The Shibboleth of Fëanor

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The Shibboleth of Fëanor

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Tolkien’s essay entitled The Shibboleth of Fëanor, printed in The People of Middle-earth, is one that I never paid that much attention to. I am not a linguist, nor a philologist, and I have not made a deep (or even shallow ;)) study of Tolkien’s languages. I believed that the essay was simply a discussion of a minor linguistic point, and never maid it much mind. Recently, however, I have come to see some of its deeper significance.

Tolkien did not actually give the essay a title, but Christopher used this title because his father used it in the essay in referring to the rejection of the shibboleth of Fëanor. Christopher wrote about this essay:
In all my father’s last writings linguistic history was closely intertwined with the history of persons and of peoples, and much that he recounted can be seen to have arisen in the search for explanations of linguistic facts or anomalies. The most remarkable example of this is the following essay, arising from his consideration of a problem of historical phonology, which records how the difference in pronunciation of a single consonantal element in Quenya played a significant part in the strife of the Noldorin princes.
The essay revolves around the change of þ to s in Noldorin Quenya, and the events with which this alteration became 'entwined'. This change apparently occurred before the darkening of Valinor and the Noldor’s exile, but after the separation of the Noldor and Vanyar (when the Vanyar went to live at the foot of Taniquetil). It apparently was a conscious and deliberate change agreed to by a majority of the Noldor, although both the Vanyar and the Teleri continued to use þ, which took place after the birth of Míriel but before the birth of.

This change was attacked by the linguistic loremasters, the chief of whom was Fëanor. "He insisted that þ was the true pronunciation for all who cared for or fully understood their language."

But Fëanor also had a personal reason for attacking this change. The “mother-name” of his mother Míriel was þerinde (needlewoman) because of her skill in embroidery. Míriel, though of gentle was spirit, had a deep streak of obstinacy (as later would be seen), that she bequeathed to her son. She insisted that all of her kin continue to use þ, at least when pronouncing her mother-name. And while she lived, Finwë himself continued to adhere to that pronunciation.

However, things changed after Míriel’s death, and Finwë’s remarriage to Indis. As a Vanyar, Indis might have been expected to be an ally of Fëanor’s in this point. But instead, she adopted the Noldorin use, which had become almost universal among the Noldor after Míriel’s death, particularly since Finwë himself accepted the change after Míriel rejected his pleas to return to him.

To Fëanor, the rejection of þ became a symbol of the rejection of Míriel and of himself, as the chief of the Noldor next to Finwë. Fëanor was the 'son of þerinde' and told his sons to take no heed of the use of s for þ in the house of Finwë and elsewhere. 'We speak as is right, and as King Finwë himself did before he was led astray.' Thus we see reflected in this minor linguistic distinction the roots of the whole dispute that led to the strife among the Noldor.

The use of the word shibboleth by Tolkien here is particularly interesting. Modernly, the word shibboleth is defined as “a word or pronunciation that distinguishes people of one group or class from those of another.” However, it has biblical roots. Shibboleth is the Hebrew word that literally means "torrent of water" or "stream". In the Hebrew Bible, pronunciation of this word was used to distinguish members of a group whose dialect lacked a "sh" sound from members of a group whose dialect included such a sound. The consequences of getting it wrong were fatal:
And the Gileadites seized the passages of the Jordan before the Ephraimites; and it was so, that when those Ephraimites who had escaped said, "Let me go over," that the men of Gilead said unto him, "Art thou an Ephraimite?" If he said, "Nay," then said they unto him, "Say now 'Shibboleth.'" And he said "Sibboleth," for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him and slew him at the passages of the Jordan; and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand. (Judges 12:5-6, King James Version of the Bible)
I find this intersection between Tolkien’s linguistic musings, his own legendarium, and biblical lore incredibly fascinating. This idea of linguistic differences being such a stark reflection of the differences that erupt between humans is one that I have not really considered before. And I can think of few other instances of such a direct biblical reference elsewhere in Tolkien's work. I’m going to have to give more thought to this. And I look forward to any thoughts that anyone else might have about the matter.

I should add that Tolkien also has some very interesting things to say about Galadriel in this essay (some of which was actually printed in the Unfinished Tales section about Galadriel and Celeborn). But those thoughts will need to wait for another day (and perhaps another thread).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Voronwë, this is a fascinating post. I have something to say, though I am afraid it is not as responsive as your post deserves ... but this is where my thoughts take me at the moment.

The Shibboleth is a symbol of language as a divider. But language is how we communicate with each other, one way we bridge the gap. I really think there is something ... dismaying ... about language also being something that can be used to drive people apart.

There is something from LOTR that I would call an anti-Shibboleth, a moment of language working again as it should, by creating understanding where before there was none. In fact, it is not right that this should be called an 'anti' of anything ... it really deserves its own name, but I know not what.

I am talking about the moment when Galadriel says to Gimli: "Dark is the water of the Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of the Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazâd-dûm in Eldar Days before the fall of might kings beneath the stone."

Tolkien's description of Gimli's reaction shows how understanding can be created: And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes; and it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding.

Galadriel understood the nature of language very well, I think.

Are our differing languages to be walls between us, or can our varied languages be turned back to their fundamental natures and become doors of understanding?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Faramond wrote:Voronwë, this is a fascinating post. I have something to say, though I am afraid it is not as responsive as your post deserves ... but this is where my thoughts take me at the moment.

The Shibboleth is a symbol of language as a divider. But language is how we communicate with each other, one way we bridge the gap. I really think there is something ... dismaying ... about language also being something that can be used to drive people apart.

There is something from LOTR that I would call an anti-Shibboleth, a moment of language working again as it should, by creating understanding where before there was none. In fact, it is not right that this should be called an 'anti' of anything ... it really deserves its own name, but I know not what.

I am talking about the moment when Galadriel says to Gimli: "Dark is the water of the Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of the Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazâd-dûm in Eldar Days before the fall of might kings beneath the stone."

Tolkien's description of Gimli's reaction shows how understanding can be created: And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes; and it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding.

Are our differing languages to be walls between us, or can our varied languages be turned back to their fundamental natures and become doors of understanding?
Your post made me sad Faramond. Why can we see in the works of Tolkien what we cannot achieve in real life. Look at the division we're currently suffering over the use of "language".
Voronwë the Faithful

Faramond, your post was amazingly responsive to those things that I meant to say with that post but did not specifically lay out. I actually was going to go back and try to edit the post before we opened to try to bring some of thoughts more to the surface, but I did not get a chance to do so. And it turns out to have been unnecessary.

I will have more to say in response to your post later (and in response to Alatar's comment as well), but I just wanted to say that. Right now, I need to greet the new people that I haven't yet greeted, and find today's picture for Arda Unmarred.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I had a long post eaten last night. :x I'm going to try to recapture a piece of it.
Faramond wrote:The Shibboleth is a symbol of language as a divider. But language is how we communicate with each other, one way we bridge the gap. I really think there is something ... dismaying ... about language also being something that can be used to drive people apart.
I quite agree, and I think it is related to why people find the Silmarillion such a challenging and dismaying work. But a painfully honest one, as well. As Al pointed out, the phenomenon of language as something that can be used to drive people apart is a very real one. We see it very much in the internet world, where people from different backgrounds are so easily brought together. The Silmarillion is very much about how darkness can mar even the greatest and brightest of creations.
While I see what you mean about not wanting to call it the "anti-" of anything, I really like the comparison you make here, and I think it is a very telling one, for reasons that I will try to explain.

This has always been one of very favorite scenes in the LOTR. Indeed Galadriel understood the nature of language very well, as you say. And it is quite fitting to talk of Galadriel here, because although the bulk of Tolkien's essay is devoted to Fëanor and his stubborn pride, it begins and ends with Galadriel.

The "reason" for this essay, so to speak, is to explain why Galadriel used s instead of " þ" in her lament in LOTR.
The use by Galadriel, as reported in The Lord of the Rings, must therefore be normal. It is not however an obstacle to the use of þ in representing the classical book-Quenya, pre-Exilic or post-Exilic, in grammars, dictionaries or transcripts.
The essay then turns to Fëanor and Míriel and discusses the history of the change. At the end, however, it turn back to a discussion of Galadriel. Most of this discussion was actually printed in the History of Galadriel and Celeborn section of The Unfinished Tales. It is in fact the section that talks about her distrust of Fëanor:
From her earliest years she had a marvelous gift of insight into the minds of others, but judged them with mercy and understanding, and she withheld her good will from none save only Fëanor. In him she perceived a darkness that she hated and feared, though she did not perceive that the shadow of the same evil had fallen upon the minds of all the Ñoldor, and upon her own.
Tolkien notes that þ was used in the house of Finarfin, the father of Galadriel, out of love for the Vanyar (the people of his mother, Indis), and the Teleri (the people of his wife Eärwen). Tolkien's explanation of why Galadriel nonetheless used s is very revealing.
In [Finarfin's] house þ was used, Finarfin being moved by Fëanor neither one way or the other but doing as he wished. It is clear nonetheless that opposition to Fëanor soon became a dominant motive with Galadriel, while her pride did not take the form of wishing to be different from her own people. So while she knew well the history of their tongue and all the reasons of the loremasters, she certainly used s in her own daily speech. Her Lament - spoken before she knew of the pardon (and indeed honour) that the Valar gave her - harks back to the days of her youth in Valinor and to the darkness of the years of Exile while the Blessed Realm was closed to all the Ñoldor in Middle-earth. Whatever she may have done later, when Fëanor and all his sons had perished, and Quenya was a language of lore known and used only by the dwindling remnant of the High Elves (of Ñoldorin descent), she would in this song certainly have used s.
I find it very interesting to note that for all of her wisdom and understanding, Galadriel was so motivated by her negative feeling towards Fëanor. Indeed, I believe it was through these negative feelings that “the same evil” fell upon her mind. There is a very interesting--and telling, I think--footnote to this. In the text, Galadriel and Fëanor are described as "the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor" (who were "unfriends forever"). In the footnote, Tolkien added:
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves
What a fascinating statement. A whole dissertation could be written describing how these three characters “are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves,” and explaining why Lúthien was "the greatest of all the Eldar."
Both, of course. But I would need Athrabeth’s facility with language to explain why I say that. ;)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks for some very insightful posts!

This is one of those wonderful moments in Tolkien's mythology, where I'm not interested in the actualities of Elven lore, but where Tolkien opens a whole world of philosophical possibilities without resorting to a dry, theoretical essay, but puts it all in the nutshell of an episode of a story.

There are many angles from which to look at this problem, but, in order to not let my post become too long and confused, I would just like to address Faramond's response.

I think you are right to say that this moment in LOTR shows the opposite effect of language use, bringing together instead of dividing. But, then, Galadriel had also done what the Noldor among themselves had refused to do: she does not insist on the "shibboleth", she uses the language of the "other side", rather than her own - the Elves probably had their own words for these places, and she could have used those words. Gimli would also have understood her meaning, but it would not have had the same effect.

Plus, I think this is even more important when it comes to names.
Getting someone's name right, IMO, is a big part of showing respect and of showing that you really notice their presence.
It's like when someone whose native language is English responds to a mail (or so) that I have signed "Monika" by saying "hi Monica" - of course I'm not offended, because I know they are just doing what is natural to them. But if they respond saying "hi Monika", the effect is vastly different! Getting one letter right seems to say: I've noticed you, I acknowledge you and the way you do things, even where they are different from the way I'd do them.

And in Galadriel's words, there's even more than just respecting the other's language, of course - she shows that she also knows about the history of the Dwarves and she knows what's important to them. To Gimli this means that, to know that, she must be interested, she must care.
Haven't we all felt strangely flattered, in talking to someone from another country or culture, when they showed some knowledge and understanding of something that is important to us in our culture?

Well, even this is longer than I thought it would be - I hope to talk a bit about divisive language and all that in a bit. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful

Lovely post, Monika. :kiss:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Although I have little to say on this, not having read the passage in question, I do find it very interesting. I hope that Voronwë might consider giving us a guided tour of some of the more interesting sections of the History of Middle Earth. The 10 volumes that I own have hardly been opened, but when a particular section is pointed to or discussed I always make a point of looking it up (as I will do with this one). The last time I did this was with the "Epilogue" chapter of Sam reading from the Red Book to his children. If someone had not pointed me to that I would have missed a wonderful piece of writing and one that touched me a lot.

What say you Voronwë?
Voronwë the Faithful

Al, I am definitely up for that. I'm glad that you put it as "of some of the more interesting sections of the History of Middle Earth." I think that an attempt to do a linear study of the full ten volumes, in order, would bog down quickly. I'm much more interested in taking discrete sections and looking at them in depth. I know a number of people have expressed an interest in discussing the Athrabeth, for instance. And I have a particular interest in The Wanderings of Húrin. I think it would also be interesting to trace how The Lost Tales developed into the Silmarillion, as well as to speculate where the story might have gone if Tolkien had had time to proceed with the transformation of his mythology that he was pondering. And that's not even getting into the development of the Lord of the Rings, and what a fascinating insight into the creative process that is. So, in short, I say I am very excited.

But someone else will need to "guide" the discussion about Volume III: The Lays of Beleriand.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Regarding Galadriel's address to Gimli - here the language is but a tool of her wisdom and goodwill.

There is Gimli, all ruffled feathers, blindfolded, insulted and none too fond of Elves to begin with. Celeborn proceeds to accuse the Dwarves, Gimli's kin, of stirring up the evil in Moria and effectively blames him for Gandalf's death.

And then Galadriel comes back with
If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlórien, who of the Galadhrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of dragons?
excellent husband-management there, BTW. "Celeborn the Wise" ;)

And then she addresses Gimli with the passage that Faramond quoted.

What Galadriel is saying to Gimli is "I understand you. We have much in common. Your motives are the same as the ones that would move me in this situation." But for Gimli to hear her, she has to address him in his language, as much as she is able too. Which she does, and Gimli responds instantly, like a softy he is.
Faramond wrote:Are our differing languages to be walls between us, or can our varied languages be turned back to their fundamental natures and become doors of understanding?
What I'm driving at is that Galadriel's understanding of Gimli and her empathy with him came first. From that position she was able to use his language to help him see "love and understanding".

With Fëanor, what came first was his pride, and his resentment of what he perceived as his father's rejection. He then used a fine point of pronunciation to drive home his point.

The language is a door, as Faramond said. But it is our choice of love or resentment that opens or shuts the door.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

I find it very interesting to note that for all of her wisdom and understanding, Galadriel was so motivated by her negative feeling towards Fëanor. Indeed, I believe it was through these negative feelings that “the same evil” fell upon her mind. There is a very interesting--and telling, I think--footnote to this. In the text, Galadriel and Fëanor are described as "the greatest of the Eldar of Valinor" (who were "unfriends forever"). In the footnote, Tolkien added:

Quote:
Who together with the greatest of all the Eldar, Lúthien Tinúviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, are the chief matter of the legends and histories of the Elves
<venturing into unknown territory>

So Galadriel's reason for use of the letter s in place of þ is pride-driven in a very similar fashion to Fëanor. Then they are temper mentally more alike than unalike, no?

I wonder if Fëanor, had he survived, would also have had the chance of redemption?

Note: Further reading of Unfinished Tales reveals that Tolkien's last writing, in the final month of his life, wished to amend Galadriel's character by removing her from all association with the rebellion of Fëanor, even to the extent of giving her a separate departure (with Celeborn) from Aman

Not that that has anything to do with language.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Following the winding way up the green shoulders of the hills, they came at last to the wide wind-swept walls and the gates of Edoras.

There sat many men in bright mail, who sprang at once to their feet and barred the way with spears. "Stay, strangers here unknown!" they cried in the tongue of the Riddermark, dmeanding the names the errand of the strangers. Wonder was in their eyes but little friendliness; and they looked darkly upon Gandalf.

"Well do I understand your speech," he answered in the same language; "yet few strangers do so. Why then do you not speak in the Common Tongue, as is the custom in the West, if you wish to be answered?"

"It is the will of Théoden King that none should enter his gates, save those who know our tongue and are our friends," replied one of the guards.

Another Shibboleth. This one is passed, yet still language here is used as a wall.

So one would expect of a people under the influence of Saruman and Wormtongue.

When Éomer first sees Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, he speaks to them in the Common Tongue. His subsequent actions are not surprising, after this beginning.

I suppose a lot more can be said about this, but I will end here for tonight.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good observation, Faramond. :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Warning: this is very oblique.

I'm thinking of the tower of Babel: The peoples of the world all spoke one tongue after the flood of Noah, and they united to build a tower that would reach all the way to heaven - a preposterous idea which offended God. To undermine this unified effort, God sundered their tongue so that the peoples could no longer understand one another and therefore could never again unite in their presumption, against God.

This thought struck me because Tolkien wrote this from the position of being a believing Catholic; the Biblical stuff was always there, at the back of his mind and he did describe it as being a 'Catholic work'.

So his use of language was so profound and subtle - as a linguist, a philologist and perhaps even insofar as the biblical influence worked in the back of his mind.

So the Shibboleth of Fëanor - and the other uses of language to divide pointed to in this thread - somehow put me in mind of Babel.

Don't think it's of any use, really, but it does add another colour to the whole picture. At least it does to me, but my brain works funny, as you know.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I don't think your brain works funny, Impenitent.

Or, I guess what I mean is, if your brain works funny I like the way it works. :D

From the first time I read LOTR I loved Tolkien's use of the language. He tells his story on about 85 different levels, I think. The simplest word can lead the reader down so many paths!

It is a never-ending delight.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm considering altering the conditions of entrance to the HoF to require that members have brains that "work funny".
Warning: this is very oblique.
This describes Tolkien's work very well. As vison said, his language is so very rich in meaning, so that even a short, primarily philological essay like the one we are discussing here is full of different layers.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Now the entire earth was of one language and uniform words. 2 And it came to pass when they traveled from the east, that they found a valley in the land of Shinar and settled there. 3 And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks and fire them thoroughly"; so the bricks were to them for stones, and the clay was to them for mortar. 4 And they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make ourselves a name, lest we be scattered upon the face of the entire earth". 5 And the Lord descended to see the city and the tower that the sons of man had built. 6 And The LORD said, "Lo! [they are] one people, and they all have one language, and this is what they have commenced to do. Now, will it not be withheld from them, all that they have planned to do? 7 Come, let us descend and confuse their language, so that one will not understand the language of his companion". 8 And the Lord scattered them from there upon the face of the entire earth, and they ceased building the city. 9 Therefore, He named it Babel, for there the Lord confused the language of the entire earth, and from there the Lord scattered them upon the face of the entire earth.

Well ... I read this and I don't see people uniting against God ... there is presumptuous, perhaps.

Nevertheless, here is God creating the many languages. As a punishment? I don't see that. It seems more that it is the way things are supposed to be. People are supposed to be scattered, and not making a single name for themselves. Why?

One might ask why there are people with free will at all. I think that is a closely related question. Given the Christian concept of God as perfectly good ... what is the point of creating things separate from God? Why can't everything be God?

I can't answer these questions ... but I can get to my point, finally. I believe that it is good that there are people with free will separate from God, though I cannot name a rational reason. And, I believe that it is good that there are separate languages, and the reason I think this is very close to the unnamable reason I refered to in the previous sentence.

Language is so close to who we are, I think. If we were truly a part of God, and not just a part of God's creation, then our language would be something like pure music. But our language is words, and they are made possible and also necessary by our separation from God and each other. They are possible because our souls cannot sing directly to each other, and they are necessary because there should be bridges between us. But words by themselves aren't the bridges. Stories are the bridges. A culture is the stories in the culture, I think. A word only has meaning when it is part of a story. Tolkien knew that a language was dead without stories. He needed stories for his languages to come alive.

When Language is made into a Shibboleth, I think what is happening is that words are stripped of their stories. Words are turned into brands, like a symbol of identity burnt into the tongue of the speaker.

A difference of language is an opportunity to learn new words, to even exchange new words and enrich each langauge. To add to the stories.

It is unfortunate, in a way, that the Hobbits did not have their own language.

And that is enough rambling for one night.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

When Language is made into a Shibboleth, I think what is happening is that words are stripped of their stories. Words are turned into brands, like a symbol of identity burnt into the tongue of the speaker.

What a perfect image. :love:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

What a beautiful post, Faramond! I may or may not have more to say about it once I have fully digested it, but I just wanted to say how much it moved me.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

What are orc languages like? Are there any stories behind those words?

It doesn't seem likely.

Where do orc languages come from, anyway?

I suppose they were invented by Morgoth or Sauron ... perhaps made in mockery of true languages. Formed by taking a true language and wringing all life out of it until only dry meaning is left. I can't imagine there is an orcish word for "mercy" ... mostly likely it would be translated at "weakness".

Most orcs can speak the common tongue, but they must think in their stripped down dead orcish languages.