Who Wrote the Silmarillion?

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Who Wrote the Silmarillion?

Post by Alatar »

Note: I split this off from the thread on Tolkien's Physical Universe to avoid continuing to osgiliate that thread and to give this subject a chance to develop on its own - VtF
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: Ah, but what is the Silmarillion, Alatar? A completed work by Tolkien, or an amalgamation of different uncompleted works selectively chosen, combined and edited by his son? :)

Now that is the basis for a whole 'nother thread....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Incidentally, lets not forget Guy Gavriel Kays input. Since he's a novelist, it only stands to reason that he was brought in to rewrite sections or to write linking sections in matching prose. So which sections of the Silmarillion were not actually even written by Tolkien?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:shock:

I did not know that there were any sections written by someone else. That's a challenge for any discussion of the Sil, is it not?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

All I know is that Kay was credited. What his contribution was I can only surmise.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

As you say, Al, this really should be the topic of another thread. Briefly, however, the vast majority of the Sil IS J.R.R. Tolkien's own words. However, there were sections that were rewritten and/or added by Christopher (with unidentified assistance by Kay) to homogonize different parts that were written at different point of Tolkien's composition of the work.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Apologies for continuing the osgiliation ... but ... it is a fascinating question.

Here's from an interview with Kay:
CD: How did you get involved with editing J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion?

GGK: Christopher Tolkien’s second wife was a Winnipeg woman, and our families knew each other. So when they were visiting her parents on occasion in Winnipeg he and I met -- when I was an undergrad at the University of Manitoba. My usual joke is that we got on about as well as an Oxford don and a University of Manitoba undergraduate are going to get along. When his father died in the winter of ’73, he was named literary executor and had the responsibility for putting together The Silmarillion. He invited me to come over in the winter of ’74/’75 to work with him on that. I think in the inception the model in his mind was that this would be academic work. The model was the classic senior academic working with the bright grad student who does a lot of the various kinds of legwork and research. The irony is that the Silmarillion editing ended up being at least as much if not significantly more a creative exercise than a scholarly one. The purely scholarly books are the ones that he’s been producing subsequently. The difference between those two is a measure of the difference in the nature of what the editing was all about.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Incidentally Voronwë, I'm currently reading that "Lord of the Rings Companion" by Hammond and Schull that we discussed before. I'm only up to the discussion of the Preface, but it's certainly interesting and well researched.

Have you started reading it yet?
Voronwë the Faithful

I've only glanced at. Ironically (since I seem to have a reputation here as some sort of "Tolkien scholar") I have a problem getting into academic works about Tolkien. I recently started reading Verlyn Flieger's Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World and I have the same problem with that (though it also has lots of great stuff).

And now we have osgiliated the osgiliation. :upsidedown:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, to return to the original osgiliation...

Is there any indication in HoME how Christopher and Guy came to their decisions on what was to be included in the Sil and in what form?
Voronwë the Faithful

There really is not, that I can recall. Just drips and drabs here and there. It would require a detailed comparison of the Silmarillion text with the texts in HOME to get some sense of how much is Tolkien's own words and how much was edited/added. It might be an interesting exercise to do that; I don't know whether people have the interest or wherewithal to do that (or even whether I do).

Here is an interesting note from the Foreword to The Warof the Jewels
'The Silmarillion',again in the widest sense, is very evidently a literary entity of a singular nature. I would say that it can only be defined in terms of its history; and that history is with this book largely completed ('largely', because I have not entered further into the complexities of the tale of Túrin in those parts that my father left in confusion and uncertainty, as explained in Unfinished Tales, p. 6). It is indeed the only 'completion' possible, because it was always 'in progress'; the published work is not in any way a completion, but a construction devised out of the existing materials. Those materials are now made available, save only in a few details and in the matter of 'Túrin' just mentioned; and with them a criticism of the 'constructed' Silmarillion becomes possible. I shall not enter into that question; although it will be apparent in this book that there are aspects of the work that I view with regret.
Here is a quote for Unfinished Tales regarding the section in the Sil on Túrin:
My father was still evolving this part when he ceased to work on it; and the shorter version for The Silmarillion was to wait on the final development of the Narn. In preparing the text of The Silmarillion for publication I derived, by necessity, much of this section of the tale of Túrin from these very materials, which are of quite extraordinary complexity in their variety and interrelations
I know that while most of the published Silmarillion is taken from the Quenta itself, some sections are taken from The Grey Annals and The Annals of Aman. It has been some time since I have read those works, and so I will not comment any further. Except to say that I do not recall a single mention of Guy Kay in all of the HOME. That is not to say that there are not any; I just don't remember any. Just the single mention in the Foreword to the Silmarillion itself:
In the difficult and doubtful task of preparing the text of the book I was very greatly assisted by Guy Kay, who worked with me in 1974-1975.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I also am not familiar with a reference to Guy Kay in HoME, but that does not mean there isn't one.

As the interview explained, Kay was young when he worked on the Silmarillion - he wasn't a novelist yet, and therefore wasn't brought on board for that reason (in particular, anyway).

CJRT has been fairly decent about discussing mistakes in the published Sil that he noticed while working on HoME. For instance, the confusion of whether the Halls of Mandos were North or West, and the ancestry of Gil-galad (the idea that he was Fingon's son was ephemeral, but that was not obvious when CJRT chose that variation - also, it was the simplest).

Also, he has pointed out where he made purely 'editorial' changes, such as retaining a passage from 'The Fall of Gondolin', but dropping the reference to the battle of 'Rog, outside the walls' - since Rog was clearly an elvish name that would have been altered, later, had Tolkien ever rewritten that story fully. I think dropping the reference to Amarië at Finrod's death was much the same (I don't know that it was justified by any text).

Much of his commentary points out where significant details are introduced, and how the version of the story being presented measures up to the published Sil. I mean, he gives us what we need to see how he did his work, though he does not always justify the choices he made.

I think it was Eluchíl who pointed out in a thread on TORc an example of some of the blending CJRT had to do:
  • What were the names of Elwing's brothers?
    What was their fate?
    Who was responsible?
Edit: Found the thread!
What happened to Elwing's brothers?
The stellar post, though, belonged to Scirocco :oops:

There were at least three different versions of these details, and none was clearly 'final' or 'best'. But some decision had to be made, if you were going to tell their story.

Also, the Tale of Eärendil and the War of Wrath was pretty much in disarray, wasn't it? I know that it was sketched at various times, but was there anything approaching a final version of that? I thought (perhaps erroneously) that CJRT had to basically write that himself, though of course basing it on JRRT's writings. The transitions, of course, have been smoothed over by him as an editor, as well.
Voronwë the Faithful

MithLuin wrote:The stellar post, though, belonged to Scirocco
No big surprise there. :)
Also, the Tale of Eärendil and the War of Wrath was pretty much in disarray, wasn't it? I know that it was sketched at various times, but was there anything approaching a final version of that? I thought (perhaps erroneously) that CJRT had to basically write that himself, though of course basing it on JRRT's writings. The transitions, of course, have been smoothed over by him as an editor, as well.
My understanding (I'm at work, so I can't look this up right now), is that the only completed versions of those tales were in the older (pre-LOTR) versions of the Sil, and that Christopher had to rewrite those to get them to fit with the more recent reworking of the earlier sections. I'll try to look that up when I have some time.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Although this possibly belongs in the Silmarillion discussion proper, I've always wondered if there was more detail on the Drowning of Beleriand. I remember when I first read the Silmarillion I had to go back to check what the hell happened to Beleriand. It's glossed over completely, with no discussion of the huge loss of life that must have occurred or any description of how the survivors made it to the Ered Luin and beyond.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

Yes, it was certainly glossed over by Tolkien, and the same goes for the Downfall of Númenor (certainly the side-effects, not so much the events themselves). I was just glancing over Christopher Tolkien's Commentary at the end of The Later Annals of Beleriand in HoME V (which discusses the issue), and it struck me how incompletely thought out the whole idea was. At one stage the Drowning and the Downfall seem to have been one and the same. I think this is an area where Christopher Tolkien must have had to exercise considerable editorial effort.

Which brings me to a hobbyhorse of mine. I find it strange in the extreme that CT should have gone to the monumental effort that he did, to document the phases of development of his father's works, and yet singularly omitted to document the final stage of that development, his own, into the published Sil. We are left to piece together how he achieved that feat. Sure, there are odds and scraps to be gleaned throughout HoME, but does no-one else find incongruous the contrast between, say, his own meticulous picking apart of no less than four versions of A Long-Expected Party, and his own sparse comments on his own work? Perhaps we need an Annotated Silmarillion to go with LOTR and Hobbit! :)

Speaking of Guy Kay, CT does acknowledge on several occasions Kay's significant contributions to the preparation of the Silmarillion:
...all the editorial labour of myself and of Guy Kay who assisted me was directed to the end that my father had stated in the letter of 1963: 'The legends have to be worked over... and made consistent; and they have to be integrated with the L.R....

Foreword, BOLT1

...It is proper to mention that here as elsewhere almost every substantial change was discussed with Guy Kay, who worked with me in 1974-5 on the preparation of The Silmarillion. He indeed made many suggestions for the construction of the text (such as, in the tale of Beren and Lúthien, the introduction of a passage from the Lay of Leithian), and proposed solutions to problems arising in the making of a composite narrative - in some cases of major significance to the structure...

Quenta Silmarillion, Ch 12-15, HoME V

...This story was not lightly or easily conceived, but was the outcome of long experimentation among alternative conceptions. In this work Guy Kay took a major part, and the chapter that I finally wrote owes much to my discussions with him...

The Tale of Years, HoME XI (regarding the story of Húrin at Nargothrond)
This does tend to bear out Kay's own testimony as posted above by Sassafras. Interesting to note the major part played by Kay in the Nargothrond story (I recommend reading CT's description of the editorial changes, which I truncated in the third quote above.) One of the few places such changes and developments are clearly documented.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I wonder, wonder who, who-oo-ooh, who
Who wrote the Silmarillion?

Tell me, tell me, tell me
Oh, who wrote the Silmarillion?
I've got to know the answer
Was it someone from a cotillion?

:whistle:
Voronwë the Faithful

scirocco wrote:Which brings me to a hobbyhorse of mine. I find it strange in the extreme that CT should have gone to the monumental effort that he did, to document the phases of development of his father's works, and yet singularly omitted to document the final stage of that development, his own, into the published Sil. We are left to piece together how he achieved that feat. Sure, there are odds and scraps to be gleaned throughout HoME, but does no-one else find incongruous the contrast between, say, his own meticulous picking apart of no less than four versions of A Long-Expected Party, and his own sparse comments on his own work?
scirocco, I have often thought the same. I'm glad I am not the only one to have noted that and been a little frustrated by it.
Perhaps we need an Annotated Silmarillion to go with LOTR and Hobbit! :)
Yes, that's kind of what I was suggesting. Going through the published Silmarillion chapter by chapter, and comparing it with the various texts in the HOME to determine exactly what the sources for the text was, and exactly what was edited/added by CT (and Guy Kay). Would you be up for such an extensive (and at times tedious) task? Would anyone else be?
Speaking of Guy Kay, CT does acknowledge on several occasions Kay's significant contributions to the preparation of the Silmarillion:
...all the editorial labour of myself and of Guy Kay who assisted me was directed to the end that my father had stated in the letter of 1963: 'The legends have to be worked over... and made consistent; and they have to be integrated with the L.R....

Foreword, BOLT1

...It is proper to mention that here as elsewhere almost every substantial change was discussed with Guy Kay, who worked with me in 1974-5 on the preparation of The Silmarillion. He indeed made many suggestions for the construction of the text (such as, in the tale of Beren and Lúthien, the introduction of a passage from the Lay of Leithian), and proposed solutions to problems arising in the making of a composite narrative - in some cases of major significance to the structure...

Quenta Silmarillion, Ch 12-15, HoME V

...This story was not lightly or easily conceived, but was the outcome of long experimentation among alternative conceptions. In this work Guy Kay took a major part, and the chapter that I finally wrote owes much to my discussions with him...

The Tale of Years, HoME XI (regarding the story of Húrin at Nargothrond)
Thanks for pulling out those quotes. I figured that they were there; I just didn't remember them. :)
This does tend to bear out Kay's own testimony as posted above by Sassafras. Interesting to note the major part played by Kay in the Nargothrond story (I recommend reading CT's description of the editorial changes, which I truncated in the third quote above.) One of the few places such changes and developments are clearly documented.
Indeed. Maybe if we go through the text and come up a list of alterations and additions, we can then contact CT and Guy and ask them to confirm who did what.

Or maybe not. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Perhaps we need an Annotated Silmarillion to go with LOTR and Hobbit! :)
Yes, that's kind of what I was suggesting. Going through the published Silmarillion chapter by chapter, and comparing it with the various texts in the HOME to determine exactly what the sources for the text was, and exactly what was edited/added by CT (and Guy Kay). Would you be up for such an extensive (and at times tedious) task? Would anyone else be?
Actually I'd be very interested. It would give me a purpose in reading HoME which I must say I can't read for pure pleasure. It's too much like hard work.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

There's no doubt it needs doing, but the scale and difficulty of it is pretty scary. Perhaps when broken up into sections like the TORC Annotated LOTR it would be more manageable.

We'd probably find someone like Hammond and Scull, or Verlyn Flieger, or Douglas Anderson is already doing it, like what happened with the TORC LOTR Annotation Project. :)

Go for it Alatar! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Actually, now that you mention it, haven't Hammond and Schull published "Th Complete Tolkien Reader"? I's about 3 times the price of the LotR Companion so I assume it must cover the Silmarillion at least.
scirocco

Post by scirocco »

The Complete Tolkien Reader is by J.E.A Tyler, and, while it does use sources from the HoME series, it tries to be an encyclopaedia, not any sort of analysis of the Silmarillion.

Hammond and Scull have written The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion, which I don't have, but from the review on Amazon does not appear to be a Sil analysis either.

I recall now that a poster by the name of johnboy back on TORC did start a project like we've been talking about (see this thread for details. We soon reached the conclusion that it couldn't be done online, as it would inevitably involve posting large quantities of the texts, which would breach copyright restrictions. To be fair, he was intending to re-write the Sil "the way it should be" :), whereas I'd be happy with just seeing how CT arrived at the finished product.

And really, the only way to do what I'd like to see, would be to present the published Sil text in columns alongside the Quenta or Annals text (or whichever source appeared to be what CT based the published text on), with foonotes or side-notes commenting on the changes. While this would be perfectly possible to do, the result couldn't legitimately be posted on the net.

An Annotation project in the style of the TORC LOTR one would be interesting, but without the ability to display the source and published texts for comparison, could be a bit of a damp squib.
Last edited by scirocco on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.