The Company They Keep

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

The Company They Keep

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I finally have had an opportunity to read Diana Pavlac Glyer's The Company They Keep: C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, the winner of this year's Mythopoeic Society award for Inklings scholarship (beating out some extremely stiff competition, including John Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit). This is a really great book. It is about as meticulously researched as anything I have ever encountered, but it is written in a clear, easily digest manner. Glyer really gets under the surface of the influence and affect that the Inklings had on each other. I know we have several writers here that work with writing groups and other types of group feedback. I think this book would be particularly fascinating to those folks. I definitely recommend it, particularly now that it is available in paperback at a greatly reduced price.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Sounds interesting. I may recommend it to my brother.

He is teaching an overseas class in England this summer, and will in part be covering some elements of the Inklings (though that is only a small part of it), even visiting the Bodleian and other places.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.