Tolkien's Pictorial Code Letters

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

That's right, Hobby. :)

Someone better figure out how "X's" and a red dot add up to "Jack" or else I'll start to feel really, really old!

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Easy Jn.

It's a red ball and those X's are little metal thingies called jacks.

We played a version of Jacks in England called Fivestones ... only we were poor and played it with bottlecaps.

:D

Now I feel really,really old!

http://www.mastersgames.com/rules/jacks-rules.htm

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Ah, cool - thanks! :)

When I was a kid, I used to like a comic book that came with a "gimmick" each week - once there was this game consisting of five red and one white oddly shaped plastic parts - the idea was to throw one into the air and pick up the others before catching it again - it was called the "stone age game" because, they said, it was played with bones way back in the stone ages.

Not to make anyone feel old! :P :D

Jny, to think it only took you 15 minutes to come up with the ideas for the encryption! :shock: I wonder if I'd ever be able to come up with workable stuff. But I think I'll just have to try! :D
It would be fun to do a series of quotes from Tolkien all done in pictorial code.
That would be a lot of hard work - and probably not so hard to decipher, if someone knows their text well! ;) But it sounds like a great game! :D

Hmmh, I have some more ideas for the rest of the text, am just doubtful on another two things - but I'll let some others play now! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Sass, thanks!

Yes, the game is called "Jacks" in the U.S. too. You could buy a set for about $0.25 when I was a kid. Luckily I'm not old enough to have played it with bones and a rock! :rofl:

Btw, Hobby, the X's have six points sticking out in six different directions so they 'sit up' when you toss them on the ground.

Re the difficulty of coding a message ... when you see how simple the message is, and how many of the letters are replaced by numbers or even just letters (like 'ure'), it doesn't take that long to come up with appropriate code. Also, I had all of Tolkien's original choices to choose from. It just takes time to find recognizable pictures and to position everything so that it fits on the page.

I don't know how much more difficult it would be to do it in a second language.Your English is so perfect that I forget it's not your native language. I think one might see 'words within words' more quickly in one's native tongue, or recognize homonyms more quickly, but I'm not sufficiently fluent in any foreign language to know for sure.

Jn
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, here's what I think we have so far...

The picture must point to the word; so if Peter Jackson had been locked in a room and forced to

Here I think we have

solve Tolkiens letters

but so + 450 E should be "so LD E" wouldn't it? LV would be 55?

Toll + Canes = Tolkiens

then two letters = letters.

Wood = Would

Hiss - S = His

Move +IES = Movies

Bee = Be

Gamblers = Better?

Finally... Jay + Ten - T + USA = Jnyusa :)

So I get:

The picture must point to the word; so if Peter Jackson had been locked in a room and forced to solve Tolkiens letters would his movies be better?

Jnyusa

About the heading.

Serve or Pour? The Rome bit was cause it looked like the Forum to me at that size. Maybe Ruin? So "Rune"

Unfortunately "Servaruna" doesn't mean a lot so I imagine I'm way off!

Nearly there!

Alatar
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

The body of the message is correct, Alatar!

(the prize will have to be another one of Mrs.Whistler's potholders) :D

Also, you're correct that the 450 should be 55 ... I was working back and forth between two drafts to paste things from the internet and then position them, and I know I fixed that mistake at one point because I recall doing it, but I must have then switched to the other draft and never made the edit on the final version.

I'll fix it sometime today, for posterity. There's also a mistake in my name.
:oops:

Now, for the address - that should really be the easiest since most of you know where I live. ;)

Jn
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Also, you're correct that the 450 should be 55 ...
Ack, that was giving me a headache! Very well done, Alatar! :D

And I knew the last should be "Jnyusa" but I still don't understand how to get there, really.

As to the address - hmmh, I tried comparing it with your address but couldn't make sense of it. :scratch:

Edit: ARGH! I kept thinking PA was Pennsylvania, and that didn't make sense, so now I thought about what other similar state names there are - it's Philadelphia!

Fill + A + Delphi + A

but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Roccondil

Post by Roccondil »

Just beat me to it truehobbit, well done! :)
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

But you didn't know where Jny lives, did you? So you did much better figuring it out without help - after all I knew I should look for "PA"! :)
Roccondil

Post by Roccondil »

truehobbit wrote:But you didn't know where Jny lives, did you? So you did much better figuring it out without help - after all I knew I should look for "PA"! :)
I just suddenly realised the picture was Delphi, so the answer was then obvious, particularly as I have been there several times (although not for many years).
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Jny, you were right, it's not as hard as it looks! :D This was fun! :D

(Although I'm afraid the solution is too easy, too. :) )

I wasn't sure about the size of the pic - if it's too small, I've got a larger file, too.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ooo, I got that!

Although I have no clue who the woman in pink is (I assume her name is Jan or Jane?) or how the port... no, wait, I just got it, it's a HAVEN!

There's hope for me, it seems. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

The woman in pink, Frelga, is Jeannie. An American tv sitcom from the 60's?
called, 'I dream of Jeannie.'

Oooo! I got it too.

I am not entirely stupid.

:horse:

Dear Jn,

PJ would not have (figured? fig + u) that out in (a?) 100 years,
truehobbit.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

:clap:

I knew it was too easy! :P

I didn't write the "a" in "a hundred" because I thought that was involved when you say the number.

And in my mind I pronounce Jny like Jinny - which is close to Jeannie. :P

You haven't explained how "figured" and "truehobbit" are constructed, though! ;)
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

figured = fig + u (the letter U is red ... so, u + red)

truehobbit = tea + rue (I assume it's the herb Rue?) + hobbit.

Okay, where's my potholder?

Yes.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Err...

Fig + U = fig-U-red

Tea + rue = t-rue

ETA: Sassy beat me to it. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

You guys are good (kind of proud of the red U and the rue plant myself ;) )!
They don't let me near the chamber where they keep they potholders, though, so I can't sneak some out for you!

So, how about some plum cake instead? (Ok, I know it's not the season, but we can pretend! :D )

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Plums! Lovely plums! I won't say no to that!

Actually, my favorite picture was Y + years.

truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Y + ears? Thanks! :) Actually I felt a bit silly not finding a picture for the "Y" - Tolkien used a map of the river Wye, but I thought that was something too local to just copy. :)

Which reminds me - you haven't solved the location!

No cake yet! =:)
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

: = colon = Cologne (Köln)

:D :D :D

Yes.