Mary Fairburn - Artist Who Made Tolkien Reconsider...

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Elentári

Mary Fairburn - Artist Who Made Tolkien Reconsider...

Post by Elentári »

On March 14, 1967, Tolkien wrote to his publisher, Rayner Unwin, “As far as an English edition goes, I myself am not at all anxious for The Lord of the Rings to be illustrated by anybody whether a genius or not”. Tolkien thought illustrations did “little good” to stories of the fantasy or fairy-tale kind – but when it came to The Lord of the Rings, the ill-fated work of Mary Fairburn made him reconsider...

A Vision of Middle-earth

A wonderful article was published in the Times literary Supplement back in September on the artist Mary Fairburn, whose work Tolkien greatly admired, and, indeed desired to purchase. His favourite was a drawing of Galadriel at the Well in Lórien, which he said “attracts me because it so very nearly corresponds to my own mental vision of the scene.” He did not simply like Miss Fairburn’s pictures: he liked them as illustrations of the book, and approved of her as an potential illustrator of his work, as opposed to artists such as Cor Blok and Pauline Baynes, whom although he purchased their work as isolated paintings, did not consider them illustrator material.
Mary Fairburn’s images are a particularly significant response to The Lord of the Rings, and the artist’s correspondence with Tolkien makes them uniquely interesting and valuable. It may be argued that Tolkien was – irrespective of his actual feelings – usually polite to admirers who sent him their creative tributes to his work. In 1962, for example, when the Scottish composer Thea Musgrave proposed writing a musical drama based on the novel, Tolkien “told [her] that he would await further developments with interest”, although in writing to Rayner Unwin, he said more frankly that “he is not excited about the project”. But Tolkien’s comments to Mary Fairburn about her work go far beyond polite interest. When he complimented her on her “attention to the text”, and told her that her paintings conformed to his own “mental vision” and were causing him to reconsider his view that the book should not be illustrated, this was more than gratuitous flattery. And his reiterated request to see more of her paintings, and in particular his “private offer of purchase” and “gift” of £50, were far more than mild encouragement. Her paintings were seen and approved by him, not simply as fine paintings of his imaginary land, but as sympathetic and illuminating illustrations of his book, that – had circumstances been different – he might have been prepared to see printed alongside his text. They thus offer a unique insight into the author’s own vision of The Lord of the Rings.
The article goes on to give a fascinating insight into the unfortunate circumstances that conspired to prevent Fairburn getting a commission from Tolkien's publishers, quoting extensively from the correspondance between Tolkien and Fairburn.
Last edited by Elentári on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's fascinating Elen. I wonder if there's scans of her images online anywhere?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

A quick search uncovered these two...in further reference to the TLS article:

http://www.themarysue.com/undiscovered- ... strations/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Elen, you are a goldmine of Tolkien digging! :)

This is fascinating. Goodness, if she'd been able to get that commission, that might well have been the making of her. :( Rather like Pauline Baynes with Narnia (Tolkien liked Baynes' work, too).

I am fascinated that he liked her Galadriel at the Well so much. My first impression was that it's good rather than great, but I'm probably not making a fair assessment as I need to see a bigger version of the picture. It does have a pleasing quality about it, very stylised: Tolkien seemed to like that (his own artwork is very stylised, of course, very Art Deco). I quite like Fairburn's depiction of the hobbits - and Galadriel, of course, with her long golden braid and simple white gown ... I always imagine Galadriel with her hair loose, though.

Fairburn's black-and-white rendition of the Fellowship on the Anduin is striking. I hope more of her work comes to light. :)

I am actually glad that LotR remained unillustrated for so long because there was no 'official' version and it helped our imaginations run riot. :) Having said that, I just love Alan Lee's Tolkien art. And a lot of John Howe's.

Lee is seriously classy, and I adore his use of watercolour. Mind you, even he doesn't quite get hobbits right, at least pre-PJ. I love his landscapes, though, and his Galadriel is lovely, as is his Gimli and Legolas.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Those are both excellent illustrations, I agree. The Anduin one has a bit of The Great Wave off Kanagawa and a bit of Aubrey Beardsley.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

i like the braid. Loose long hair in the woods is asking for trouble. Not digging the yoga stretch as much.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Interestingly, Ted Nasmith also portrayed Galadriel with her hair bound back:

The pose is similar in respect to the stretching arm...it seems the moment when Frodo glimpses Nenya on Galadriel's finger is a popular one with artists, generally.
~Diana Cortes