The Art of the Hobbit By J.R.R. Tolkien (new book)

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

A drawing of Lúthien can last a lifetime and give lots of satisfaction, I agree.

Letters and contracts are interesting and something a body should see. Once. Twice. Maybe even a half dozen times.

After that it is all about people siphoning money and opportunities.

Will these new "Tolkien" works be on lunchboxes in the future?

At some point the line is crossed. I am not here to determine the line for anyone. I am merely stating that there is a line and sometimes it gets crossed for me.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have no idea what it is that you are trying to say, Holby. :scratch:

Anyway, there aren't any pictures of Lúthien in here, obviously, and the many pictures of Bilbo are far from the highlight. Nothing showed the amatuerishness of Tolkien's artwork more than his attempts to depict the human form. But his depictions of places and things are both charming and informative, particularly landscapes and architecture. As Wayne and Christina write in the Introduction these pictures draw you into the world of The Hobbit as much as the text does. I'm sorry if my one example of the letter led you astray in your opinion of the book. Many of the sketches and such similarly probably would only justify one or two viewings, but much of the artwork deserves repeated viewings.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I am baffled as to why it they wouldn't want to offer it here. If this is the case, then I will suck it up and buy it from Amazon.UK. I've bought a couple of other things from them and it has worked out well.

I also can't see them trying to actively tie in to the movie. I am under the impression that Christopher Tolkien is vehemently opposed to both this movie and the LOTR ones and so I can't see him allowing something new like this to promote the film. He probably doesn't have a lot of choice in how the novel gets reprinted (expect lots of editions with movie images on the cover). But something new like this he probably can exercise more control.

Anyway, glad you got yours and now I will have to order mine. I will check the price, maybe it will go down in a few weeks. It's hard to tell.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

After mucho drama from Amazon.co.uk, I finally got my History of the Hobbit.

It's a very nicely produced book! I did not expect the fold-out plates. I'm not quite done perusing it, but it is worth going to the trouble to get.

I don't think it's over-the-top marketing at all. I think it's quite a good book to read and Tolkien really was an illustrator, at least when it came to The Hobbit.

Now, my Lord Of The Rings light-up goblets from Burger King, THAT'S over-the-top marketing!!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm glad you finally got it! It definitely is a must-have book (along with Artist and Illustrator).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."