courteously shared some of his own thoughts about it.