Oldest and Fatherless

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oldest and Fatherless

Post by Primula Baggins »

I knew it. I always knew it.

Oldest and Fatherless: The Terrible Secret of Tom Bombadil

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

Found via Making Light, like so much else that is interesting or amusing or geeky or all three.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

It all sounds fine except for the facts that we know know about Tolkien and his writings. Which summarily dismisses most of that.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

(I don't think it was entirely seriously meant.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Neither was mine. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:shock:

After all these years, you can still fool me?!!????
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I will never see Tom Bombadil in the same light again.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I can play the straight man, at times, if need be.
I'm not always Costello ya know.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ooz Costello?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Something like that.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:shock:

Makes you wonder if Tom knows what really happened to the Entwives??? :suspicious:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Anduril

Post by Anduril »

The author also did one theory for Star Wars: R2-D2 and Chewbacca were Rebel agents all along.

http://km-515.livejournal.com/746.html

Also this Tom theory is much older, dating from 1996: He's the Witch-king.

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

That wicked ol' Tom. :rofl: Makes me want to read the sequel: Lord of the Rings II: The Rise of Bombadil.

Good point about the Entwives, Elen. Cue the eerie music.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I LOVED that essay about Bombadil. And I love Bombadil, always did.

I wrote something very much like that myself, long ago. I wish I'd kept it.

Fanfic is fun. I wrote one about what Gandalf and Bombadil did after the Hobbits went back to the Shire.

*sigh*

Yeah, I like that essay. Who cares what Tolkien might have thought of it? Bombadil belongs to all of us.
Dig deeper.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

The article starts with these "facts":
What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is fat and jolly and smiles all the time. He is friendly and gregarious and always ready to help travellers in distress.
Except that anyone who is familiar with Bombadil beyond a few superficial assumptions knows that they are erroneous, as are the other "facts" in the essay. These types of pieces are so poorly researched it is painful to read them.

Perhaps one day I'll write a piece of my own entitled 'Tom Bombadil: He's Not Who You Think He Is.'
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I didn't get past that first sentence. I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't have appreciated the essay, so I figured I would leave it those who would.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think it was a joke, though not suiting everyone's sense of humor. I wouldn't have posted it if I'd realized it would upset people. I'll remember that in future.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It didn't upset me. I just knew it wouldn't be to my taste, so I skipped it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Prim, please don't regret posting the link. Each of us is responsible for his or her own reaction to it. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, I would expect you to react strongly, Old Tom, and in fact I might have thought twice about posting it if I'd thought you would see it. I prefer not to make people uncomfortable. Especially if I'm wishing they would post here more often! :)
Old_Tom_Bombadil

I don't mind being made uncomfortable, not that this essay had that effect on me. It's good to stimulate the little grey cells every now and again. :D

I would post more often if I thought anyone were interested in my adventures in Middle-earth via Lord of the Rings Online. See the thread Move to Middle-earth.