Paul Raymond Gregory - Art Inspired by the Works of JRRT

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Paul Raymond Gregory - Art Inspired by the Works of JRRT

Post by Elentári »

I thought, when I came across this artist's Tolkien website just now, that I was probably way behind the times, and probably everyone knows about him already...but I checked out the "Favourite Tolkien Artist" thread from circa 2006, and he wasn't mentioned!

British artist and illustrator Paul Raymond Gregory has spent many years describing onto canvas his interpretation of Tolkien’s epic tale “The Lord of the Rings”. Each painting is also stunningly framed - each and every frame for a particular painting has been carefully chosen by John Davies, the framer, in collaboration with Peter Nahum, the artist's patron.
As a group, they document a successful communication between collector and frame maker and demonstrate the interplay of painting and frame as a kind of Gesamtkunstwerk.
Check out his RingQuest video from his website – a documentary about the artist and his monumental paintings inspired by J.R.R Tolkien's books.

http://www.paulraymondgregory.com/video ... cumentary/

His style is somewhat reminiscent of Nasmith and the Hildebrandts in many respects...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's really good work, Elen. :)

I wish he had more Elves, personally, ;) but at least he includes some lesser portrayed scenes.