Parma Eldalamberon 20 - The Qenya Alphabet

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Parma Eldalamberon 20 - The Qenya Alphabet

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

PARMA ELDALAMBERON 20

The Qenya Alphabet

Documents by J. R. R. TOLKIEN

Edited with introduction and commentary by Arden R. Smith

http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma20.html

_The Qenya Alphabet_ is an edition of Tolkien's charts and notes dealing with the circa 1931 version of the writing-system later called "Fëanorian Tengwar." It includes 40 documents in which Tolkien's examples of the scripts are reproduced using electonic scans of black-and-white photocopies of the original manuscripts.

Among the documents are explanations of the use of the script for representing English, both phonetically and also orthographically, or at least in part according to the peculirarities of English spelling. These have charts of the theoretical values of the sounds represented by the letters, and various English words and texts written in the scripts.

There are also numerous specimen texts written by Tolkien in the Qenya Alphabet, including four unpublished letters. Most of the examples are in English, but there are also texts in Latin, Old English and Old High German. Perhaps the most remarkable are four versions of the "Gloria" from the Latin mass, in different styles that Tolkien described as "large rounded," "formal book-hand rounded," "large pointed," and "pointed angular style."

As in previous editions of Tolkien's earlier writing-systems published in _Parma Eldalamberon_, the editor has provided transcriptions of the examples texts along with commentary on their dating and historical background.

_Parma Eldalamberon_ Issue Number 20 is a 160-page journal.

Publication Date: 3 August 2012

The cost is $35 per copy including postage and handling world-wide. You can reserve a copy by ordering it now via PayPal at the following link:

<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... BKJGMUNSLQ>

Or by sending a check to:

Christopher Gilson
1240 Dale Avenue, No. 40
Mountain View, CA 94040
U. S. A.
cgilson75@hotmail.com
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you Vinnie! I would dearly love a copy of that, but will have to see how far my budget will bend.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't go in for most of the linguistic stuff (over my head), but I'm going to get this one. It is such a seminal moment in the creation of Tolkien's legendarium.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."