Spare cash anyone?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Spare cash anyone?

Post by Alatar »

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000645.htm

#000645 - 1st UK Edition Lord of the Rings in Dustjackets VG+/VG+ - $13,500.00
George Allen & Unwin, published in 1954, 1954, and 1955, the 1st UK Edition, 1st impressions.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maybe my third child doesn't need a college education. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**checks bank balance

Pass.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe we could take a collection and purchase it for the HoF community. It could be housed for safety at the Thain's House. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:suspicious:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sigh. When I win the lottery (perhaps I should buy a ticket...), I'll stock the Hall of Fire Library. But I hate to impose on the Thain to house it. I think instead I'll put branches in Oxford and New Zealand, and establish a fund to purchase air fare for Halofirians who wish to visit them for research or continuing enlightenment.

Just a (pleasant) thought.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Can we take up another collection:

Tolkien, "Lamb's Farm", pen and ink drawing
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Celebrindal

Post by Celebrindal »

WampusCat wrote:Sigh. When I win the lottery (perhaps I should buy a ticket...), I'll stock the Hall of Fire Library. But I hate to impose on the Thain to house it. I think instead I'll put branches in Oxford and New Zealand, and establish a fund to purchase air fare for Halofirians who wish to visit them for research or continuing enlightenment.

Just a (pleasant) thought.
This? Is a brilliant idea :bow:
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

Bought used for about $2 :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That nice Anduril. Is it the same as the Filmbook? Any chance you could scan a few pages for me?
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

I don't what the Filmbook is - is it a "making-of" book or a junior storybook with film images? The Fotonovel™ (more like film images arranged like comics) is softbound and paperback-sized so the interior's not ideal for scanning. I could take photos of some pages but I don't have access to a digital camera right now. Perhaps in the future. It's not in mint condition of course, but still I was just lucky.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I had the filmbook, because the film was in fact my first experience of LOTR. It's probably in my parents attic soemwhere.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The filmbooks is pretty much as you described. A storybook with film images. Is yours more like a graphic novel, in comic strip form? Say, like the Hobbit Graphic Novel by David Wenzel?