The Snowmen of Forochel

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Snowmen of Forochel

Post by Alatar »

The Lord of the Rings Online game has announced a new free update based around the Lossoth of Forochel. But what I found really cool was the inclusion of a "Very Secret Diary" in the press release:
The Lossoth

The survivors of the Forodwaith, the ancient people from whom the northern lands of Middle-earth took their name. The Lossoth lived mainly along the northern shores of the Icebay of Forochel, but also explored the lands around its southern rim. They had a culture well adapted to their icy existence, constructing houses out of snow (apparently similar in principle to igloos), and travelling on sleds and bone skates.
The Lossoth entered history near the end of the second millennium of the Third Age, when they gave aid to Arvedui, last King of Arthedain, who had fled into the north to escape his kingdom's destruction. When an elven-ship came to rescue him, he rewarded the Lossoth for their friendship with the Ring of Barahir. His hosts sensed approaching disaster, and warned Arvedui not to board the ship. Against their advice, he did so, but a great storm overwhelmed the ship and last King of Arthedain was lost in the cold waters of the far north.

** The Very Secret Diary of Arvedui Last-king
With love to Cassandra Claire

- Day One

Unhappy. Witch-king came over uninvited; didn’t want to play board games. Decided to leave, should have brought more snacks.

- Day Ten

Cold. Should have brought long underwear. Only company is whining Dúnadan. Maybe Dwarf-mines have cable?

- Day Fourteen

Very bored. Palantíri couldn’t get signal in Dwarf-mines. Snack supply drastically thin. Might go watch the ice skating championships these Northerners keep raving about.

- Day Thirty

New Years Day; Disenfranchised. Círdan hasn’t come to visit me yet even though I keep writing. Ice skating not as boring as I first thought. Ice beds colder than I thought.

- Day Ninety

Haven’t heard from Círdan in months. He couldn’t even bother to come find me himself? Palantíri ominously silent; northern lights must be muddling their signal, tin foil antenna woefully ineffective.

- Day Ninety One

Ship finally arrived. Ice Skaters think I should stay with them; very worried. Maybe Palantíri will get a better signal on the ship?
Gotta love the internet!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

:rofl:

Al ... you know the other Secret Diaries by Cassie Claire, right? :)

They are truly legendary. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:rotfl:

I don't have a link to the originals, but anyone who does, please post it! No one who loves LotR should miss the Very Secret Diaries, quick and hilarious reads every one of them.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:rotfl:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I found them!

http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/

(And discovered on the way that the VSD have their very own Wikipedia article. . . .)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thanks Prim.

Loved this one from Gandalf's VSD:
Day Twelve:

Went to Saruman for advice about Ring but he had become evil. Nobody tells me anything. Apparently there was a memo. Radagast the Brown probably stealing paper out of my inbox again.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear in the past. Yeah I remember the Secret Diaries, thats what I found so cool. That a commercial entity like Codemasters/Turbine would tap into the fan psyche so well.

Nice touch!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It is a nice touch.

I certainly never thought you didn't know about the VSD, but I thought other people might not have heard of them or read them.

"Still not king."

"Sam will probably kill me."

Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I created a tongue-in-cheek in-character travelogue for LOTRO's Forochel. Some of it is serious, but much of it is silly. You'll find it at http://my.lotro.com/user-247731/2010/07 ... -forochel/.