‘The Hobbit’ Released for First Time on Enhanced Ebook

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

‘The Hobbit’ Released for First Time on Enhanced Ebook

Post by Elentári »

Harper Voyager Books has released ‘The Hobbit‘ as a downloadable Enhanced Ebook
Exclusive to this Enhanced version of the eBook are new high-resolution colour images of all of Tolkien’s illustrations for the book, many of which are also included in their earlier black-and-white versions, which can be revealed by a simple swipe of the screen. A Foreword by Christopher Tolkien examines the writing of the book, complete with illustrations including manuscript pages and unused drawings. Finally, the Enhanced eBook includes some recently discovered audio recordings of J.R.R. Tolkien reading excerpts from The Hobbit, including the dwarves’ party song, the account of their capture by the three trolls, and Bilbo Baggins’s terrifying encounter with the hideous Gollum.
It can be downloaded from the official Harper Voyager Facebook page. Kindle or iTunes store
Last edited by Elentári on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think I know what Santa (me) is going to put in her own stocking this Christmas. :D I have several physical-book editions of The Hobbit, but only have LotR on my Kindle yet.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Unfortunately it appears to be US only. Which of course means that fans like me will end up grabbing an illegal copy. Where is the sense and logic behind that?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

None at all. :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

UK rights and North American rights are sold separately, often to different publishers or strongly separate branches of the same publisher. They generally make their own separate marketing decisions. It would make sense if they coordinated, but it takes special effort and may not always be possible.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Which is why The Art of The Hobbit is published in the UK but not the US. But the difference is that a paper book like that is easily obtainable in the other jurisdiction legally, whereas an e-book is not.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Which is why The Art of The Hobbit is published in the UK but not the US. But the difference is that a paper book like that is easily obtainable in the other jurisdiction legally, whereas an e-book is not.
And I'm fixin' to buy The Art Of The Hobbit this weekend from AmazonUK!!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim, the Kindle version is iPhone/iPad only. :( While I do have an iphone, I don't fancy reading The Hobbit on it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll be looking for it to come out for the Nook.

:neutral:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's available for Nook at Barnes & Noble, Lali! The link on the Facebook page doesn't work for some reason, but it's on the B&N site.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now if it worked with Kindle software for PC/Mac and Android tablets....
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

They might sell a few to those of us who don't expect to own an iPhone or iPad until long after they've been replaced by something much cooler. :D