Quote help?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Meneltarma

Quote help?

Post by Meneltarma »

My room's being re-done, and most of my books (including LOTR) are currently inaccessible. But I'm in the middle of a paper on Quest literature, and the idea of Home - an one section of it talks about LotR as Frodo's tragedy, that he realises that he prefers home to travel (especially since all the travel he does is done with people trying to kill him), but continues on his quest, mostly to save his home - and finally loses that home because his quest has made him unable to really live there. (I'm not explaining this very well, am I? :( )
Writing about this has been reasonably easy, but I need exact quotes. Can anyone provide them? I need the one where (I think) Gandalf makes Frodo realise that the Ring will lead Sauron to the Shire, the conversation in Rivendell betwen Sam and Frodo where they both think their quest is over, and any others you think might help.

:( :help: :scratch:
fisssh
Librarian of Great Smials

Post by fisssh »

Here's a few to start:

From The Fellowship of the Ring: "The Shadow of the Past"
'I hope so,' said Frodo. 'But I hope that you may find some other better keeper soon. But in the meanwhile it seems that I am a danger, a danger to all that live near me. I cannot keep the Ring and stay here. I ought to leave Bag End, leave the Shire, leave everything and go away.' He sighed.

'I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.

'Of course, I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined that as a kind of holiday, a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me. And I suppose I must go alone, if I am to do that and save the Shire. But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well - desperate. The Enemy is so strong and terrible.'

From The Fellowship of the Ring: "Many Meetings"
'I suppose not,' said Frodo. 'But so far my only thought has been to get here; and I hope I shan't have to go any further. It is very pleasant just to rest. I have had a month of exile and adventure, and I find that has been as much as I want.'
(Note - Frodo is speaking to Gandalf, not Sam here)

From The Return of the King: "Homeward Bound"
'I fear it may be so with mine,' said Frodo. 'There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?'
From The Return of the King: "The Grey Havens"
'But,' said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, 'I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too. for years and years, after all you have done.'

'So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Melly, this isn't precisely what you are looking for, but it might be helpful, from The Shadow of the Past:
'I should like to save the Shire, if I could--though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for workds, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again

'Of course, I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined that as a kind of holiday, a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me. And I suppose I must goalone, if I am to do that and save the Shire. But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well--desperate. THe Enemy is so strong and terrible.'
Then, from "Three Is Company":
Totell the truth, he was very reluctant to start, now that it had come to the point. Bag End seemed a more desirable residence than it had for years, and he wanted to savour as much as he could of his last summer in the Shire. When autumn came, he knew that part at least of his heart would think more kindly of journeying, as it always did at that season. He had indeed privately made up his mind to leave on his fiftieth birthday: Bilbo's one hundred and twenty-eighth. It seemed somehow the proper day on which to set out the follow him. Following Bilbo was upermost in his mind, and the one thing that made the thought of leaving bearable.
From "The Council of Elrond":
No one answered. The noon-bell rang. Still no one spoke. Frodo glanced at all the faces, but they were not turned to him. All the Council sat with downcast eyes, as if in deep thought. A great dread fell on him, as if he was awaiting the pronouncement of some doomthat he had long foreseen and vainly hoped might after all never be spoken. An overwhelming longing to rest and remain at peace by Bilbo' side in Rivendell filled all his heart. At last with an effort he spoke, and wondered to hear his own words, as if some other will was using his small voice.

'I will take the Ring,' he said, 'though I do not know the way.'
I think the scene you are referring to between Frodo and Sam at Rivendell happened only in the movie, but that does not (in my opinion) mean that it has no worth:
Sam: <to himself> Now what have I forgotten?

Frodo: Packed already?

Sam: No harm in being prepared.

Frodo: I thought you wanted to see the elves Sam.

Sam: I do!

Frodo: More than anything.

Sam: I did! Its just...we did what Gandalf wanted didn't we? We got the Ring this far to Rivendell and then I thought, seen’ as how you’re on the mend, we'd be off soon. Off home.

Frodo: You're right Sam. We did what we set out to do. <shows the Ring on his palm> The Ring will be safe in Rivendell.

Frodo: I am ready to go home.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

Perfect. Those are exactly what I needed. :)
This one, especially:
I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again

Everyone is very amused that a project for my Greek Literature paper focuses only on books written in the 20th Century, besides The Odyssey. :D
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

But of course! That proves that the myths were valid. They survived 25+ centuries and continue to speak to us.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.