Tolkien Scholar: What is your definition?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Tolkien Scholar: What is your definition?

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

My question to all of you: What qualities do you feel that someone must possess to be considered by most reasonable people to be a Tolkien Scholar?
  • Must they have had formal training, i.e., via university courses and/or an apprenticeship under a renowned authority of Tolkien's works?
  • Could it be someone who is merely considered by his/her peers to be very knowledgeable of Tolkien's works?
  • Must they have published a book, or written articles for a well-known journal?
  • Would profound knowledge of Tolkien's published works suffice, or must they have also researched his unpublished manuscripts housed in the Bodleian Library at Oxford and the Raynor Memorial Libraries at Marquette?
  • In addition to great knowledge of Tolkien's works, must they also have studied the Kalevala, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, Beowulf, the Mabinogion, and other works that influenced Tolkien?
  • If so, is it required that they have studied these works in their original languages or would English translations suffice?
I'm imagine that you all have different definitions, but I'm interested in knowing the consensus. Thank you for your time. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Can't answer your question but am glad to see you!
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

What vison said. Especially the "glad to see you" part!

I would only say that a "Tolkien scholar" might be best defined by other Tolkien scholars. It's not just what someone has studied, but what she's added to other people's knowledge and to the ongoing discussion of Tolkien by writing about what she's learned.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Tolkien Scholar: What is your definition?

Post by Alatar »

Howdy Tom! Here's my thoughts, since you asked.

• Must they have had formal training, i.e., via university courses and/or an apprenticeship under a renowned authority of Tolkien's works?

Nope
  • Could it be someone who is merely considered by his/her peers to be very knowledgeable of Tolkien's works?

Yep
  • Must they have published a book, or written articles for a well-known journal?

Not necessarily
  • Would profound knowledge of Tolkien's published works suffice, or must they have also researched his unpublished manuscripts housed in the Bodleian Library at Oxford and the Raynor Memorial Libraries at Marquette?

No, there are many different levels.
  • In addition to great knowledge of Tolkien's works, must they also have studied the Kalevala, the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, Beowulf, the Mabinogion, and other works that influenced Tolkien?

Not if their interest is only in Tolkien's works. It may be instructive though.
  • If so, is it required that they have studied these works in their original languages or would English translations suffice?

Again, depends on the level of interest
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to be seen. :)

So what I've gathered from your replies so far is that the term 'Tolkien Scholar' is far from being well-defined, if even in the most broadest terms. I'd be very interested in Voronwë's comments. I think most of us would consider him a scholar, certainly in terms of the creation of The Silmarillion if nothing else. I wonder if he considers himself one? Hmmm.
It's not just what someone has studied, but what she's added to other people's knowledge and to the ongoing discussion of Tolkien by writing about what she's learned.
That's an excellent point, Prim, and one that I had not considered. I certainly think that scholars would enjoy discussing what they've learned with others who in turn would share what they have learned. (Maybe someone can create a message board for this? ;) ) It creates opportunities to add to one's scholarship by learning what others know, and using the views of others to refine their own.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote: It creates opportunities to add to one's scholarship by learning what others know, and using the views of others to refine their own.
Indeed, one can make an argument that scholarship, as opposed to research, cannot take place in a vacuum. Without sharing the value is limited to personal edification (and perhaps prizes at trivia competitions).
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Interesting question, Tom (let me add my voice to the chorus of "happy to see you). I honestly don't know whether I consider myself a Tolkien scholar. I tend to think of myself more as a fan than as a scholar, but a number of the people that I most respect as Tolkien scholars, including Doug Anderson, John Garth, and Verlyn Flieger, have told me that they appreciate my work. Certainly, I think that there is no hard and fast set of requirements. I think I like Prim's definition: someone who has had significantly to others knowledge about Tolkien should be called a Tolkien scholar.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil

axordil wrote:Indeed, one can make an argument that scholarship, as opposed to research, cannot take place in a vacuum.
Yeah, all that noise would make it hard to think. Besides, the suction would be something terrible! ;)
Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:I think I like Prim's definition: someone who has had significantly to others knowledge about Tolkien should be called a Tolkien scholar.
This definition would lean more towards those who have published books or essays, such as you have done, Voronwë, then someone who holes himself up in a cave pouring over Tolkien's works by candlelight. (I personally prefer electric lights, but perhaps that's just me.)

I've given this subject more thought and have decided that I am a Tolkien Scholar. Wait, hold on! There are three definitions for the word 'scholar':

1. a learned or erudite person, especially one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject.
2. a student; pupil.
3. a student who has been awarded a scholarship.

Whether I possess "profound knowledge" is a matter of debate, but I am most definitely a student of Tolkien's works. :)

In any case, despite how it may appear this thread was not about me. I was reading a post on a message board where someone invoked "Tolkien Scholars". It struck me as odd, because when I make a point about Tolkien's mythology I support it with what Tolkien himself wrote rather than some so-called expert or authority. It's only those occasions where Tolkien wrote something that was open to interpretation, or he had written two or more things that appeared to contradict one another, that I might offer the view of an authority like Tom Shippey.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tom, great to see you! How have you been? :wave:

I do agree that the definition of scholar is someone who made a serious study of a subject. Someone who contributes to the sum of knowledge on the subject is an authority, IMO.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Frelga wrote:Tom, great to see you! How have you been? :wave:
Since you asked, terrible. (At least physically.) But I'd rather not get into that. Thanks for asking, though. :)

I wish this message board had a feature where you could click on someone's name and hear their voice. I recall Frelga having the most amazing accent!
Einstein and Gandalf. Somewhere some nerd is having the best dream ever!
What the hell does that mean? LOL! :D