Music, classical or otherwise, for LOTR

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

lali, could you post the link to that vid please?

Aravar, I hope you mean Sir John Elliot Gardiner's version of it, where he takes the opening bit at a snails pace, and the fanfaric bits at hyperspeed...

kams: Do Dwarves Do Barbershop? Or is it a sort of "Everyone's singing really low but there're loads of interesting overtones" type thing?
Why is the duck billed platypus?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:scratch: I thought it was "Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work we go ..."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I imagine Dwarves doing something along the lines of Mongolian throat singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPFYTRRH ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3YFK3s ... re=related

Edit: I deleted a redundant post of mine than I thought I had edited away and replaced with this one before posting, but evidently not. My mind is all higgledy-piggledy these days.
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Tue May 06, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I love Mongolian throat singing...

I can't do it though... :(

I saw a group of 4 live once. Haunting...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
kams

Post by kams »

Crucifer wrote:kams: Do Dwarves Do Barbershop? Or is it a sort of "Everyone's singing really low but there're loads of interesting overtones" type thing?
Given that they are dwarves and not professional musicians or traveling minstrels, I was just thinking that they'd have a hodge-podge of instruments when they gather. So at Bilbo's hobbit hole, when they sing the tale of their stolen loot, we HOF-folks would be a perfect fit! We could bring drums, viola, piano, clarinet, pennywhistle, bagpipes, guitar and whatever-all-else. Since I don't really play any instrument well, I'd lend my voice.

And I'd be glad to take throat-singing lessons if it would land me a trip to NZ and a part in the movie! :D

This is all akin to what "Flaming Red Hair" did in FOTR.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Crucifer wrote:lali, could you post the link to that vid please?
I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I went to the iTunes store and did a search for Patrick Gowers. It comes up as one of his songs, and you can click on it to listen to a 30 second clip. I don't see a url anywhere to give you. Sorry!

kams, I think you're on the right track. Our hodgepodge group sounds like a perfect fit for dwarves--really, for hobbits, too, I think. It's the idea that you play whatever you have on hand, depending on who was there with what instrument.

What is "Flaming Red Hair" in FotR? I have flaming red hair. (Well, it used to be. Now that I'm getting older, it's more like fading red hair.... :( )

Lali
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Just going back to Aravar's suggestion of Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for strings; that is good. The great sweeping sounds fit the sense of openness and waving grass and even horses moving about. Were you thinking of the Ken Russell film for Monitor?
I have thought once or twice about how (some) composers who were contemporary with Tolkien seem to fit his work and if it could be put down to the zeitgeist.
Is Zadoc the Priest the right fit for the coronation of Aragorn? That passage seemed more about dignified humility coupled with an informal acclamation rather than intense pomp. The field of Cormallen perhaps though the music doesn't really last long enough. Perhaps the first meeting with Celeborn and Galadriel?
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

crucifer wrote:Aravar, I hope you mean Sir John Elliot Gardiner's version of it, where he takes the opening bit at a snails pace, and the fanfaric bits at hyperspeed...
I'm not familiar with it, unless it's the version used in The Madness of King George. The version I have is Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert.

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:Just going back to Aravar's suggestion of Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for strings; that is good. The great sweeping sounds fit the sense of openness and waving grass and even horses moving about. Were you thinking of the Ken Russell film for Monitor?
I have thought once or twice about how (some) composers who were contemporary with Tolkien seem to fit his work and if it could be put down to the zeitgeist.
Is Zadoc the Priest the right fit for the coronation of Aragorn? That passage seemed more about dignified humility coupled with an informal acclamation rather than intense pomp. The field of Cormallen perhaps though the music doesn't really last long enough. Perhaps the first meeting with Celeborn and Galadriel?
I haven't seen the Ken Russell film, it's just the music evokes that sense of openness.

I think for the Field of Cormallen, at least the presentation of Frodo and Sam, that Worthy is the Lamb from Messiah would be appropriate. I agree that Zadok would also be approriate for Celeborn and Galadriel.

I'll think some more about the coronation.

I'll also suggest the first movment of Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Stings for the first approach of Gandalf and Pippin to Minas Tirith. I think it fits well with the great city at dawn.
ToshoftheWuffingas

If you look in my most recent post in the LOTR TV serial you will see I have juxtaposed Tallis's Spem in Allium with the field of Cormallen.

Ken Russell's film was one of his early works he did for the BBC arts programme Monitor. It was a dramatised biography of Elgar with an actor as Elgar galloping over the Chilterns (?) to the sound of the Introduction and Allegro for Strings. It was very in keeping with the Rohan landscape though a little too lush for the inhabitants.

and yes it is Zadok, sorry for the typo.
kams

Post by kams »

Lalaith wrote:What is "Flaming Red Hair" in FotR? I have flaming red hair. (Well, it used to be. Now that I'm getting older, it's more like fading red hair.... :( )Lali
Flamin Red Hair is the name of the group who played at Bilbo's party in FOTR. (There is a quick shot where Pippin joins them.)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D Yes, I remember seeing that. What a great name for a band!

Lali
kams

Post by kams »

I knew you would approve! :D
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

For Aragorn's coronation myself I always heard Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Procession of the Nobles' from the unfinished opera Mlada.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[ot]Lali, I love your new lolcat pic![/ot]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:[ot]Lali, I love your new lolcat pic![/ot]
[still ot] Indeed. [/still ot]

I have a lot more music in my head for pieces of the Sil than LOTR...but in a fit of 70s-centrism I have always associated Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" with Gandalf and Pippin's ride to MT.

Don't ask me why. :scratch:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

[ot] Thanks! :D It cracked me up, too. [/ot]

Is there any way everybody could post links to the music they are recommending? I mean, no one has to go on a 3 hour hunt for something, but maybe just see if it's on YouTube?

Lali
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Lali, I looked for a decent clip of the R-K, but all they have are pretty lame (mostly high school bands).
ToshoftheWuffingas

And I don't have a sound card in my comp (I think) which makes it dumb of me to start this thread! :blackeye:
kams

Post by kams »

Don't worry about appearing dumb. I just noticed that this thread is about music for LOTR and here I've been posting about my wishes for the Hobbit!! :oops:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, I just feel dumb because I don't know half of the suggested pieces--which is why I appreciated the links whenever possible. :blackeye: And I love classical music.

(solicitr, no problem! Thanks for looking. :) )

Lali